• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Christmas Mix

Rich Pawlak

Since 1997, when I was first invited to participate, a jolly bunch of us in the Philadelphia area have gathered every holiday season to assemble what has come to be called The Christmas Mix. Steered and organized by beer writer Lew Bryson, with help from several other passionate beer geeks, its has been, for us, the ultimate beer Christmas present: 24 winter/holiday/Xmas beers, one per case, a case of joy for 24 lucky people.

We are doing the same this year, assembling at the Grey Lodge Public House in Philly(www.greylodge.com) on Monday, December 29 and making up these cases. This is not a money-making venture of any kind, and several of us are already out purchasing the cases at distributorships all over the place, as far away as Maryland, to be ready for Dec. 29. The case price every year has averaged between $32-35 usually, and I expect, from initial purchasing so far, for that price to continue.

We have some slots available this year, and I want to open it up to the folks here, especially to the ones within geographic range for pickup on Dec 29. For those interested who live further away, I'm sure we can calculate shipping, but there is always the risk of damage, and, of course the consideranble expense of shipping a case of beer. It's been done, but that's just the caveat.

Just to whet your whistle, this is what we have planned for the Christmas Mix, with some possible changes due to availibility etc.:

Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale,

Troegs Mad Elf

Wild Goose Snow Goose

Bert Grants Deep Powder

Anchor OSA

River Horse Frost Bite

Harpoon Winter Warmer

Victory Old Horizontal

Old Dominion Winter

Appalachian Susquehanna Stout

Monk's Cafe Sour

Clipper City Winter

Pyramid Snow Cap

Penn St. Nikolaus

Avery Old Jubilation

Geary’s Hampshire Winter

Bell’s Java Stout

North Coast Wintertime

Weyerbacher Winter

Pivovar Winter Lager

Otter Creek A Winter’s Ale or Alpine Ale

Anderson Valley Winter Solstice

Harvey Christmas Ale

Heavyweight Old Salty

Flying Fish Grand Cru

Lancaster Winter Warmer

E-mail me here for details on payment in advance when possible, and get a case of beer like no other. Joining us all at the Grey Lodge, on December 29, will be (check out their current beer menu!) even more special and fun, if you can.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

That is one impressive list.

One of the coolest Christmas presents I ever received was years ago from a girlfriend (shhh, don't tell my wife) whose brother did a similar thing with his friends. At the time, micro/craft beers were not as abundant, so the case consisted of mostly foreign beers, but not too much run of the mill stuff.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

Well, we've filled all the slots for this year's Christmas Mix, and I'm looking forward to meeting some of the eGulleteers and other beer fanatics who will be joining us on Dec 29 at the Grey Lodge Public House in Philadelphia. We will have a cheese sampling from DiBruno's of Philadelphia, brought by one of the new Mix sharholders, to enjoy with our holiday toasts, so it should be a terrific time. Join us anyway for a holiday beer!

Here is what we ended up with for the 2003 Christmas Mix, after a few changes due to availabilty:

1.Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale

2.Troegs Mad Elf

3. Wild Goose Snow Goose

4. Bert Grant's Deep Powder

5. Anchor Our Special Ale

6. River Horse Frost Bite

7. Victory Old Horizontal

8. Old Dominion Winter

9. Appalachian Susquehanna Stout

10. Monk's Cafe Sour

11. Abita Christmas Ale

12. Clipper City High Seas Winter Ale

13. Pyramid Snow Cap

14. Penn St. Nickolaus

15. Avery Old Jubilation

16. Geary’s Hampshire Winter

17. Bell’s Java Stout

18. Weyerbacher Winter

19. Pivovar Klaster Winter Lager

20. Otter Creek Alpine Ale

21. Anderson Valley Winter Solstice

22. Harvey Christmas Ale

23. Heavyweight Old Salty

24. Flying Fish Grand Cru Winter

Maybe the best Xmas Mix ever, and all of it, for under $35. I can't wait to sample some of these beauties.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

During the late 80's and early 90's a group of about 8 of my friends and myself used to scatter far & wide collecting cases of holiday cheer. Unfortunately we have scattered to the wind, the search became harder for fewer rewards and I haven't participated in 7 or 8 years.

It was a lot of fun. Sounds like you folks are going to have a great gathering.

Happy holidays to all.

Jeez Rich - this sounds like fun! Can a non-beer geek come for the festivities and cheer? I'd be happy to have a glass of wine and some cheese and goof off with all you beer-o-pliles.

What time are you doing this?

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol