• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Poor folk wine

Pogo

Once a lurker but now a member, I have often wondered why no one has addressed the subject of wines that are more

affordable, say under $15. I think there are some out there, and to jump-start suggestions, here is one: Liberty School Cab,

$11.50-12.99.

I like the Liberty School Cab., very much. Just abou the only decent California Cab I can afford.

Been drinking a lot of a Buzet lately: Baron D'Ardeuil, 2000. retails in Ontario at $CAN 16.90, which would be about $12 US.

Edited, to add: welcome to eGullet, Pogo!

Edited by malcolmjolley (log)

Malcolm Jolley

Gremolata.com

Pogo, you're speaking my language now .. but under $15? How about under $10!

I have zero skill at writing tasting notes. The wine experts would eat me alive. But here are three wines that I've had within the past week that I would buy again:

$9.99 Chateau Gabaron Bordeaux 2000

$9.99 "Neonato by Marques de Murrieta" Rioja 2000

$9.99 Villa Maria Riesling 2001 ("New Zealand Cellar Selection")

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

three words: two-buck chuck

(at Trader Joes)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Here are some additions from me, prices are actual in St. Louis pre-tax:

Spain (my favorite hunting ground for affordable good wine):

2001 Borsao Campo De Borja $6.99

2000 Osborne Solaz $6.99

2001 Rivola $11.99

France:

2000 Castelmaure Corbieres Grand Cuvee $14.99

Italy:

2000 Monte Antico $11.50

2001 Vitiano $10.00

Hope this helps,

Jay Doyle

When I first saw the title of this thread; I thought it was referring to poorly made wine made at home (by folks...) :biggrin:

Reminded me when growing up of a member of the immigrant community my family was a part of in CT. He had a house on the outskirts of town; some land on which he grew grapes and used to make his own wine. The wine was brought out at big picnics. It was a nice idea, but the first few glasses were a little difficult to drink--and you didn't feel so well the next day...

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

(at Trader Joes)

Aaaaaagggghhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

:shock::shock::shock::shock:

I thought it would provoke some comment (or sounds of strangulated, gasping... :smile: ) but two-buck was a god-send for me during my unemployed hiatus.

For one thing, it allowed me to keep my wine cellar of good wine intact until I had $$$ again to entertain and cook food worthy of it...

Two spanish wines that I love to drink despite thier low prices are Telmo Rodrigeuz Dehessa Gago and Castano Hecula. Both of these wines are very fruit forward with a bit of soft tannin. Here in Vancouver they sell for $16.95-17.95. BTW the Liberty School Cab you speak of is $29.95. I would rather drink both of these wines.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

(at Trader Joes)

As I understand the guy responsible for bringing Charles Shaw "Two Buck Chuck" to Trader Joes was fired. I heard from someone currently working on a wine distribution deal with Trader Joes that they lost a LOT of money on it and are not likely to continue doing it at $1.99.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

2001 Borsao Campo De Borja $6.99

We used to buy this by the case. It was a great everyday wine & a great party wine.

Los Vascos Cabernet Sauvignon, from Chile, by the Lafite Rothschild folks. Their regular Cab is $7 & their Reserve is about $12, I believe. Had the Reserve a couple of weeks ago. Very nice Cab, especially for the price.

(at Trader Joes)

I thought it would provoke some comment (or sounds of strangulated, gasping... :smile: ) but two-buck was a god-send for me during my unemployed hiatus.

For one thing, it allowed me to keep my wine cellar of good wine intact until I had $$$ again to entertain and cook food worthy of it...

Buy Franzia in a box -- it is the same product (different marketing scheme, but same producer).

Maybe pouring it out of a bottle makes you believe it tastes better than the stuff out of a box. I don't think it does.

(at Trader Joes)

As I understand the guy responsible for bringing Charles Shaw "Two Buck Chuck" to Trader Joes was fired. I heard from someone currently working on a wine distribution deal with Trader Joes that they lost a LOT of money on it and are not likely to continue doing it at $1.99.

Not according to their website: Trader Joe's on Two-Buck-Chuck From their site:

Seriously though, we'll continue to sell Charles Shaw wine at value prices as long as the quality remains the same, we can keep our costs low and the wine is still available.  This should be the case (pun intended) for quite some time.  It's a Shaw World after all.

I have noticed they have event started to introduce new "varietals" - I'm not familiar with Pinot Noir Gamay... is anyone else?

I read that as well. I'm just telling you what I've heard, from a very reliable source.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

One of my favorite things to do, is to buy a wine for under $10 and roll the dice on it. Its a crap shoot, win some lose some. Fortunately I sometimes find one I really enjoy and I make note of it to buy a bunch next time to have for friends and guests. The ones I don't enjoy get served to unwanted guests. :wink: I have a lot of luck with Argentinean wines, they are a great value, i.e. Bodega Norton Malbec. In general I end up with good cooking wine though.

Poste

(at Trader Joes)

Buy Franzia in a box -- it is the same product (different marketing scheme, but same producer).

Maybe pouring it out of a bottle makes you believe it tastes better than the stuff out of a box. I don't think it does.

Scary! I've never had wine in a box (knowingly, anyway) so I couldn't say.

I do think it is better than many other supermarket wines under $10. Even if that is true, it is still certainly an individual choice of whether or not it meets a personal minimal threshold in quality! :smile:

(at Trader Joes)

Went to the local Trader Joes a few months ago when they were introducing 3 buck chuck ($2.99 in Chicago). Asked the manager "how is it"? He asked "do you like wine"? I said "yes". He said "buy something else".

(at Trader Joes)

Went to the local Trader Joes a few months ago when they were introducing 3 buck chuck ($2.99 in Chicago). Asked the manager "how is it"? He asked "do you like wine"? I said "yes". He said "buy something else".

Ouch!

Okay, I give up. How about another suggestions.

I like Bonny Doon wines; while I like some of their other wines better, their house wines (Ca D'Solo?) are pretty good for the price.

Navarro Vineyards also has wines for excellent value but I'm pretty sure you have to buy directly from them (or enjoy at a restaurant).

According to this, Fred Franzia "has no connection to the Franzia wine brand."

http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/liv...ood/5319698.htm

Edit: But they're wrong, aren't they?

Edited by MsRamsey (log)

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.