• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NJ snow

tommy

Hey Susan.. I am from Boca Raton, FL - but working here in NJ. My friends were teasing me all day today.

Left work @ 11:00 AM in Piscataway and headed back home to Verona. As you came north the snow was less and less. Route 280 was a nightmere.

I actually BBQ'd some hamburgers and hot dogs tonight on the grill out back. My father took a picture of me out there.

Sunday we have reservations for a birthday dinner at the Mt. Fuji on top of the hill in NY (former Motel on the moutain). It's near Tuxedo, but not sure if that's what they call it over there off the Thruway. We shall see what Sunday looks like.

[As you came north the snow was less and less. Route 280 was a nightmere]

I've lived in West Orange practically my whole life, and one of the first things I tell people is avoid 280 whenever it snows at all costs. One of the keys to geting up it is NEVER stop, just keep moving at all costs... When 280 had it's first few winters, schoolmates of mine would stand on the side of the road in snowstorms, when cars got stuck they would offer to push them up the hill for $50.00, and made TONS of money :laugh: Nowadays, no one would even think of doing it, to dangerous and to many cars go up the shoulder.

What you may want to consider is take route 78 and then go through the reservation...no hills to speak of that way, or, take 22 East to Springfield. If you need directions you can email me :smile:

Sue

http:/www.etuinc.com

It snowed here-once.

We lived in Louisiana when I was a kid, from like '61 – '64. It snowed once back then. Me and the sibs all had pneumonia at the time, but my parents – diehard Yankees – let us go out and play in it anyway.

I wish that some of you could experience a good storm like this here in Vermont (or anywhere that snow is a regular thing).

Here is how you have to do it when you have kids that are small and want to see snow.

You get the weather report up North (Memphis or North Alabama is North to me :laugh: ) and figure out where the snow is. Pile the kids in the car and start driving. Slowly it starts to look like what winter is supposed to look like and the kids start screaming "Stop, Dad, Stop!". Dad continues on until he can no longer stand the screams of excited boys. I then find a State Park or some other open space and fling open the doors to the car and the kids run out and play until they are reasonably satiated with snow and cold. Thaw 'em out and do it again until it is time to go home (sometimes a day or two).

These impromptu trips are usually alot of fun and we seem to always end up with a few extra boys along for the ride. We have been doing this for years and I will be very sorry when they have outgrown the tradition.

Actually, once you get away from the Deep Gulf South there is snow on occasion in Louisiana (generally north of I-20). I grew up in the Mississippi Delta in Northeast Louisiana and it would snow a couple of times a year. The ONLY hills in that area (as it is the largest farmed, arable landmass on the face of the earth) are levees to hold the rivers and streams back. We would go to the levee and slide up and down on anything that was slick (no one, that I knew, ever had an official sled). The best thing that I ever had to slide on was a ceramic square that came out of the bottom of an old stove. Wow, was that thing fast. The downside of our sledding technique involved the end of the ride. We had to duck and go under a barbed wire fence. Potential decapitation, for those of you that have never experienced it, will increase the excitement factor greatly :wacko::wink:

Edited for crummy spelling and worse typing :angry:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

We were off yesterday and did some holiday shopping in the Flemington outlets. We pretty much had the place to ourselves. Stopped at Wegman's on the way home and stocked up to make a mediteranean chicken stew with olives and preserved lemon (Fine Cooking) and some apples for apple crisp. There were no crowds at Wegman's. They had plenty of bread and milk.

We got about six inches of snow here in Martinsville yesterday. About two more inches have fallen already today. Let it snow - we've got good food and plenty of liquor! :biggrin:

KathyM

Went to the Chip Shop (Brooklyn) last night. Had diiep fried mac & cheese, deep fried fish & chips and a deep fried Snickers bar for dessert. It was heavenly.

Slept in till noon today, got up and made a spinach and fontina omlette, some wheat toast, a pseudo-mimosa (OJ and seltzer), and some vanilla hazelnut coffee.

Gonna watch movies and do some baking today, then I'm sure I'll get antsy enough to want to head out tonight. I think a friendly bowling tournament will be in order.

Sherri A. Jackson

I wish everyone could see how beautiful City Hall Park looks, especially the Xmas-tree and shrubs in the fountain with the gaslights at the corners. :wub:

The snow would have to be up to my windowsills -- I'm on the ninth floor -- for me to cancel tonight's reservations: Amma, with HWOE and other eGulleteers! :biggrin:

We had about 6 inches as of about noon today, and it seemed things were tapering off. Then, about 1:30 we quickly got into near whiteout conditions and are now up to 11 inches! It got to the point where snow was even accumulating on top of the gas light in my back yard...

snowDec2003.JPG

Doing up a hunk of Corned beef & cabbage for dinner.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Snow now blowing horizontally here in Bergen County-- Supposed to go to NY for dinner tomorrow, may postpone, parking is a nightmare in the city when it snows--

The heck with Florida-- for a warm climate with some splash, what about the South of France?

P.S. KimWB-- the pussycat looks sooo cute--- what's his/her name?

What is deep fried mac and cheese?

A tasty treat? :laugh:

A big hunk of mac & cheese, battered and deep fried. :wub:

that sounds pretty good. i've got some frozen mac and cheese, which i'd normally pan fry. perhaps i'll reconsider.

Oh yes. This stuff was incredible.

And the battered and deep fried Snickers bar. Well, words just can't describe...

P.S. I was so disappointed that I didn't have my camera with me. I plan to go back soon and snap pics of all this fried goodness.

Edited by sherribabee (log)
Sherri A. Jackson

We had about 6 inches as of about noon today, and it seemed things were tapering off.  Then, about 1:30 we quickly got into near whiteout conditions and are now up to 11 inches!  It got to the point where snow was even accumulating on top of the gas light in my back yard...

Great picture ----- looks like my place. The only things not gilded with snow is my little bamboo patch. They have been swaying all day making their own shower of snow. I think I'm the only one feeding birds in this area --as thay are ALL in my back yard!!! I've got some good ones, but also some pesky ones who need birth control.

Dinner tonight will be chili. I'm not big chili fan but it seems kinda 'stick to the ribs'. I have a bread in the machine. It may not go with chili, but it sure smells good right now.

Battered and deep/fried Mac and Cheese? Will that work on the South Beach Diet? LOL!

What hot adult beverages might some of you be sipping this evening in NJ?

It's cold for here, and it's going to be a crisp and clear night, so we're planning to take a walk in the neighborhood after dinner with our travel mugs full of something hot and good, to look at the Christmas lights. People here are CRAZY about outside lights, much more than I have seen anywhere else! :huh: It's beautiful.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

P.S. KimWB-- the pussycat looks sooo cute--- what's his/her name?

Molly, 4 month old Maine Coon, quite a little tomboy, totally charming.

What a peaceful day...baked the "chip" cookies today..chocolate with no nuts, milk chocolate with nuts, and buttercotch/white chocolate. Tomorrow will be the cookie press ones...these all freeze well, so I can keep them stashed until its time to compose the cookie platters for friends and family.

We're drinking Cassanove di Neri, Pietradonice 2001. Was planning to make a leg of lamb, but I froze it becauseI wanted to wrap it in Pancetta, didn't have any...husband took our learning permitted son out on the roads to get a feel for snow...came back with a 3-rib prime rib

Susan what part of FL are you in?

In regards to Rt 280 - I typically never go home that way but it is the quickest. I typically take 287 to 78 eat and then go through Millburn and then the reservation. I know I have a long ride to and from work each day. It's making me old at my tender young age. :)

Anyhow.. had some chicken soup with noodles and rice for lunch with a bologna sandwich.

Not sure what to have for din din. I wish I could make it to Marks house!

These last few days have been a terrific reminder of just how crucial a well-stocked freezer and pantry can be! I've been home with an awful cold since the middle of the week, and can honestly say that the only thing I actually needed to get was Afrin! I've discovered all sorts of goodies in my freezer, including homemade minestrone and chicken soup, a meat sauce w/zuchini and portobellos in it, and a small carmelized onion focaccia from Wegman's. Those last two items made for a good dinner tonight, and I was actually able to taste them both--what a concept! My non-foodie (and healthy) friends are all quite jealous; they're stuck home eating canned soup and pb & j!

Rosie, what do you have against Oatmeal? Once a YEAR? I make it on Sunday nights and take it with me to work all week! Try adding some interesting stuff, i.e. walnuts, maple syrup, C/raisins or other dried fruits. You might be pleasantly surprised!

As for snow totals, we've easily surpassed 12" here in southern Bergen County...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

What hot adult beverages might some of you be sipping this evening in NJ?

It's not hot but it's seasonal - I've got eggnog spiked with kahlua, with a bit of milk over ice.

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Rachel made a hot cocoa seasoned with orange zest and coffee today. Outstanding.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host