• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

You know you are in a bad restaurant when....

Carlovski

• Any item is descibed as 'The Chef's' - who the hells else is it?
  • The salad dressing (indeed anything else on the menu) is described as special, or secret
  • You can pay extra to have it on a 'sizzler'
  • The waiter/waitress tells you their name

Any other good signs?

I love animals.

They are delicious.

edited to add:

Any item is descibed as 'The Chef's' - who the hells else is it?

:laugh:

The waiter/waitress tells you their name

:hmmm:

Their management forced friendliness, warmth and kind attentiveness to your every need translated into providing something to call them is no indication of the food that is being served. Ahem.

Do a search, there have been a few similar discussions kicked around eG about things of this nature.

Edited by beans (log)

Unclean restrooms. If that's what the public spaces look like, I shudder to think about what's behind those kitchen doors :blink:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Their management forced friendliness, warmth and kind attentiveness to your every need translated into providing something to call them is no indication of the food that is being served. Ahem.

Good point. What I meant to moan about is the pre canned greetings masquerading as warm and friendly service.

I love animals.

They are delicious.

Good point. What I meant to moan about is the pre canned greetings masquerading as warm and friendly service.

Meh.

:laugh:

It's Saturday Night,

dinner time

and you're the only customers.

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

The staff are all wearing nametags.

The staff are all wearing "Flair".

Vinyl tablecloths.

The menus are laminated and have food bonded to them.

The condiments come in squeeze packets.

Bill Russell

You suddenly remember seeing it in late night TV ads featuring a lot of people with bad fake accents and boasting many, many famous menu items, all for prices ending in .99.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

These are the same ads that feature wide camera shots that quickly zoom into the owner of the establishment smiling and shaking hands with 'Customers' for an uncomfortably long period of time.

Ads that are generally written, produced and shot by the local cable company ad sales rep.

Edited by bilrus (log)

Bill Russell

... a roach runs across your table

...is sitting on the butter

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

:angry:

Wow. Tough crowd! :laugh:

The restaurant I work for used to serve fresh from the oven hot bread in a basket; we all wear name tags; tell our guests our names and serve Hellman's mayo in packets on the pool patio (no glass permitted with bare toes being a concern with boaters/bathingsuit clad patrons).

:wacko: