• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

You know you are in a bad restaurant when....

Carlovski

... a roach runs across your table

We just had that happen at a Greek place down town. When we spoke to the manager he said (I wish I was making this up.)"What do you expect? We are in a hotel building." The head office has yet to call us back about the issue.

Customer service at its finest.

Living hard will take its toll...

kate, i am sorry but my theory is infallible. who names these indian restaurants anyway? is it possible that their american clientele is really so infantile that they won't eat at an indian restaurant if it doesn't have a name that signifies indian-ness in 3 different ways or do the proprietors just think that? it can't just be them--are there more than 5 thai restaurants in the u.s that don't have either "thai" or "siam" in their name?

:huh:

Tandoori Oven and Paul's Siam Cuisine were fabulous restaurants within my fair city.

Who named these? The Indian and Thai families, respectfully, that opened them.

Infantile American clientele? :hmmm:

I have eaten in any and all of the above offered cuisines within this city, surrounding suburbs and county. Name had *nothing* to do with it and the food was fucking great.

Any place open 24/7.

hey now, hodori at the corner of vermont and olympic in koreatown in l.a is open 24/7 every day of the year and every single thing there is fabulous. the wait staff is comprised entirely of hard-bitten middle-aged korean ladies who glare at you but melt into smiles very easily. well, some of them do.

if you're in an indian restaurant with any of the following words in its title you should leave: taj mahal, curry, taste, india, maharaja, tandoor(i), india's anything.

if it has two or more of these words in the title you should leave and return with a flame-thrower.

At the risk of causing more trouble, might I add...

Any Thai restaurant named "The King and I" should be avoided at all costs.

i'm not sure why my most recent contribution was deleted. i presume it was a mistake, so here it is again:

1. you're in a restaurant that specializes in a particular ethnic cuisine but no one of that ethnicity is eating there.

2. you order a steak and they don't ask you how you'd like it cooked.

if you're in an indian restaurant with any of the following words in its title you should leave: taj mahal, curry, taste, india, maharaja, tandoor(i), india's anything.

if it has two or more of these words in the title you should leave and return with a flame-thrower.

how ya feel about "delhi"?

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

how ya feel about "delhi"?

i am neutral about "delhi". partly because i am from there and partly because the use of that in the name assumes that people know where delhi is. "delhi" and "durbar" together is a different story though.

what is "durbar"?

new delhi was my favorite indian buffet when i was in college. still is, if i were to sample a indian buffets.

too bad my friend's favorite, tandoor india, wouldn't pass the test. and he has way more firsthand india experience than I do.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

new delhi was my favorite indian buffet when i was in college. still is, if i were to sample a indian buffets.

too bad my friend's favorite, tandoor india, wouldn't pass the test. and he has way more firsthand india experience than I do.

people,

i probably don't need to clarify but since much confusion and mayhem has already been inadvertently caused tonight by my original post i will anyway (if only to forestall a repeat):

i am not entirely serious when i say that any indian restaurant with certain markers of indian-ness in their name is always going to be bad. this is no more likely to be true than saying any 24/7 place is bad or any place with pictures of farm animals in overalls is bad or pretty much any of the criteria in any of the posts in this thread.

that being said i do believe that the lack of imagination in the names of certain indian restaurants translates into their menus as well and also not coincidentally into a depressing sameness in the food available in all these restaurants. contrast the menu at any indian restaurant in the u.s with the word "tandoor" in its name with the menu at suvir saran's "amma" or at "tamarind" and so on.

point laboriously made. i'm sorry i ever said anything.

mongo (who still likey candy)

When the seafood restaurant is offering "Fresh Whitney" today.

When you hear a flock of ducks flying by and the chef is running out of the restaurant with a shotgun yelling "Ducks back on the menu"

When the menu comes with a scratch and sniff icon next to each item.

How about the place in my old neighborhood where the parkign lot sign said "Funeral Home and Deli Parking". Thank God they were actually comepletely separate businesses. That sign actually made it into the "Weird Signs" section of National Lampoon magazine.

At the risk of causing more trouble, might I add...

Any Thai restaurant named "The King and I" should be avoided at all costs.

the king and i in atlanta is pretty decent.

so is taste of india tandoori restaurant as a matter of fact. which by all accounts is a triple whammy. they're doomed. but madonna still eats there.

Edited by tryska (log)