• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

GOP to use Cruise Ship for NYC Convention

JosephB

How many people come to town for a convention? How many of those are delegates?

I couldn't give you exact numbers but in Philly four years ago the major law firm my cousin works for shut down for the duration. It was the first time in the history of the firm that they closed for more than two days in a row (not including Christmas and New Years). People were advised to stay out of the city.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Blondie, my understanding is that Chinese-Americans, especially recent immigrants, are one of the most atypically conservative groups in New York (along with Filipinos). And they form the majority of the audience in most any Chinatown restaurant. But I digress. The point I was trying to make is that political party affiliation has little to do with culinary preference; rather, if one belongs to a demographic group that's likely to lean one way or the other politically, that's going to be the overwhelming factor. If that group happens to populate a given type of restaurant in a given neighborhood, the restaurant's audience is going to reflect the political composition of that demographic. Which will in the end not affect what the restaurant serves, except maybe for the tribute to Chairman Mao on the menu at Grand Sichuan, which would probably need to be yanked in Tulsa.

Fair enough on the point about recent Chinese immigrants being atypically conservative. I didn't know that. I do agree with your assertion that political party affiliation probably has little to do with culinary preference, although it does seem like the vast majority of granola-scarfing vegans are Democrats :wink:

Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega

You need to hang out in California more, where being a gay vegan Republican is pretty normal.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

According to CNN, there were 45,000 attendees at the GOP Convention in Philadelphia, 15,000 media types and 20,000 protesters.

On another note, I can't imagine that if you did an in-depth survey you wouldn't find statistically significant differences between diners of different political persuasions -- especially if you went beyond R&D and defined people on, say, a 5-point scale.

On the other hand, once you cross-tabbed for ethnic, regional and income differences you might find that politics is not actually the underlying factor.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Blondie, my understanding is that Chinese-Americans, especially recent immigrants, are one of the most atypically conservative groups in New York (along with Filipinos). And they form the majority of the audience in most any Chinatown restaurant. But I digress.

commentary on the digression:

In my experience, most Chinese-Americans tend to lean towards Democratic.

If NYC is an exception, that's an interesting phenomenon.

Here's who I'll bet will most profit from the convention: steakhouses.

I agree. very much so.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

In LA in 2000 at the Democratic Convention there were about 4,500 delegates and about 35,000 estimated attendees including media, volunteers and other hangers on.

In LA there were also an estimated 30 to 50,000 protesters. Can't imagine where they would fall in the dining scheme of things.

Edit - looks like busboy and I were on the same CNN site for our info.

Edited by bilrus (log)

Bill Russell

According to CNN, there were 45,000 attendees at the GOP Convention in Philadelphia, 15,000 media types and 20,000 protesters.

Okay, this tells us something interesting about the potential economic impact of the boat. According to my earlier summary:

The House majority leader, Tom DeLay, plans to use the luxury cruise liner Norwegian Dawn as a floating entertainment center for Republican members of Congress and their guests at the upcoming GOP convention in New York city.

At the present time, there are 280 Republicans in Congress (229 in the House and 51 in the Senate). That's a very small number of people compared to 45,000. The boat itself has a maximum capacity of 2,240 -- enough room for each Republican member of Congress to bring 7 guests there. At maxium capacity, we're talking about 5% of the convention attendees. In light of this, the boat doesn't seem like so much of a big deal in terms of real economic impact, but it still sends a message.

--

I think they simply want to be within short walking distance of Daisy May's and the related establishment down the street.

Edited by sammy (log)

"These pretzels are making me thirsty." --Kramer

Blondie, my understanding is that Chinese-Americans, especially recent immigrants, are one of the most atypically conservative groups in New York (along with Filipinos). And they form the majority of the audience in most any Chinatown restaurant. But I digress.

I could be wrong; I only know what I see in Spike Lee movies. Next time I talk to my Democratic party operative friend in DC I'll ask him for the breakdown and PM you the stats.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I think they simply want to be within short walking distance of Daisy May's and the related establishment down the street.

The BBQ joint in Hell's Kitchen?

Daisy May's and the affiliated Penthouse Club down the street.

Know who might do best of all? The Daisy May's guy with his combo steakhouse and strip club next to a bbq place. Talk about one-stop convention shopping! And it's near the docking point of the ship so maybe he's the one lobbying for this whole thing. He got featured in the Times last Wednesday...I smell a conspiracy.

QUOTE (herbacidal @ Dec 2 2003, 01:57 PM)

QUOTE (Fat Guy @ Dec 2 2003, 02:02 PM)

I could be wrong; I only know what I see in Spike Lee movies. Next time I talk to my Democratic party operative friend in DC I'll ask him for the breakdown and PM you the stats.

gracias.

it's not what i would expect, so if true, that'd be educational.

you wouldn't be the first to draw lengthy, insightful conclusions from spike lee movies. :biggrin:

Edited by herbacidal (log)

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

If you want to imply that politicians in general might want to go to The Penthouse club, that's fine.  But steer clear of attaching a political party--EITHER party--to it.

I only meant to imply that they would probably enjoy the great steaks allegedly served at The Penthouse Club. :smile: And yes, all politicians.

Edited by sammy (log)

I trust none of you will be making complaints about not being able to get a reservation in a restaurant next summer or about the streets being crowded.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

It's not politicians who like to go to places like the Penthouse Club, it's conventioneers. Just ask anyone in Vegas.

Jeffrey Steingarten gave their steaks an excellent review. I think it was in the November or December Vogue.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I trust none of you will be making complaints about not being able to get a reservation in a restaurant next summer or about the streets being crowded.

I plan on making a conscious effort to be out of town that week.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs