• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thanksgiving soups

ludja

I make a pumpkin cream soup every year and it's a big hit.  It's quite yummy but not too rich since you use light cream instead of heavy cream.

I tried making a pumpkin apple soup one year and my family protested.  So it's back to the pumpkin cream soup. :)

I've ditched the pumpkin cream soup in favor of butternut squash soup. Last Thanksgiving, I made it for the first time and it was delicious. The recipe calls for the addition of 1/2 cup of heavy cream at the end, but I personally don't need it. The texture is creamy enough without it.

My sister has already requested that I make it this year. So I will happily oblige. :wub:

Two years ago I cooked TG dinner for family. I had a somewhat rustic theme going and chose this soup. A mushroom soup that I modified a bit. HERE is the original recipe. What I did was to change the three mushroom types for Porcini and swapped out 1/2 of the chicken stock for the soaking liquid from the porcini's. All else remained the same. Damn fine soup...rich, flavorful and it really warmed the belly. Everyone loved it.

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band