• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Riedel Sommeliers 30 Yr Anniversary Set

Jason Perlow

$138.99 at Amazon (41 percent off)

Anyone familiar with these glasses? They are pretty darn pricey, but it seems like a good deal considering the individual prices of the glasses.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

the sommeliers are the top of riedel's line. they are amazing glasses. heck, they're amazing glass art, really beautiful. whether they are worth $50 a stem when you can get the spiegelau at $50 the half-dozen from amazon is really a matter of how disposable your income is. come to think of it, i mean that literally. the riedels are unbelievably fragile. i've got 20 or 30 of various spiegelaus for almost any dinner, then a couple dozen riedel vinums (the next step down) for great wines.

Personally I'd be really scared of putting these in a dishwashing machine, even a high end Miele.

I'm surprised I havent broken any Spiegelaus in our Miele yet. Seem awfully resilient for what appears to be really thin crystal.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Riedel has done an amazing job at 'market fragmentation'. Think of where we were before Riedel, a glass for white, red and sparkling wines. Now a glass for EVERYTHING. I purchased a set(12) of the tasting glasses you can roll around on the table simply because I liked the idea! Our other Riedel came from Sam's Club which we use for either for red or white. Our Baccarat NEVER go in the dishwasher. -Dick

Yesterday, Amazon had this amazing deal:

6 Spiegelau crystal authentis bordeaux glasses AND

6 Spiegelau crystal authentis burgundy glasses for

the painfully cheap total of $39.99 INCLUDING shipping!

I waited a day and the deal is gone. I'm beginning to learn that I need to peruse Amazon every day for these deals - last week they had an All-Clad 3 1/2 quart saute pan for $19.99 and I didn't jump on that one either.

Amazon does get these deals every few months and I think I'll start setting aside a slush fund just for such encounters.

That special seems to come and go -- we jumped on it a couple of months back, and were very pleased with the glasses. So it may come back, (especially after the holidays).

If only I could decide whether the white zinfandel goes into red wine glasses or the white wine glasses.

Edited by Busboy (log)

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Interesting when you consider most Europeans drink wine in 6 oz. tumblers worth less than a buck. If the glasses make such a difference how do you account for the fact that everyones mouth is shaped differently?

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

But (in my experience) they're mostly drinking local, "peasant" wines by the pichet ...which, btw, I've found to be leaps and bounds ahead of virtually all low-cost American wines. You can often get a half liter of a wonderful local wine for less than you'd pay for a single glass of anything drinkable at a bar or restaurant here.

On the other hand, when you order a 20-euro bottle, the stemware comes out.

Personally, I drink a lot of wine out of jelly jars and try not to pull the good stuff out except when a "better" bottle is being poured.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.