• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anniv. Dinner with picky eater boyfriend

ktbear7476

Hello!! I just found this board today :biggrin:

Anyway, I'm taking my boyfriend out for our anniversary next month. I've read through some of the posts and have gotten a lot of ideas.

I'm leaning more towards B.Y.O.B. (like Django, Chloe, August, Angelina, Pigalle)....and of course a romantic setting couldn't hurt.

Here's my big issue, while I'm down for all sorts of different types of food, my man is pretty picky. I need some place where we both will be able to enjoy our meal. (As long as there is a steak of some basic chicken on the menu we are good)...

I've been trying to do some research, but not a lot of restaurants have menus online (or if they do, i'm a big dope and can't find them)....

So what I'm asking is, for your opinion on a romantic, not too loud restaurant that will have something yummy and exciting for me, and something basic for him.

Thanks in advance!!!

I recommend Pigalle--he'll be fine there with steak frites. It's not BYO tho. It's definitely romantic.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

i think chloe fits the bill very well. it's byo. the room is small and softly lit. they have a nice variety of dishes. i had wonderful roasted chicken there a few months ago. the desserts were great too.

the only "issue" is that they don't take reservations, but if you go early enough or perhaps later, you shouldn't have a problem getting seated and having a lovely meal.

enjoy,

allison

Thanks for all your advice!!

Does anyone have any experience with Django?

It is between that, Pigalle and Chloe....

I am interested in Astral Plane, but I have a friend that wants to check that out, so I'm going to hold off on it.

I'll make sure to post my review after we go!!

Django is great, but you may not be able to get a reservation. Also, the food is a bit more creative than at Pigalle or Chloe, imo, so it might not be quite as safe a bet.

I personally think the atmosphere at Pigalle is more romantic/ anniversary-like than at Chloe, where service is very casual and the room can be very loud. Django is similar to Chloe in that respect, and the tables are quite close together. But I'm still a big fan of their food.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

I will never go to Chloe. Last winter, on a very cold Friday night, we decided to go there. After a long search for parking, we finally found a spot and got there at 8:45. The place was 3/4 full, but there was room. They said to us upon arrival that the chef had closed the kitchen early becuase of the cold weather!!(??) Their posted hours are until 10PM.

This was remarkable, and infuriating. Chloe will never see us again. It is also very spartan, and not particularly romantic.

It's amazing to me that one of the better restos in Philly gets short shrift on Egullet. Fork, Market Street between 2nd and 3rd, is a stunning restaurant with wonderful, innovative food at very reasonable prices. For whatever reason, it is rarely mentioned here. I have had wonderful experiences there. The banquettes can be very atmospheric. Why don't you consider Fork? Fork Web Site

Does anyone have any experience with Django?

on my one visit to django, it was one of the loudest places on earth. :biggrin: but they did have a steak on the menu, and i don't recall all of the selections being all that challenging. worse case, if you go to django and the menu is scary, tell him to eat a couple of pots of that bread of theirs. good stuff.

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for their suggestions. We decided on Pigalle and had a wonderful (and very romantic) meal.

It was a few weeks back so please forgive the lack of specifics. My boyfriend started with french onion soup, I had a special monkfish appetizer (it was lightly breaded and came with a red pepper coulis). YUM!!

For dinner my boyfriend has the duck (which i couldn't stop tasting!) and I had the scallops.

Everything was wonderful! Thanks so much for the help!