• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pre-Game Meals

Varmint

When I was a lowly, jock-strap fetching manager for Michael Jordan and the University of North Carolina basketball team, we ate beef, lots of beef. We'd have beef 5 days a week on our training table -- oftentimes consisting of 24 ounce cuts of prime rib, 2 inch thick t-bones, and all the burgers we'd want. Pre-game meals ALWAYS consisted of steak, a baked potato, and, god forbid, occasionally an overlooked green vegetable.

Things are different now. Athletes don't eat beef, they eat chicken. They load up on carbs. Broccoli is served by the head.

What are your thoughts on this disturbing trend. Is it one more sign of the "sissification" of our athletic icons? What are we to do, Mr. Cutlet??????

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I don't know, Varmint. As much as I love beef, I'd hate to see my team try to get back in transition with each man carrying around a pound of undigested beef. Uptempo basketball is hard enough! Maybe the 4 and 5 men could eat bloody steaks so as to give them the manly mojo needed on the low blocks. They should swallow up penetrating guards like so many tournados.

Hoopfully

Mr. Cutlets

p.s. check out my basketbal column at http://www.hoopsworld.com/boston.SHTML

:biggrin:

Mr-Cutlets.com: your source for advice, excerpts, Cutlets news, and links to buy Meat Me in Manhattan: A Carnivore's Guide to New York!