• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thoughts on a trip to Italy

tommy

Please, don’t ever do this.  Ever.  You simply cannot take back a shitty meal.  And when it’s not cheap, it hurts that much more.

Words of wisdom, right there. I can think of several I had, in Rome, and London, and Madrid, and not only did they all suck, the fact that several of them cost too much made them ten times worse.

We were in Venice in September and we also ate at Taverna San Trovaso. We went for dinner and when we got there, the place was packed. A ton of people were waiting for tables. Luckily we had made a reservation and they seated us immediately. Not only was the pizza terrific, but I especially love a place that honors a reservation.

Interesting comment about the horrible bread. Throughout our 2 week trip to Rome, Florence, Venice and Lake Garda, I kept thing that the lousy bread was my imagination. I wanted so much to love it. But it pretty much stunk. Of course we ate it anyway.

We also really liked Osteria La Zucca. Did you get to eat there?

When I was in Tuscany with my wife in 1999, we kept telling ourselves that we didn't like the bread because the Italians don't put salt in it. And I think that really was the reason. The Italians use bread as a vehicle for other things or an ingredient in a larger whole (much as most of their cheeses are intended to be used), so this makes sense for them. But not for us. We, like many Americans, like to just rip the bread apart and eat it.

Or maybe the bread just wasn't that good. But it's amazing the difference salt makes.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

"winged rats".

i'm pretty sure that the pigeon food industry, which seems to be flourishing in san marco and elsewhere, would be shut down by someone here in the US.

Oh, man, I wish. It's flourishing in City Hall Park. :angry:

Why, oh why do people think that feeding pigeons is a good idea? I just don't get it.

(where's the perplexed emoticon?)

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

When I was in Tuscany with my wife in 1999, we kept telling ourselves that we didn't like the bread because the Italians don't put salt in it.  And I think that really was the reason.  The Italians use bread as a vehicle for other things or an ingredient in a larger whole  (much as most of their cheeses are intended to be used), so this makes sense for them.  But not for us.  We, like many Americans, like to just rip the bread apart and eat it. 

Or maybe the bread just wasn't that good.  But it's amazing the difference salt makes.

that was my thought as well. but yeah, the other thought was that it just sucked. i mean, every place had bread that sucked in a different way. so it wasn't as though there was one style and i didn't "get" that style and thought it sucked. apparently, i didn't get about 10 styles and thought they sucked.

didn't make it to Osteria La Zucca cleo. worth a visit?

Pigeons are called Sky Rats for a reason.  They turn garbage into bird shit and that is their entire function in the ecosystem. :blink:

I know some humans like that! :wink:

Actually, pigeons evolved from those beautiful doves-- when their habitat was destroyed and urbanized by humans, they survived by becoming pigeons. They are quite harmless, and it wouldn't be San Marco without them.

We need a chorus of Joni Mitchell's "Pave Paradise".

Edited by menton1 (log)

didn't make it to Osteria La Zucca cleo.  worth a visit?

We thought Osteria La Zucca was great. Had great pastas (especially one with gorgonzola cheese), and my husband also had a chicken curry dish. I remember being sort of surprised to see curry in an italian place, but he really enjoyed it.

i mean, every place had bread that sucked in a different way.  so it wasn't as though there was one style and i didn't "get" that style and thought it sucked.  apparently, i didn't get about 10 styles and thought they sucked.

C'mon Tommy the bread is great in Lombardia. Didn't you like the bread at Boccondivino?

I know some humans like that! :wink:

516.gif

Actually, pigeons evolved from those beautiful doves-- when their habitat was destroyed and urbanized by humans, they survived by becoming pigeons.  They are quite harmless, and it wouldn't be San Marco without them. 

Yeah - doves. Whatever. Actually they are far from harmless. I believe they may also carry diseases and their guano definitely damages statues, sidewalks, buildings, etc.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

They are quite harmless, and it wouldn't be San Marco without them.

Harmless?? You've never been dive bombed by a crazed pigeon.

I supose you think that Trafalgar Square's charm is all due to the pigeons as well?

:raz:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I thought this was an eGullet thread somehow related to Italian food.

It's what all the smart pigeons are eating this year.

Don't mind me I'm heading back over to the wine forum where it is safer.

Watch out for TCA. And you're worried about pigeons? There's Thunderbird over there!

Edited by hollywood (log)

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

Hmmm.  Wine.  Cheese.  Too bad the bread wasn't better.  But two out of three....

"The bread at Boccondivino is excellent," he said with a firm voice.

craig, i really don't remember the bread at boccondivino. this might be because it was my first meal and it didn't suck. so it didn't really make an impression. besides, i was quite busy with the other delicious things being brought out to the table.