• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner with friends

Florida Jim

Our friends, Claude and Anna Marie, always go all out when they cook for a group. Last night was no exception. They live in a stone house overlooking the Linville River; it always feels like home when we approach. That theme is repeated inside; for them and us.

With Roquefort Tart with Walnut and Garlic Dressing:

2000 Donnhoff, Riesling Spatlese Oberhauser Brucke:

it smells sweet at first and then broadens out to include stone and floral scents/

medium body, viscous and perhaps a bit less sweet than the nose suggests with good depth and nice complexity/

long, clean finish.

From a time when this producer’s Spatlese could be afforded. Very enjoyable wine and excellent with the tart. Showed well.

With salmon in phyllo with peperoncini and smoked salmon stuffing:

2001 Fevre, Chablis Champs Royaux:

crystal clear aromas of rain water, citrus peel and mineral/

light bodied and almost weightless in the mouth, flavors echo the nose, nicely balanced/

medium finish.

Charming wine for drinking now and quite good with the dish.

Curried chicken pot pie:

2001 Hirtzberger, Riesling Singerriedel:

one of the world’s truly great wines is beginning to close down. Hold.

Very good with the dish.

Braised beef brisket with caramelized onions:

1999 Jayer-Gilles, Cote de Nuit Villages: very floral nose; straight-forward flavors of red fruit; dry finish. Too simple to be interesting but maybe we opened it too early in its life.

2001 Falesco, Vitiano: a somewhat rustic styled quaffer with a dry finish.

2000 Linn Court, Syrah: pretty oaky nose diminishes over time, simple syrah fruit with moderate persistence. Easy to drink.

1995 Neyers, Cabernet Sauvignon: more complexity than the other reds and a bit more body but not up to previous showings. Best with the dish.

Other wines that were opened throughout the evening:

2001 Chapel Hill, Chardonnay (unoaked): despite the name also referencing a town in NC, this is from Oz. Pleasant, clean chardonnay for sipping or very light fare; short finish. Frankly, I liked it.

2002 Falesco, Est! Est! Est!: again, pleasant sipping with a light mineral element. I liked the chard. Better.

Desserts with coffee:

Pumpkin bread pudding with caramel sauce – to die for!

Walnut ricotta cake – light and not over sweet; delicious.

Shoe-fly pie – I know this is molasses based but it gives the impression of liquid nuts; yummy.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

Nice meal Jim, but I have one quibble. You talk about the affordability of Donnhoff Spatlese then move on to Hirtzberger Singerrriedel. Even in 2002 I know which one is more expensive, and it's not the Donnhoff.

Of course I also know which one you prefer of those 2 fine Riesling producers. And I have my little bias as well. :cool:

Nice meal Jim, but I have one quibble. You talk about the affordability of Donnhoff Spatlese then move on to Hirtzberger Singerrriedel. Even in 2002 I know which one is more expensive, and it's not the Donnhoff.

Of course I also know which one you prefer of those 2 fine Riesling producers. And I have my little bias as well.

David,

I saw the 2002 Donnhoff Neiderhauser Ham. for $59 recently.

The Hirtzberger is on sale at CWC for $50.

But that's splitting hairs and you're right about preferences.

Its just that the Donnhoff's relative increase is so much that it stops me in my tracks. The 2000 O.B. I drank cost $30, when I bought it. The 2000 N.H. was $37. The buzz from 01 is driving these 02 prices don't you think?

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

With salmon in phyllo with peperoncini and smoked salmon stuffing:

2001 Fevre, Chablis Champs Royaux:

crystal clear aromas of rain water, citrus peel and mineral/

light bodied and almost weightless in the mouth, flavors echo the nose, nicely balanced/

medium finish.

Charming wine for drinking now and quite good with the dish.

Jim,

I am always fascinated by your dinner with friends and the wide variety of wines that you try.

I do have one question about the Chablis: what is the aroma of rain water?

:blink:

Of course I also know which one you prefer of those 2 fine Riesling producers. And I have my little bias as well.

David,

I saw the 2002 Donnhoff Neiderhauser Ham. for $59 recently.

The Hirtzberger is on sale at CWC for $50.

But that's splitting hairs and you're right about preferences.

Its just that the Donnhoff's relative increase is so much that it stops me in my tracks. The 2000 O.B. I drank cost $30, when I bought it. The 2000 N.H. was $37. The buzz from 01 is driving these 02 prices don't you think?

Best, Jim

$59 for the NH Spat is out of bounds. Of course it's what much of the market will bear. I was offered $100/bottle for my '01 NH.

Your price on Hirtzberger is very good compared to what I can get. Lucky dog. :raz:

I've been to CWC. Good shop. They will not ship to me. (Or at least would not as of spring 2001)

They ship to me.

I can take it from there . . .

Best, Jim

Just what I need: an enabler! :cool:

First of all, realize that the owner of CWC is Chrish Peel, who is a Stanford Law grad. Thus, he's a sharp man who understands the current status of the wine shipping laws. The CWC website currently indicates that they're willing to ship anywhere, but title transfer occurs in NC. Something tells me, but I'd like to confirm, that Chrish is not opposed to being another test case in the quagmire of wine shipping litigation. Nevertheless, give them a call -- they're shipping policies may have dramatically changed in the past couple of years.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I've been to CWC. Good shop. They will not ship to me. (Or at least would not as of spring 2001)

They ship to me.

I can take it from there . . .

Best, Jim

Just what I need: an enabler! :cool:

First of all, realize that the owner of CWC is Chrish Peel, who is a Stanford Law grad. Thus, he's a sharp man who understands the current status of the wine shipping laws. The CWC website currently indicates that they're willing to ship anywhere, but title transfer occurs in NC. Something tells me, but I'd like to confirm, that Chrish is not opposed to being another test case in the quagmire of wine shipping litigation. Nevertheless, give them a call -- they're shipping policies may have dramatically changed in the past couple of years.

You guys...sarcasm...sarcasm...the absolutely last thing I need is more wine. I'm certainly not looking for an enabler. Far from it, I need drinkers.