• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite food slogans and ads

Pan

Wow, I had totally forgotten that Armour commercial until now.

"Butter" "Parkay" "Butter" "Parkay"

I must have seen that one a thousand times.

Oscar Mayer's "My bologna has a first name" That's been resurrected recently.

The Heinz ketchup "Anticipation"

A1 Sauce. "It's not chopped ham. It's chopped steak!"

The Jolly Green Giant

That goldfish jingle is so weird. I like it.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I love the Green Giant jingle -- I just sang it to my kids the other day.

Growing up in the Boston area we drank Cott soda. I always like their slogan "It's Cott to be good".

Was is Carling Black Label beer that was brewed "on the shores of Lake Cochituate"? We used to drive by the lake sometimes.

The old Alka Seltzer ads were great.

"That's one spicy meatball"

"I can't believe I ate the whole thing!"

I think, though, that the spicy meatball ad wasn't effective for the Alka Seltzer brand. Consumers thought it was for spaghetti sauce :laugh:

My favorite food slogans are "Fink means good bread" and "With a name like Smuckers, it has to be good." (1) 

I stumbled into Vaselka's (sp?) in the east Village about 4AM one morning, after seeing the Dead at Madison Square Garden. We'd decided we needed laktkes and had cabbed it down from the Grammercy Park (I :wub: NY) and parked at the long counter under the flourescent light, still barely able to speak coherently. Behind the counter: dozens of loaves of Fink bread, stacked like cordwood for the morning breakfast rush. Admittedly, you had to be there - not just the diner, but the higher plane we were playing on, as well -- but it was one of the funniest things we'd ever seen in our lives. "Fink means good bread" is still a legendary slogan in the Busboy household.

Otherwise, I always liked Andy Griffith reminding me that "everything's better when it sits on a Ritz."

Edited by Busboy (log)

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

I got to warming up my gray matter, and Mr. Clean when he was a real guy that looked like a saucy pirate with bald head and earring (talk about ahead of your time!), "Stronger than DIRT", the white knight guy on the white horse, and like the meatball ad for Alka Seltzer, the newly-wed who fed hapless hubby the "marshmallowed meatloaf". Also , the Laurel & Hardy bit was from Babes In Toyland, a great old flick that was redone with Frankie Avalon and Annette Funicello in about the sixties, I guess. :laugh:

The kikkoman ad was hilarious. All that drama for soy sauce??

Not a food item but there is a travel agency in Berwyn IL with a big 50s lighted sign.

"Johnson's Travel - See the world before you leave it."

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

Not an oldie, but this Flash ad for Kikkoman is absolutely hilarious:

In Japanese alone.

(and a slightly different storyline): With English subtitles

Wow, smash all the foreign sauces. This just confirms my preference for good mainland China-type soy sauces...

But I like the bilingual pun "Show me shoyu."

Michael aka "Pan"

'What's this stuff"? "I don't know"

"Let's give it to Mikey, he eats everything"

"He Like's it !!!"

That should be "Let's give it to Mikey; he hates everything."

Michael aka "Pan"

Fink may be gone but at least there's Fink's Funky

Fink Bread is gone? When did it go out of business?

Fink Baking shuts down

by Louise Kramer

One of Queens' largest employers, Fink Baking, has been forced into Chapter 7 liquidation by its creditors and has shut down.

More than 325 bakers, truckers and other employees have lost their jobs at Fink, which was one of New York's last remaining wholesale bakers and a supplier to the New York City schools. The factory closed its doors two weeks ago.

The closing marks the end of a long struggle for Fink, a company founded more than a century ago. The bakery was run by several generations of the Fink family until it sold the business to a company called New York Baking Co. in late 2000. The new owners filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in June. The case was converted to a Chapter 7 case Aug. 15.

The company's assets and liabilities are currently being determined by a trustee appointed to administer the case, which has been filed in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of New York.

Among the largest claims against Fink is $1 million for unpaid health and welfare benefits and $365,000 in back wages for members of Local 3 of the bakery union, according to an attorney for the union.

The company's assets, including 120 trucks and baking equipment, will be liquidated as soon as possible, says Alan Nisselson, the trustee for the case. The Fink trademark and customer list will also be sold.

Copyright 2003, Crain Communications, Inc

Gustatory illiterati in an illuminati land.

Crazy Eddie - His Prices are INSAAANE!!!

This commercial was a staple on NY Tri-State area TV in the late 70's - early 80's. Then Eddie Antar (aka Crazy Eddie) got into some trouble with the SEC.

the story is here

I grew up not too far from his original store. It wasn't anything special - but the commercials were.

Edited to apologize for the off-food-topic of this Ad - but just had to mention it!

Edited by lamb (log)

That Bumblebee Tuna ad used to run all the time in New York - probably ran on network TV ads.

I don't recognize the "corn/maize" ad.

Michael aka "Pan"