• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine and Coke

Craig Camp

Red wine and a not-too-sweet ginger ale with an orange slice makes a really nice drink on a hot day.

Wine and Coke? ACK!

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

When you think of it, Cakebread is the coke of the wine world. No one in the history of marketing wine has done such a phenomenol job of convincing everyone that it is rare, fabulous and in its own league.

"Oh you have Cakebread, it is so good. We had it at a restaurant last night- great cab outstanding blah blah blah."

I like what the guy said about Burgundy- you know it is so true. It is rare unless you have tons of cash and cellared stock to have one of those epiphenal burgundian moments. The last time I had one was in the 80s! (the wine was from the 70s)

over it

I still remember my astonishment when a friend's elderly Italian father poured everyone seated at the dinner table half a tumbler of his (rough and ready) homemade red and then made another round of the table topping each glass up with Coke. It was his regular dinnertime quaff.

Kathy

Didn't Ed Bartles and Rick James make a killing off this idea in the 80's?

Wasn't that owned by Gallo or some other huge conglomerate? Besides, I believe Rick James was into funk of another sort :laugh: .

Edited by docsconz (log)

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I remember reading a report about ten years ago that this was being done with top-level Bordeaux (Lafite, Mouton, etc.) by the very rich.

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

I never thought I would hear Rick James mentioned in a wine thread, he is that crackhead with the afro-mullet who MC hammer sampled in You can't Touch This! As for Bartle and Jaymes they were two down home business men who got lucky one day and made a billion dollars selling soda pop and wine. At least that's what Ernie and Julio would like us to think.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

I like Coke and peanuts even though I'm not a Southern boy.

Not mixed together???

You betcha together. I was doing that back in the 50's when Coke actually had flavor and came only in small green bottles that required a "church key" to open. The peanuts were very salty. Drink a little Coke to make room and dump the whole packet of peanuts in. The sweet/salt and liquid/crunch contrast is delicious. Too bad Coke has been dumbed down to colored sugar water and the peanuts aren't as salty.

--------------

Bob Bowen

aka Huevos del Toro

Hi all,

mixing wine and coke has been existing for so many years in Spain:

this is called calimocho or kalimotxo.

my grandmother has been doing this with basic vino tinto ( table wine) in Basque Country since ages ( at least the last 25 years ).

Actually, you use table wine. I would not do that with a nice wine estate :biggrin:

It just dilutes the wine and many young people do that in Spain. I tasted it twice. Not worse than other alcopops you find around in Britain for instance.

This habit does not exist in France.

regards, Yann

I like Coke and peanuts even though I'm not a Southern boy.

Not mixed together???

You betcha together. I was doing that back in the 50's when Coke actually had flavor and came only in small green bottles that required a "church key" to open. The peanuts were very salty. Drink a little Coke to make room and dump the whole packet of peanuts in. The sweet/salt and liquid/crunch contrast is delicious. Too bad Coke has been dumbed down to colored sugar water and the peanuts aren't as salty.

I need to try this.

Plain or salted peanuts?