• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Puffy Tacos in Austin at Vivo's

RedQueen

Vivo’s Cocina Mexicana on Manor across the street from Hoovers is finally open! After suffering for the last 18 months without my beloved puffy tacos, Roger Diaz finally opened what I lovingly refer to as “La Fiesta Patio Café North”. I ate at La Fiesta in Universal City once a week for at least 10 years (maybe more) and I'd found nary a one puffy taco since moving to Austin. It was worth the wait. The beef puffy tacos and the cheese enchiladas with chili gravy at Vivo’s tasted EXACTLY the same as La Fiesta’s. And that’s a good thing. A very good thing. The place is nicely decorated (very earthy colors), the deck is great, and the women’s restroom is way nicer than La Fiesta’s. Run, don’t walk to Vivo’s--I don’t want to drive 60 miles for puffy tacos again.

Hi Austin foodies!

Just learned about egullet from my friend foodie52. How cool that there are so many food fanatics in Austin! Just had the chance to eat at Roger Diaz's VIVO two days ago. The puffy tacos were good. The salsa, however, was my favorite. A really good, roasted salsa. Also had the Mexican steak - it was good. Taco Salad suffered a bit from minced up chicken and the nachos were fair. Margaritas were good...all in all, a good experience.

Looking forward to hearing about more great places!

Happy eating! Foodie11

Ooooh. A groupie.

Now I need a Jaymes02 just to keep up!

:laugh:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

mais non, cher. you're a one-off spectacular spectacular, & I'll take umbrage at any poseurs. :hmmm:

Well then, that settles it. 'Cause god knows you're in no condition to take any umbrage. Not after what you've just been through.

:biggrin:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I second Foodie11's kudos on their salsa. They used to sell pints and quarts of it at La Fiesta and I schlepped more than a few of them to friends silly enough to live outside of Texas. When I ate at Vivo's Thursday night I spied Roger's Mom back in the kitchen--I'm pretty sure that she's their secret ingredient....