• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Midori Mart/Fish and Coffee

OK I go into both of these places relatively often, but since I'm not... uh, not a real social type, I haven't gone up to the folks at the register and asked the obvious question:

With these two merged, is the fish quality going to be as good? IOW, is this going to be the best of Fish & Coffee and the best of Midori Mart? I hope so. Basically, anyone have any idea what's going on with the combination of the two?

as i recall, they have the same owner. if that's the case, it should definitely be the best combination of the two.

i knew it was a mistake for them to open fish and coffee anyway. there wasn't enough business for it, especially not there.

i was just wondering when they were going to close it.

but with the lease on midori running out (i assume), they were smart enough to realize they can just merge.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

speaking of pocky cravings and for those of you on the phila suburbs... a great new japanese grocery opened in Narberth this past summer. it's called Maido and it's located on Narberth Ave, right up the street from the Narberth movie theater.

it's quite large, has an excellent array of japanese snacks, frozen items, a sanrio section, noodles, rice and seaweed galore as well as a nice refrigerated section with produce and various packaged misos, seaweed salads, tofu, along with a number of things that are a little hard for a non-japanese speaking person to figure out.

the owner and her mother prepare good homemade okonomiyaki (sp?)and yakisoba at their lunch counter.

it's definitely worth a visit!

their website is located here: http://www.narberthpa.com/Maido

allison

allison, have you tried the patisserie there yet?  how is it?

the patisserie (le petit mitron) is indeed delicious. everything looks beautiful and there's a large selection of items... totally yummy croissants, pain au chocolat, fruit tarts, pastry, home made chocolates and ice cream too. i only wish i still lived in narberth so i could walk there! it's definitely worth a trip to narberth to check out both places.

allison

• 2 weeks later...
I hope they stay open with the stores being together.  It's right on my way home, so convenient for when I have pocky cravings.

i never have pocky cravings, but when i go to tampopo, i sometimes want a drink, but i prefer something more interesting than what they have.

i used to go try and go to midori mart, but oftentimes they were closed.

we'll see how it is with fish and coffee.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

I've never been to tampopo--it's good then?

I don't really eat a lot of sweets, but I have to admit that besides pocky, all those little japanese cookies and whatnot that look like other things are kind of a weakness I have. I buy them and eat a couple and give them away, usually--but I can't seem to stop myself from buying them. Every Burger, those little mushrooms with the cookie stems and the chocolate caps, the pandas filled with chocolate, etc. I buy them all the time.