• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cité and Cité Grill

tommy

Funny you should mention that.  I had dinner in the Grill last night, which (along with the restaurant) serves some of the best french fries in NY.

I noticed that the grill was offering the wine dinner as well and that the price was either ๆ.95 or ๋.95.  I think the restaurant does it for ๋.95.  In other words, it's (about) the same price.  

I believe that the 2 places share a common kitchen - the menus are quite similar with the grill offering a couple of cheaper alternatives.  

My conclusion is to stick with the restaurant, which is quieter, more civilized and, overall, more conducive to the nicer meal you are planning.

Quote: from Tree on 1:30 pm on Nov. 30, 2001

My conclusion is to stick with the restaurant, which is quieter, more civilized and, overall, more conducive to the nicer meal you are planning.

actually, it's 8 guys who are going to basically get rip-roaring drunk and loud! ;)

thanks for the info.  i feel more confident in my decision and won't let my friends bust my chops now.

• 1 year later...

Its a decent restaurant and the wine pairings are nice. Its owned by the same restaurant group as Smith and Wollensky/Maloney and Porcelli.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

i've found their steaks pretty damned good and consistent. it can also be a "fun" place, given the fact that everyone's drinking a lot of wine. :rolleyes: service has never been a problem either.

would i chose it over other steakhouses in midtown? some yes, others no.

Cite was the unofficial club of the company I sort of used to work for. Ate there I don't know how many times. Good but I don't think great, and rather too noisy for my tastes. For a steakhouse, I'd opt for Michael Jordan's or Strip House, if a trip to Brooklyn isn't on the agenda.

I don't eat steak so I can't comment -- but I did have a fanastically prepared cut of pepper-crusted tuna at Cite many months ago.

What's all this about all-you-can-drink wine? ... that certainly wasn't the case the night I ate there (and PAYING for wine at Cite can get quite expensive, quite quickly)

What's all this about all-you-can-drink wine? ... that certainly wasn't the case the night I ate there (and PAYING for wine at Cite can get quite expensive, quite quickly)

i'm pretty sure it's every night. at the very least, it's pretty much all week nights. a prix fixe of 60 bucks gets you dinner and all of the wine you can drink out of a selection of 4. the wines generally include a sparkling, a white, and 2 reds in my experience. this is available after 8 pm.

info here.

one of the entrees is french fries, which comes with a side order of filet mignon. although that's an old joke by now, it still makes me smile.

the wines aren't oustanding in my estimation, but it's certainly fun for a group. i usually go once a year around the holidays for business dinner/celebrations.

Edited by tommy (log)