• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Alsace beer - a bit of fun?

ctgm

I have been asked by a customer to supply an Alsace beer that is like a Belgian beer. Any ideas what this might be???!!!!!

My customer does not have the best command of English and I have asked for some clarification as to what type of Belgian beer he is meaning.

Thought it might amuse you posters though :biggrin:

No ideas come to mind... however here is a pointer to a list of Alsatian breweries: Click...

I only have run across the Fischer beers and the Kronenbourg... neither anything like the deliciously off-the-wall beers I associate with Belgium. If they're looking for a lager like a Belgian lager, e.g. a Stella Artois clone, maybe something Kronenbourg brews might fit the bill... but I can't imagine that is what they're asking for.

Given a little time to research, I should be able to figure out which breweries export to the US, given the importer registration requirements... at least I know the web provides a list of every variety of beer that has been sold in Pennsylvania... ATF must have such a list for all imported beers, no?

It would be great if those amongst us who have tasted products of the other Alsatian breweries could comment on what they're like... I always think wine when I think Alsace... and they do it very well... is the same true for the artisanal beers of the region?

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

cdh,

many thanks for the link. as yet had no clarification from my customer but I don't think that they are looking for a Stella type. personally I would think more of a Duval. we will see...

Have found the comprehensive Pennsylvania list -- sometimes the crazy liquor laws have their benefits-- you'll find it here: Pennsylvania Bulletin beer listings It appears to be a remarkably useful list (provided the information in it is accurate). I am, however, too lazy at the moment to do the cross-reference work to find which of the Alsatian breweries' beers are imported and by who. A little clerical drudgework will likely refine the list of possible beers to a small list.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

• 2 weeks later...

Long over, I realize, but...Meteor does make a witbier that's quite good and in the style. Maybe that's it? Last I knew the beer was still being imported -- sporadically -- by Le Bec Fin, the famous French restaurant in Philadelphia.

Lew

Lew Bryson

I Drink for a Living

Somewhere in the world...it's Beer O'Clock. Let's have one.

Long over, I realize, but...Meteor does make a witbier that's quite good and in the style. Maybe that's it? Last I knew the beer was still being imported -- sporadically -- by Le Bec Fin, the famous French restaurant in Philadelphia.

Lew

Actually, lewski, Meteor is still be served at Le Bec's sister restaurants, Brasserie Perrier in Center City and Le Mas Perrier in Wayne, PA.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"