• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shelf life of fresh ginger?

by350

I have a friend that puts her's in a dirt-filled planter and keeps it (the dirt, that is) almost completely dry. It lasts forever. I keep it in the basement and it lasts quite some time (as in weeks) with no trouble. I've found that it tends to mold in plastic in the fridge.

Edited by bigwino (log)

I keep mine in the refrigerator for a couple of weeks, then if I see I'm not using it quick enough to keep it from drying out I stick it in the freezer. You can just pull it out and grate it frozen. Keeps its flavor. My mother-in-law minces it, and freezes it on a cookie sheet in teaspoonfuls, then ziplocs it. Too much effort!

My ginger always gets almost instantly dried out, no matter how I store it. So I started buying the grated fresh ginger in jars (kinda like the pre-chopped garlic, but ginger instead). I don't like the pre-chopped garlic, but I think the ginger is great for times when I just want some minced ginger for something - it doesn't have as much bite as the real thing, but it's great to have on hand. Obviously I'd use the fresh stuff if I wanted julienned slices or the ginger flavor was central to the dish instead of just one piece.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

Best not to peel it before freezing if you don't mind peeling it after. Creates a natural barrier against freezer burn.

I've tried putting it in soil as well as sand. Ginger is a rhizome, and a tropical plant, so it doesn't like cold temperatures if you're wanting to grow it and/or keep it as fresh as possible, as long as possible.

I've found the best way to store it is in a drawer (same kind of drawer you keep your silverware in) - a dark place. In most cases, it will continue to grow... what's more fresh than that? I even mist it every once in a while, it's got new growth on it already!

"How long does fresh ginger root last if kept in a ziplock bag in the fridge once you cut a piece off?

Is this the best storage method?"

I once recall reading about the best way to keep cut ginger:

after cutting it into pieces, store in a jar (or some type of container) covered with sherry .. honest!

That seems to make sense in a way ... I think I may even give it a try myself .... :rolleyes:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Yes, ginger will last almost forever in a jar of sherry in the fridge. The liquor and the ginger preserved in it work wonders.

PJ

"Epater les bourgeois."

--Lester Bangs via Bruce Sterling

(Dori Bangs)

Back when I was single, I stored ginger in sherry - works really well. Now that I cook for 4 every night, I keep ginger in an open basket on the counter, and whack off a knob when I need it. I use it often enough that I go through a hand of ginger or so a week, so no worries about it getting dry or spoiling. I tried keeping it in a bag in the fridge way back when, but it tends to get too moist and moldy that way.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

When I have found especially juicy and fresh ginger or galanga at my Asian market, I have peeled it and sliced it up and put it into rice wine vinegar and stored it in the fridge. The sherry sounds like a great option. I think I will get a big jar so I can mooch the sherry. :laugh:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I like this sherry idea and might give it a try, I am assuming it is peeled first? And like someone asked does it change the flavor in any way?

Most of the ginger I buy is sold in plastic bags in the refrigerated/cool section and thus is already moist when I get it, can I dry it out at home with out affecting texture/taste?

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Kristin and bigwino:

The ginger will pick-up the sherry flavor which is not necessarily a bad thing. Many stir-frys call for ginger and shao hsing wine--or sherry--as flavorings. I don't peel it before storing because I'm lazy. It will soften somewhat over time but not much. You can still slice, chop or julienne without a problem.

fifi:

Intrigued, I just tasted a teaspoon of the soaking liquid in my jar of preserved ginger. Don't go there. Better you should only cook with it. :laugh:

PJ

"Epater les bourgeois."

--Lester Bangs via Bruce Sterling

(Dori Bangs)

Here in India, Ginger is used on a daily basis. Often we puree it into a paste which is stored in a tight capped small glass jar kept in the chiller section of the fridge. It stays without deterioration for a month.

If you require juliennes/slices then peel and cut into desired cuts and store in the jar with a little salt and fresh lemon/lime juice. The ginger will turn pink and acquire a savoury 'bite'. A little vinegar will extend the fridge life almost indefinitely.

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

Many of the methods that work - sherry, rice wine, salt etc change the flavor of the ginger. A hand of ginger never stays very long in my kitchen as I use it frequently, not only for Asian cooking. When I buy a very large hand I break it into "fingers" and wrap each one very tightly in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator. I have returned from a three week vacation and found ginger wrapped this way as fresh as when I bought it.

Ruth Friedman

• 1 month later...