• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Competition: Round Eleven

You may already be a Winner!

I'm taking the Smackdown to the people.

I see great writing here every day just by reading your posts, and you're going unrewarded for all that brilliance, wit, and hard-hitting Food Journalism. Also, I suspect that many of you are too busy, too bashful or too damn lazy to show off your writing chops here at the Smackdown, where they belong.

I'll be keeping a list of the terrific material that you've been posting, and award prizes to the Top Three Literary Posts over the next couple of weeks. My fellow judges, JAZ and Dave the Cook, will also be on the alert, and I hereby announce that I expect lots of PMs from them. And from you! I can't be everywhere and still go through the motions of having a normal life, so if you spot something particularly tasty, please send it my way.

Self-nomination is just fine.

Deadline: Midnight, October 12th.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

• 2 weeks later...

Obviously, the deadline for this Smackdown has come and gone; in fact the Dark Lady was revelling in Raleigh and didn't get back until Monday afternoon.

So I'm extending the competition until midnight October 18th. Be brilliant!

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

18th has come and gone...

I am forwarding the winners this afternoon, my sharp-eyed friend! The 18th was spent at The Heartland gathering in Grand Rapids, and your Moderator is guilty of serious dereliction of duty. (She figured sobriety would be useful when making a reasoned decision, and waited! :wacko: )

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

I am forwarding the winners this afternoon, my sharp-eyed friend! The 18th was spent at The Heartland gathering in Grand Rapids, and your Moderator is guilty of serious dereliction of duty. (She figured sobriety would be useful when making a reasoned decision, and waited! :wacko: )

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

The winners have been chosen. I am waiting for the publisher to find time to get them on the Front Page...will nag him--er, remind him-- now.

Get your buns over to the current competition and be fuckin' brilliant. Now.

Thanks,

Betty

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

We're working on the announcements. Look for the first one tomorrow.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

"Blondie" just made me aware I've been honored.

Thanks for the recognition! It made it worth being scarred for life by that experience  :raz:

"Al:"

The one day you didn't check. :raz:

Yes, you may brag in bars about winning a major literary competition! Babes love that kind of thing.

Now, maybe you could find a haggis thread and discuss bagpipers?

Congrats,

"Betty"

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

Yes, you may  brag in bars about winning a major literary competition!  Babes love that kind of thing.

I'll be sure to try this out this weekend. Maybe I'll get one of those big cheap trucker's baseball caps with "Literary Genius" and the eGullet logo emblazoned above the brim.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Yes, you may  brag in bars about winning a major literary competition!  Babes love that kind of thing.

Speaking from experience, this is not true if the winner is a 46-year old babe with three kids. I tried it.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Speaking from experience, this is not true if the winner is a 46-year old babe with three kids. I tried it.

Snowangel: Give it another try this weekend! :smile:

We're all looking forward to next summer's Cabin Diary.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com