• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Burger Club

elyse

We discussed irreproducible results at our booth during Burger Club last night. Alas I had just thrown away the food issue during my drastic room clean up during the previous week. Fortunately , the Annals of Improbable Research are still extant. Here's their website. You can sign up for an electronic newsletter.

Recap?

We discussed irreproducible results at our booth during Burger Club last night.  Alas I had just thrown away the food issue during my drastic room clean up during the previous week.  Fortunately , the Annals of Improbable Research are still extant.  Here's their website.  You can sign up for an electronic newsletter.

Recap?

For one thing, they prove that apples can indeed be compared to oranges.

see here

If one follows the AIR links to the archives of the printed or electronic editions, the other topics they covered are displayed.

edited for spelling correction

Edited by MHesse (log)

--mark

Everybody has Problems, but Chemists have Solutions.

And lurker who-will-remain-nameless-until-he-decides-to-name-himself impressed me by having spoken to no one, showed up and found us.  Excellent.

OK, I’ve been called out, so I’ll climb down off my bar stool and say hello. Reading the board is fun; actually attending “Burger Club” is funner. Everyone was amazingly friendly and receptive to new people.

In spite of my score being the third lowest given (how did that happen?), I very much enjoyed the cheeseburger. Just like all NYC restaurants, it was cooked one-degree more than I had asked (I requested medium rare, I got medium).

Somehow, it was the overall taste that really made this one good – one component didn’t jump out like some places (ie Peter Luger is all about the meat, Deb’s is about the fixings, Brooklyn Diner is about the juice, etc). This place is simply a well-matched meat, cheese, & bun combination

Put it down as an amazing find for that neighborhood.

PS elyse: count me in for a couple of pecan pies and an order of pao de queijo.

And lurker who-will-remain-nameless-until-he-decides-to-name-himself impressed me by having spoken to no one, showed up and found us.  Excellent.

OK, I’ve been called out, so I’ll climb down off my bar stool and say hello. Reading the board is fun; actually attending “Burger Club” is funner. Everyone was amazingly friendly and receptive to new people.

In spite of my score being the third lowest given (how did that happen?), I very much enjoyed the cheeseburger. Just like all NYC restaurants, it was cooked one-degree more than I had asked (I requested medium rare, I got medium).

Somehow, it was the overall taste that really made this one good – one component didn’t jump out like some places (ie Peter Luger is all about the meat, Deb’s is about the fixings, Brooklyn Diner is about the juice, etc). This place is simply a well-matched meat, cheese, & bun combination

Put it down as an amazing find for that neighborhood.

PS elyse: count me in for a couple of pecan pies and an order of pao de queijo.

Come in. We've been expecting you.

So what's the verdict on the pre-Thanksgiving venue?

Here are the suggestions so far:

Smith & Wollensky's

Cafe Luxemburg

Tavern on Jane

Chumley's

Blue Smoke

Mchale's

Luger's

White Manna (NJ)

Landmark Tavern

Burger Joint

PJ Clarke's

Fairway's

Old Town Bar

Corner Bistro

Judson Grill

Mc Sorley's

Island Burger

Parker Meridian

Jackson Hole

Now:

Veselka

Blue9

Friar's Coffee Shop

That other place

Piper's Kilt

You know, I really have no idea. Landmark is my favorite of the ones I' have tried, and are listed, but they don't serve past a certain time.

UPDATE! Landmark will serve burgers at night, until they close or run out, AT the bar. I will have to call back tomorrow to speak to someone who can confirm this. NOW, in case this does not work out... will someone (JosephB?) check on a few good bets? Meaning availability at 7pm (of burgers and space), seriousness of the recomendations ( we really don't want a flop for our special guest), affordability (might be different at night), ummm... I can't think of anything else.

I personally am interested in Landmark, Blue Smoke, Blue 9 (?), Smith and Wollenski's.... Or do we want a hole?

Edited by elyse (log)

So what's the verdict on the pre-Thanksgiving venue?

Here are the suggestions so far:

Smith & Wollensky's

Cafe Luxemburg

Tavern on Jane

Chumley's

Blue Smoke

Mchale's

Luger's

White Manna (NJ)

Landmark Tavern

Burger Joint

PJ Clarke's

Fairway's

Old Town Bar

Corner Bistro

Judson Grill

Mc Sorley's

Island Burger

Parker Meridian

Jackson Hole

Now:

Veselka

Blue9

Friar's Coffee Shop

That other place

You know, I really have no idea. Landmark is my favorite of the ones I' have tried, and are listed, but they don't serve past a certain time.

UPDATE! Landmark will serve burgers at night, until they close or run out, AT the bar. I will have to call back tomorrow to speak to someone who can confirm this. NOW, in case this does not work out... will someone (JosephB?) check on a few good bets? Meaning availability at 7pm (of burgers and space), seriousness of the recomendations ( we really don't want a flop for our special guest), affordability (might be different at night), ummm... I can't think of anything else.

I personally am interested in Landmark, Blue Smoke, Blue 9 (?), Smith and Wollenski's.... Or do we want a hole?

This site Menus includes many of the places on our list. Oddly, I don't see burgers on the menu at Judson or S & W. Maybe I'm missing something.

In any event, unless ya'll are willing to venture beyond the current list, I would cast a strong vote for Blue Smoke because it would meet our needs in this case, i.e., it would be a fun and affordable place to take out-of-towners; and the burgers are very good.

Edited by JosephB (log)

After seeing a mention on the NYC brunch thread:

How about Piper's Kilt? Interesting neighborhood. :wink:

Are you saying for tarka, or added to the list? It was on the thread ages ago. That's why I keep asking that you submit suggestions ON the list. They're getting lost in the babble.

So quote and add people. Or PM bergerka.

In any event, unless ya'll are willing to venture beyond the current list, I would cast a strong vote for Blue Smoke because it would meet our needs in this case, i.e., it would be a fun and affordable place to take out-of-towners; and the burgers are very good.

For $10.00, it had better be very good.

I love their selection of salads.

Edited by elyse (log)

Oddly, I don't see burgers on the menu at Judson or S & W.  Maybe I'm missing something. 

the S&W burger is available at the Grill. it's also probably available at the restaurant if you ask.

i think it's cool to have a great burger and no publicize it. :smile:

Is this lunch only, or evenings too?

Oddly, I don't see burgers on the menu at Judson or S & W.  Maybe I'm missing something. 

the S&W burger is available at the Grill. it's also probably available at the restaurant if you ask.

i think it's cool to have a great burger and no publicize it. :smile:

Is this lunch only, or evenings too?

i think it's available at the grill all day long. but obviously call before heading over there. :smile:

I won't be able to make it for Tuesday's BC meeting. :sad: The fine folks at United think I need to fly out on Tuesday morning in order to use my travel voucher. As much as I enjoy BC, I enjoy even more the $700 I'm saving. :biggrin:

Say Hi to Tarka for me.

Sherri A. Jackson

I will also say right now, that the candy is in every way my fault.  I coaxed Suzanne into asking the guy at the latin food show to give her a pack, if I didn't actuallly ask him myself.  She told me that HWOE thought they were horrible, and asked her to bring them to the last meeting.  She forgot.  I reminded her several times this time (how bad could they be?) and she came through.  For THIS I am an idiot.  Sue me.

I missed a burger club - damn! Got to read the board a lot more.

The candy actually sounds interesting (maybe in a disgusting way) and the burger is one i want to try.

Anyone ever hear of a murder burger ?

Times article for you all to enjoy

Do we have a date yet on the next bc meet up?