• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Passover 2002–2005

You can get KP glass bottles of Coke? Cool. The only thing available in NY are the 2 litre plastic ones.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

You can get KP glass bottles of Coke?  Cool.  The only thing available in NY are the 2 litre plastic ones.

Wait! This was something like 15-18 years ago .... and we live in Atlanta which is the home of CocaCola so anything is possible ... :rolleyes:

Edited by Gifted Gourmet (log)

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I have an admission to make. I went out and bought macarroons. I was craving something sweet and unhealthy. So I went to the market and picked them up. I stuck with the plain coconut ones thinking the plainer they are the less likely they'll be screwed up. They're ok, but overly sweet. And definitely not worth the 50 calories per. My husband gave me hard time for bringing them home considering how disdainful I am of them.

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest. I feel better now.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

I have an admission to make. I went out and bought macarroons. I was craving something sweet and unhealthy. So I went to the market and picked them up. I stuck with the plain coconut ones thinking the plainer they are the less likely they'll be screwed up. They're ok, but overly sweet. And definitely not worth the 50 calories per. My husband gave me hard time for bringing them home considering how disdainful I am of them.

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest. I feel better now.

Which kind did you buy?

I have an admission to make.  I went out and bought macarroons.  I was craving something sweet and unhealthy.  So I went to the market and picked them up.  I stuck with the plain coconut ones thinking the plainer they are the less likely they'll be screwed up.  They're ok, but overly sweet.  And definitely not worth the 50 calories per.  My husband gave me hard time for bringing them home considering how disdainful I am of them. 

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest.  I feel better now.

Which kind did you buy?

The brand is Goodmans.

And I thought they only made soup mix. :laugh:

So who else is having a tradational last night of passover Pizza?

Passover Pizza is a tradition by you??

I far prefer to stash the Passover leftovers and head out for some cold, swirled, creamy sublime Carvel to begin the long trek back to relative normalcy ... :rolleyes:

enjoy your pizza though!! :biggrin:

Two stories:

At seder #1 this year, my daughter complained about still being the youngest and having to again ask the 4 questions (she'll be 12 next month). My "baby" brother gave her no sympathy and explained how long he was the youngest. Without missing a beat, that little balabosta in training looked at him and said, "Well if you go make me some cousins, I wouldn't have to be the youngest anymore." Gawd, I love that kid.

The very first time I had Passover with my husband's family was truly awful. It was the spring before we got married. Everyone sat down around my MIL's table and opened their Haggadahs. Uncle Joe took a big breath and began to chant/drone on in Hebrew. I don't think he stopped for an hour. Somewhere along the way there must have been questions and removing drops of wine from the glasses but I can't recall. Needless to say, I very soon explained to him that the holiday could be fun, interesting, funny, engaging, etc. and that when we finally had our own home, things would be different. He had never known anything different.

We got that at my seder too. Except it was my sister complaining and the comment was made by a family friend to the two of us :wink:

Soba, nothing tastes good on matzah, especially when everyone around you is eating hot dogs, pizza, beer etc or you're the only kid in the lunchroom with a matzah sandwhich.

Turtleboy, I went with a calzone myself :smile:

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

And bringing matzo sandwiches for lunch.

Ok...now you REALLY have to explain this to me.

What do they taste like? Cardboard sandwiches? :huh:

Soba

The only good thing about matzo is that it's crispy. The bad thing is that it's bland and dry -- a little cardboardy. But the problem with using it as a bread substitute (in addition to lack of taste) is that it has no give, so when you bite into it, the whole thing breaks apart into shards. So, when using matzo as a base, you're best going with the open faced sandwich. Of course, you still need to eat it very gingerly otherwise you'll be wearing your food.

For the past few years, my matzo sandwich of choice has had whitefish. But then, I think whitefish cures a myriad of ills. :laugh:

We didn't get back to chametz until this morning. Breakfast was oatmeal. Lunch was garlic rotini. I'm a very happy girl. :smile:

Chametz avoidance is easy. I could probably go for months without Chametz.

It's always the Kityanot that get me.

Edit: Also, am I the only one who will eat Treyf but not Chametz and Kityanot during passover?

Edited by Turtleboy (log)

I let Jsmeeker tell me where to eat in Vegas.

Chametz avoidance is easy. I could probably go for months without Chametz.

It's always the Kityanot that get me.

Edit: Also, am I the only one who will eat Treyf but not Chametz and Kityanot during passover?

On behalf of Soba and those of us who clueless, what is Chametz and Kityanot?

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Chametz is any of the stuff you're not allowed to eat on Passover. Like bread, cake, anything leavened.

Kitniyot (not Kityanot) are legumes. Beans and such. Ashkenazim (eastern European Jews) don't eat 'em, Sephardim (Spanish, North African) Jews do. Makes Passover eating a lot more versatile.

In case you haven't looked at a Jewish calendar for next year.... Passover will be the latest I can ever remember. First seder will be on April 25th which is a saturday night. This means Passover will end in the month of May! :shock:

So, how many of you actually go in and clean out every single crumb of chometz/chametz from your house and go and give it away to your friends? (See, I actually do know a little bit of Pesach-lore here and there, I'm not always the clueless gentile I usually am. :raz: It's just things like matzah sandwiches that sometimes make my head spin.)

A friend of mine who claims to be Conservative but is actually bordering on Reform these days used to do it pretty regularly, by giving all his chometz to his neighbors when he was living in Astoria. This year, he couldn't do it on account of having a couple of herniated disks :shock::sad: and a bite from a brown recluse (which he miraculously survived).

Soba

So, how many of you actually go in and clean out every single crumb of chometz/chametz from your house and go and give it away to your friends?

Not I, that's for sure. Although I used to be a lot more thorough than I am these days.

I remember one year cleaning out the kitchen and finding a bottle of Beefeaters gin in one of the cabinets. Liquor is chametz, and I hate to throw things out, and I was living in Jerusalem at the time so I couldn't give it to any of my friends there. So what's a girl to do? :cool::biggrin:

So, how many of you actually go in and clean out every single crumb of chometz/chametz from your house and go and give it away to your friends?

Not I, that's for sure. Although I used to be a lot more thorough than I am these days.

I remember one year cleaning out the kitchen and finding a bottle of Beefeaters gin in one of the cabinets. Liquor is chametz, and I hate to throw things out, and I was living in Jerusalem at the time so I couldn't give it to any of my friends there. So what's a girl to do? :cool::biggrin:

You simply "sell" your chometz for the holiday through your rabbi .. he makes the transaction and then when Passover ends, he sells it back to you for your use ...

my understanding of this is that while it( chometz) may stay on your premises, hidden frm view and use, you may not use it in any way for your own personal gain during the eight days ....

more ....

http://www.aish.com/passlaw/passlawdefault...ing_Chametz.asp

i asked on another thread how to kasher on oven, and now i can't find the thread. So, I'm asking again, hoping I'll remeber it's here.

So, how?

http://www.njop.org/html/how_kosher.html

a very good place to start .. if you still are interested ...

this was my first link for you way back ...

http://www.kashrut.com/Passover/kashering/