• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help me with a dinner menu?

MatthewB

I usually make croquettes (well, actually I've only made them once, but they were good) by making a standard bechamel, stir in the ham, and let cool in the fridge. Cut them into blocks and coat with flour, egg, breadcrumbs. Pan-fry in 1/2 of canola oil. A little cheese mixed in with the bechamel would be good.

This is kind of like my recipe

Edited by guajolote (log)

I usually make croquettes (well, actually I've only made them once, but they were good) by making a standard bechamel, stir in the ham, and let cool in the fridge. Cut them into blocks and coat with flour, egg, breadcrumbs. Pan-fry in 1/2 of canola oil. A little cheese mixed in with the bechamel would be good.

This is kind of like my recipe

OK, that settles the first course.

Second course is Bicycle Lee's notation.

Feedback on the third (main) course?

Edited by MatthewB (log)

Feedback on the third (main) course?

The fish sounds great, especially with good tomatoes. Maybe add a squeeze of lime juice and/or some lime zest (Seville or bitter orange would be better but it's hard to find). A little bit of chopped Havana chile would spice it up a bit. When I make Cuban style black beans and rice I always add vinegar.

Good tips (as always), Dean. :smile:

How's this then?

C1: Dean's croquettes

C2: Bicycle Lee's "chips & dip"

C3: Pargo a la Parrilla con Tomate y Cebolla (Snapper grilled in foil w/ cilantro, tomato, & onion), Yuca con Mojo, & black beans & rice

C4: Dave's salad (mango, guava and red onion with a citrus vinaigrette)

C5: Ginger flan

And, of course, mojitos!

There are two red squirrels we're trying to coax out of their comfy little home in our attic, using live traps (for now). Maybe I should put a copy of this recipe up there for some added motivation.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

Read to children. Vote. And never buy anything from a man who's selling fear. -Mary Doria Russell, science-fiction writer

That all sounds good, man, but I think you made a wrong turn as soon as you abandoned the pissaladiere.

Mmmmmmmmm, pissaladiere.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

Good tips (as always), Dean.  :smile:

How's this then?

C1:  Dean's croquettes

C2:  Bicycle Lee's "chips & dip"

C3:  Pargo a la Parrilla con Tomate y Cebolla (Snapper grilled in foil w/ cilantro, tomato, & onion), Yuca con Mojo, & black beans & rice

C4:  Dave's salad (mango, guava and red onion with a citrus vinaigrette)

C5:  Ginger flan

And, of course, mojitos!

I am down with this.

Dean's recs are dead on. A little (Spanish, of course) EVOO on the fish as well, I think.

If you need color (I'm not sure you do), a brunoise of red bell pepper in the beans and rice is a nice touch.

Are you going for one big fish, or one per person? Or don't you have that kind of choice?

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

These croquettes with ham?

I just looked at this recipe and it's actually for a papa rellena, which is one of the most delicious things in the entire world. I don't know why they called it a croquette :huh: .

It's papa rellena then! :biggrin:

I didn't mean you had to make them.

The croquettes seem like they're much easier.

It would be really cool if you made both.

Are you out of your cooking funk now?

Dave - I have no problems getting whole fish here in Chicago, it's the people who live out in the boonies who can't. :wink:

Since you'll have yerbabuena, or at least mint, for the mojitos (which I'm sure you won't forget), chiffonade or chop some for the salad.

Those papas rellenas look really good.

And thanks for easing my mind, Dean. Now I can take my socks back off.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I've made this recipe for Frijoles Negros from The 3 Guys from Miami website a few times and it's excellent (the ham is not optional  :biggrin:). Actually, most of their recipes are really good.  Poke around their recipe page here and you're bound to get some good ideas.

That's a great website. I forgot that they call black beans and rice Moros y Cristianos

I have no problems getting whole fish here in Chicago, it's the people who live out in the boonies who can't. :wink:

Go ahead. Rub it in, you Big Meanie! :sad:

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Dinner turned out great. :smile:

Thanks to everyone for the advice & inspiration.

I used this croquette recipe from the site that John Braise linked to. I'll do this again.

Bicycle Lee's "chips & dip" was a huge hit.

The main course was as previously noted.

I substitued fresh papaya in the salad as I couldn't find fresh guava.

And we did Rick Bayless' ginger flan recipe.

Much fun & I enjoyed my long day of shopping & cooking. I was--& hope to continue to be--out of my rut.

I was--& hope to continue to be--out of my rut.

That's great, Matthew. I hate that stuck- in- a- cooking- rut thing. My standard solution has always been to buy a new cookbook, but in future I think I'll follow your example and ask eGulls for suggestions.

Terrific idea. (And a fabulous-sounding dinner.)

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

And we did Rick Bayless' ginger flan recipe.

Did you tell your guests it was pimpin' flan :wink: ?

That's shameless, guajolote. :laugh:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM