• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help me with a dinner menu?

MatthewB

This Saturday evening, one of my SO's best friends is coming over for dinner.

She--the friend--has been over before & we've had a great time. So, no problems there.

But I'm fairly blank on what to cook.

I've a beef brisket in the freezer & I thought I might braise that. However, I just looked at it to check the weight (5 pounds) & I think the cryovac might have gotten a hole in it--there's some ice forming. I picked it up about a week & a half ago. Is it ok? :unsure:

If the brisket is effed, the puppy will get it. So no problem there.

And if the brisket is truly effed, perhaps I could do the brasato from Zuni Cafe Cookbook?

Otherwise, as I noted, I'm blank.

(I'm hankering for the first use of my new Le Creuset 9.5 qt french oven. Thus, the braised beef ideas. It's supposed to be quite cool & rainy here over the weekend.)

Help?

Edited by MatthewB (log)

If the brisket isn't good, what about braised short ribs? The Le Creuset will be the perfect medium.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

It's going to be 71 and sunny on Saturday so I would go for the grill, it may be one of the last nice weekends of the year (except for October 19). You'll have 5 months to braise coming up. An appropriate thing to grill would be duck, served after the UM-Ore. game. Duck legs on the smoker would be good too.

Dear Matthew:

The brisket's fine. Really. But if you are doubtful now, you'll avoid cooking it later. And a brisket is a terrible thing to waste.

Go with G's grill suggestion. and smoke a brisket along with the duck. Yum.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Still thinking--barely--this through . . .

Five courses, perhaps?

C1: Pissaladiere topped w/ tomatoes

C2: Pasta & pesto (I've way too much Italian basil)

C3: Main course but what?

C4: Simple salad

C5: Dessert

I'm surprisingly unmotivated about this. :sad:

How about breaking out of the rutt by doing something totally differant, like Mexican or Cuban?

Probably a good idea.

I'll need help though. Those are weak areas in my cookbook collection.

Pick what you want and I'll help. Maybe someone else will pitch in too.

Perhaps al fresco cooking is the way to go!

Definitely. But is al fresco willing to come all the way to Grand Rapids?

:wacko:

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Here's my menu:

Ham Croquettes

Fried Plantains w/ creme fraiche

Ropa Vieja, Yuca con Mojo, Black Beans and Rice, steamed broccoli

- if you want to grill do some double thick pork chops instead

Simple salad (lettuce, tomotoes, onions, green olives) w/ seville orange vinegrette

Flan

Edited by guajolote (log)

I'm not nearly as clear-headed as G, so I don't have a menu put together. But riffing off of some of his ideas, adn tossing in a few notions of my own:

- The ham croquette makes me think of Cubanos, and that great combo of unsmoked ham, roast pork, swiss cheese and sweet pickle. Maybe a mini cheese biscuit (or gougere) with bits of pork, ham and cornichon?

- I love the plantains/creme fraiche. Deep fried longish slices make a great garnish, too.

- I thought we were trying to prevent you from braising, but if you want to do it, consider oxtails. I had an amazing oxtail dish in Miami, simmered in stock, Rioja and chiles. I bet we could figure out the proportions.

- Grilling: why not fish? Whole snapper, or mahi-mahi or grouper steaks, dusted with cumin and ground poblano, served with a citrus (sour orange) mayo or tartar sauce

- Shrimp: stuff a snapper (main) or a poblano (app) with small ones, or skewer them (maybe on slivers of sugar cane left over from the mojitos?), grill and glaze with sour orange, mango or guava. You could also "stuff" grouper filets with shrimp and roast them. Or shrimp en papillote with cilantro, orange sections and par-boiled yuca dice.

- conch, fish, shrimp or crab fritters in lime vinaigrette or mayo

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Here are my thoughts . . .

Croquettes or gourgeres? (Which one?)

Fried plantains w/ creme fraiche (check)

Pargo a la Parrilla con Tomate y Cebolla (Snapper grilled in foil w/ cilantro, tomato, & onion), Yuca con Mojo, & black beans & rice (broccoli, too?)

Skip the salad as tomatoes & onions are in the above?

Flan

Feedback, your thoughts?