• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

From Our Farmer and CSA

jwagnerdsm

The taro is still eyeing me evilly from my crisper.

I got a new bag today:

More fresh peas; fresh spinach; a Korean zucchini; qing cai; some baby cucumbers; long thin green peppers that may or may not be banana chiles; and some onions and potatoes that have been held over the winter. Plus 5 kg more of "organic" rice, which comes once a month.

The zucchini was made into a simple sauteed panchan with sesame oil to go with tonight's barbecued pork belly. The cucumbers I'm going to pickle. The green peppers/chilis will be stir-fried with pork and black bean sauce from "Revolutionary Cuisine". The qing cai will probably just get stir-fried along with that.

The peas, however, I don't know about. It's only about 300g of pods, so the podded weight won't yield much. I've already made risotto. What can I do to highlight these gems?

The peas, however, I don't know about. It's only about 300g of pods, so the podded weight won't yield much. I've already made risotto. What can I do to highlight these gems?

I only had a few peas on my single plant and used them in a lightly creamy pasta dish with other sweet spring vegetables including radish tops, very small yellow squash, and spring onions.

The taro is still eyeing me evilly from my crisper.

I got a new bag today:

More fresh peas; fresh spinach; a Korean zucchini; qing cai; some baby cucumbers; long thin green peppers that may or may not be banana chiles; and some onions and potatoes that have been held over the winter. Plus 5 kg more of "organic" rice, which comes once a month.

The zucchini was made into a simple sauteed panchan with sesame oil to go with tonight's barbecued pork belly. The cucumbers I'm going to pickle. The green peppers/chilis will be stir-fried with pork and black bean sauce from "Revolutionary Cuisine". The qing cai will probably just get stir-fried along with that.

Snap, pod, eat, repeat. :raz:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Snap, pod, eat, repeat. :raz:

Ha!

I only had a few peas on my single plant and used them in a lightly creamy pasta dish with other sweet spring vegetables including radish tops, very small yellow squash, and spring onions.

Pasta! I'll make a pasta primavera. Great idea.

• 3 weeks later...

First box of the year:

-Turnips (var. Hakurei)

-Radishes (var. Crunchy Royale)

-Red and Green Lettuce

-"Salad Mix" (arugula, spinach, chard, red russian kale, french sorrel)

-Oregano

-Garlic Scapes