• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ham Steak

Basilgirl

Butter and rosemary. A lot of butter.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Butter and rosemary. A lot of butter.

Saute in butter & rosemary? Hmmmm....:blink:

Yes. Then remove ham, add shallots and bit of wine, season. Then mount with a bit of cold butter.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Fried eggs on top and very thick fries on the side

Well, the latkes would go wonderfully. Perhaps also fry some grated cabbage with chiles and then add a bit of diced tomato.

Autumn Spice Ham Steak

Over med-high heat melt about 1 1/2T. butter. Fry ham on both sides till brown. Remove ham. Sautee some shallots and deglaze pan with some brandy.

Return the ham to the pan and add: 1 red apple and 1 green apple, both cored and thinly sliced, some raisians, a few dashes of cinnamon or allspice, and about 1/2 cup maple syrup. Reduce heat and simmer a few minutes untill apples are cooked through.

Very yummy and will go well with your latkes and Jinmyo's suggestion of cabbage, especially blue.

Smoky "T"

Thanks, Smoky T. That sounds great - but I had no apples. Sounds like a good one for October, I'll keep it in mind.

Jinmyo's butter sauce turned my ham steak "gor-may," but my latkes turned into hash browns. :angry:

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.