• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

chinese rum?

scheer

Is anyone familiar with rum in china?,

any local brands, or producers known?? or is it again only bacardi and captain morgan.

The only thing I can find out is that almost nobody knows what rum is, and that their local producers maily produce the typical chineese liquor called Mao Tai or Wu Liang Ye.

If anyone could help, I would be be very thankful,

Ed Melief

• 1 month later...

Hi,

The Chinese people I talked to all say that they don't produce Rum. They mostly produce alcohol from rice. If there is any Rum produced, it should be on a local scale. So you will probebly only find it when you are on holiday in China.

There is one thing. China thinks that Nepal is part of China, instead of a country on its own. There is a Rum from Nepal, but I forgot the name. I think it is linked to a distillery in India. If you also think that Nepal is part of China, there is a Rum from China in excistens.

Rene

The more information, the better.

Rene van Hoven

www.Rumpages.com

Thanks for the info, I knew the distillery in Nepal, but was looking for rum producers or products probably on the east coast, like in the area of shanghai or Shenzen.

Thanks anyway,

ed

China thinks that Nepal is part of China, instead of a country on its own.

Seriously? Don't they recognize Nepal and have an ambassador in Kathmandu?

Michael aka "Pan"