• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint in the Big City

Varmint

My clutch cable snapped this morning and my clutch pedal went to the floor of my Nissan and didn't come back up 1018.gif, so I'm taking cabs to work and all over town to do work. I have to be up at the crack of dawn tomorrow to wait for a tow truck and take the car to the transmission shop. Depending on what the damage is and when the car will be fixed I hope to still make it on Saturday, but it's looking iffy now. Sorry everyone. Just when I think I'm catching up, some costly surprise expense rears its ugly head and bites me on the ass. Typical for the day I've been having... :sad:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

My clutch cable snapped this morning and my clutch pedal went to the floor of my Nissan and didn't come back up 1018.gif, so I'm taking cabs to work and all over town to do work.  I have to be up at the crack of dawn tomorrow to wait for a tow truck and take the car to the transmission shop.  Depending on what the damage is and when the car will be fixed I hope to still make it on Saturday, but it's looking iffy now.  Sorry everyone.  Just when I think I'm catching up, some costly surprise expense rears its ugly head and bites me on the ass.  Typical for the day I've been having... :sad:

Can you make it up with herbicidal or Lauren?

Elyse(and PIE)

Okay, '(and PIE)' is starting to look like my significant other. :sad::biggrin:

Thank you so much dumpling for arranging special food for me. You're too cool. I'm hungry already! REALLY looking forward to this. Mostly for the company though. :smile:

Katie, try to come!

Can you make it up with herbicidal or Lauren?

Lauren is already in NYC. She and I know each other from when she was a receptionist in my office in a former lifetime... :smile:

Herbacidal and I were planning to either hop the Philly-NYC Chinatown bus or drive to Trenton and take Jersey Transit from there, which is what I usually do to get to NYC from Philadelphia. I may or may not have a car, and I may or may not have any disposable income left after I find out what the bill for the car repair is! :blink: Believe me - this is the LAST thing I needed to happen to me this morning or this week. :angry: I will try my absolute best to be there, but if the repairs take more than tomorrow to complete, I shall have to pick the car up on Saturday I suspect, or be without any transport for Sunday and work next week as well.

Crossing my fingers that this is a quick, easy and relatively inexpensive automobile repair crisis.

Katie

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

For anyone who may be driving in but is unfamiliar with the area:

There is a parking garage on the Bowery(make a right turn off of Canal before the bridge).

There is also one on the block just before that if you make a left off Canal.

If you can find any street parking, God bless you.

There is a small September 11 exhibition of pictures a few doors down from the restaurant .

elyse- I could use some starter.

and PIE can make a good significant other. PIE always has time for you, never gets tired, is continuosly vibrant, delicious and comforting-hey maybe we should throw men over for PIE.

:biggrin::biggrin:

I'm counting Blondie in for the moment and if you are able to come JosephB, we'll be able to give you some lobster shells :biggrin: 

Did you really have to post the menu? Torture I tell you.

JosephB-

Yeah, I'm a real stinker, ain't I ?

Dumpling is a stinker! Dumpling is a stinker!

elyse-  I could use some starter.

and PIE can make a good significant other.  PIE always has time for you, never gets tired, is continuosly vibrant,  delicious and comforting-hey maybe we should throw men over for PIE.

:biggrin:  :biggrin:

:laugh:

Starter for dumpling!

Hi Everyone:

Well - there's good news and bad news. The good news is that my car is fixed and functional. The bad news is it cost over $300 and completely blew my disposable income for the week. And they screwed up my paycheck today 695.gifand still owe me for several weeks of salary differential! Even if I chose to throw caution to the wind and not pay a few bills until next week, I unfortunately spent too much time today either waiting for the tow truck this AM or leaving to go fetch the car before the transmission shop closed. So I didn't get as much work done as is absolutely necessary before I can call it a weekend. I won't be able to join you all tomorrow as I will be slaving in my office so I can manage to have at least ONE day off this weekend. Sorry! 1346.gif

Take and post lots of pictures so I can torment myself with them later on...

Please send Varmint my deepest regrets. I'll be looking forward to meeting he and Mrs. Varmint when he's playing gracious host to all of us in Raleigh in a few weeks. Does this poor man know what he's gotten himself into? 061.gif This is one crazy crew, and since there are hotel rooms involved, I suspect there'll be some rather serious partying happening as well.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!