• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Purchasing Salad Dressings

Wendy DeBord

At the risk of you all thinking I'm lazy, let me beat you to the punch and tell you I am. Making salad dressing in my house isn't going to happen we have different tastes. Worse, I like the dressings at several chain restaurants.

I like the caesar dressing at Panera. Used to think it was their own recipe until I got the same exact flavor caesar dressing at another chain. So who's brand is it and where can I buy it?

Also I swear I've had salads with ranch dressing that had a kick to it (I love it). OutBack's ranch does. Are they buying it 'as is' or adding pepper to a hidden valley packet stuff?

I'm also interested in good brands at the grocery store. I have very bad luck randomly buying them. Their usually too thinned down or I don't like the intensity of their herb selection.

To aid in any saught out advice: I prefer red wine vinager to balsamic and creamie thick- not too sweet dressings. Heavy garlic is just fine by me too.

I can't bear to throw out any more dressings, I'd love to know your opinions about which brands are good.

Edited by Sinclair (log)

OK... I'll fess up. I keep a couple of bottles in the fridge. I actually like Hidden Valley Ranch. Some of the main brand vinegrettes aren't bad. I have tried some of the "upscale" brands and am usually dissappointed. Since I am cooking for one, making salad dressing all the time ain't happening. Sometmes, after a particularly intense work day, I just don't want to think or be creative. I am eating for survival and if I even had to think about a vinegrette, I would never eat salad. I will get creative if some of us are getting together for dinner. Then I make about twice as much as needed, mix it up in a Mason jar, then a quick shake of the leftovers and I am good to go. But, in the meantime, I have a couple of bottles. I just stay away from anything that says low fat, no fat whatever. The crap that they use to make that work seems to always come out sweet and slimy to me.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

When I was in Spain last year, I picked up the habit of dressing the salad at the table, like everyone in Galicia does. The individual diners salt and pepper their greens, then add vinegar and oil to taste. The key is to sprinkle vinegar sparingly, and drizzle evoo generously.

It's super easy, and leaves no waste.

Only when I crave something special, like creamy blue cheese, do I "make" dressing.

If you have a Trader Joe's nearby, their Vidalia Onion salad dressing is heavenly and addictive.

Also, the Annie's Naturals—we love the Sesame-Shiitake and the Goddess dressings.

Caesar's Lime Dill, in potato salad with mayonnaise, fresh (uncooked) peas, red bell peppers and new potatoes, is my favorite potato salad on earth.

Other than that, I'm a big old snob. :wink:

Edited by tanabutler (log)

I have a computer file that someone sent me ages ago that claims to have the recipes for well-known packaged goods or from chain restaurants. The salak recipes in the index are:

Applebee's Low-Fat Blackened Chicken Salad

Applebee's Oriental Chicken Salad

Benihana Ginger Salad Dressing

Bennigan's Hot Bacon Dressing Brown Derby's Original Cobb Salad

El Torito's Mexican Caesar Salad

Good Season's Italian Dressing

Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing

Kraft Thousand Island Dressing

Olive Garden House Dressing

Pizza Hut Creamy Italian Dressing

Red Lobster Creamy Caesar Dressing

I can post what they say for any of those or, send me your e-mail and I can send you the whole darn thing.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

I keep Trader Joe's Creamy Basil dressing in my fridge for use on scrambled eggs, along with Newman's Own Caesar dressing. Both are multipurpose and seasoned just about right for me. Occasionally I'll mix some pureed sundried tomatoes in the creamy basil, too.