• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Q&A for Stocks and Sauces Class - Unit 1 Day1

Thank you, Healthy Guy,

I would appreciate your thoughts on a number of points.

Thomas Keller says that celery turns stock bitter. Your thoughts?

The only time I "wash" bones is when I prepare white beef or veal stock. I usually roast my bones and do not wash them in advance. Your thoughts?

You recommend bringing stock to a simmer on high heat. I was taught that this caused albumin to spread into the water and you should raise the heat very slowly. What do you think?

I never tie bouquet into a bundle. It is easier to add six inches of untied string to the stockpot, if that is a desired flavor. Call me crazy, but what do you think?

Thanks again,

Tim

If you think celery tastes bitter than it gives stocks a bitter taste. Celery is really for chicken stock and not the other stocks.

I roast my bones too and do not wash them for brown veal stock. I can't imagine that washing bones gives a better quality product. I would be hard pressed to say it would even make a difference. If you know how to skim and strain your stocks there should be no difference. (please note the last line in this paragraph).

Bring stocks to a simmer slowly, not on a high heat. It's easier to skim off the impurities and you will get a much cleaner looking and tasting finished product. High heat is likely to create a cloudy product.

If you have a string tie your bouquet, if you don't have a string don't tie it.

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

• 8 years later...

A bump, I know this is a long dead thread. One question I have is regarding beef stock. If I am roasting bones first - you know when you pull from the oven you will have a good bit of fat. Pour it off? Or should I assume the fat at this point goes into the simmer? I typically roast the bones for an hour, then pull and paste if I want a brown stock then back in the oven for 30 minutes to roast the veggies along with the bones a bit then into the pot. Thinking about whether there's any value to dump the fat in (reserved during second roast with veggies and paste). Or if I can just discard. Just wondering if there's falvor in the fat that adds any value during the simmer?

HI,

Dump the fat. The flavor is not worth the probability of clouding your stock.

Don't forget about a second run with fresh water for your bones. It only takes 5 minutes to remove the finished first run stock and refill your stockpot.

Tim