• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

cocktail kits

trillium

My cousin is getting married and she's put a cocktail shaker and strainer, as well as some cocktail glasses, on her list. I thought it would be nice to go with the cocktail theme for her present. I was wondering what people consider useful. I have an old (circa mid 50's) cocktail shaker that consists of 1 big metal glass that fits over a glass um, glass, a strainer and a jigger/pony measure. The only other thing I really long for is a decent muddler, I've already broke a wooden spoon by using the handle as a muddler. Ok, and maybe a nice icepick to improve my twists. I was checking out those bar kits they sell, like this one and I'm not sure you really need all that stuff. Do people who have all of these things find them useful? I don't think I know anyone who really uses ice tongs. There apartment is pretty small, so I don't want to give them stuff that will just end up in the way.

I was thinking of buying

a cocktail shaker Probably new, I haven't run into a old one for a while, unless someone knows a nice place online to buy reasonably priced vintage shakers. I'm not sure if an all metal with a built in strainer is preferable to the 2 piece kind like I have. Any opinions?

a strainer

a jigger/pony meaure

a muddler (and I can buy one for myself too!)

a good book on cocktails I love Paul Harrington's book, but I'm not sure I'll be able to find it in time, since it's out of print, I was thinking of buying Dale Degroff's book instead.

a couple of different bitters I was thinking of sending Fee Bros. orange and whatever else I can rustle up at our friendly state run shop

a handheld citrus press one of my very favorite gadgets

Can anyone think of any thing else that would be useful? I'd prefer not to mail glasses and bottles of stuff.

regards,

trillium

I was thinking of buying

a cocktail shaker Probably new, I haven't run into a old one for a while, unless someone knows a nice place online to buy reasonably priced vintage shakers.  I'm not sure if an all metal with a built in strainer is preferable to the 2 piece kind like I have.  Any opinions?

Would they use a pint glass & stainless steel shaker "bottom"? Actually easier, IMHO.

a strainer

Yes.

a jigger/pony meaure

Perhaps, 1.5/.75 & 2/1 & .75/.5?

a muddler (and I can buy one for myself too!)

Yes & yes.

a good book on cocktails  I love Paul Harrington's book, but I'm not sure I'll be able to find it in time, since it's out of print, I was thinking of buying Dale Degroff's book instead.

What about Schumann's American Bar instead? (Though Harrington might be preferable.)

a couple of different bitters  I was thinking of sending Fee Bros. orange and whatever else I can rustle up at our friendly state run shop

Yes.

a handheld citrus press one of my very favorite gadgets

Definitely.

Can anyone think of any thing else that would be useful?  I'd prefer not to mail glasses and bottles of stuff.

Bar spoon? (I use mine upside down for stirring cocktails like martinis.)

Cocktail picks?

Cocktail napkins! (Check Restoration Hardware for deals.)

a cocktail shaker Probably new, I haven't run into a old one for a while, unless someone knows a nice place online to buy reasonably priced vintage shakers.  I'm not sure if an all metal with a built in strainer is preferable to the 2 piece kind like I have.  Any opinions?

I have had very good luck finding vintage cocktail shakers on eBay. Personally, I like the glass and metal shakers rather than the all metal ones.

--

Would they use a pint glass & stainless steel shaker "bottom"?  Actually easier, IMHO.

That's the kind I have, except my glass is bigger then a pint glass and has cool Parisian scenes on it in red, yellow and black (but the people look Asian). I like it a lot, but I've never used the all metal kind, which do tend to look swanker.

a jigger/pony meaure

Perhaps, 1.5/.75 & 2/1 & .75/.5?

Hey, that's a bit much, no? I have a 1.5/.75 and I just eyeball it for the rest or if it's something new or a drink that requires exactitude, I do conversions and use my measuring spoons. Hmmm...I'm used to doing conversions, but maybe it's not so easy for someone who isn't used to it. Good point.

What about Schumann's American Bar instead?  (Though Harrington might be preferable.)

I found American Bar kind of dry and boring when I glanced through it. I haven't checked out Craft of the Cocktail yet, but why do you think American Bar is better?

Bar spoon?  (I use mine upside down for stirring cocktails like martinis.)

Cocktail picks?

Cocktail napkins!  (Check Restoration Hardware for deals.)

And the bar spoon works better then a cooking spoon how? (Dirty secret...I don't stir martinis, I shake the hell out of them...I love ice crystals in my drinks)

Coctail picks is a good idea...

Cocktail napkins, maybe. Do deals exist at Restoration Hardware? That's shocking.

thanks for the hints

trillium

I'm going to bypass the quote thingy. :smile:

A basic shaker might be nice. However, even then I'd add a pint glass for stirring. (An all-metal shaker might be less intimidating for drinks that would be shaken.)

As far as the three jiggers that I mentioned, it would allow for precision whilst learning. Then, they can choose to guesstimate later, if they wish.

Schumann is dry, especially in the translation. However, the receipts are rock-solid.

Barspoon might be optional as you've noted. But they're inexpensive, so why not?

As far as napkins, Restoration seems to have them marked down most times I'm in there.

But you're already on the right track, trillium. You can't go wrong at this point. Fine taste. :smile:

trillium:

While the all stainless steel cocktail shaker is very sleek and cool in appearance, they without a doubt a pain to use. The contraction of the metal when shaking up something cold causes great problems when you want to take it apart to strain out and pour your cocktail into the appropriate glass. Then try to remove the top to make another one...... aaaarrrrrgh!

The Boston shaker with the pint glass, stainless steel "tin" and strainer works best.

All of these are priced great from any restaurant supply store in your area. Also nice, throw in a small bag of pourers? My preference are the stainless steel speed pourers, but I understand little, winged six legged friends that enjoy your booze and get stuck in the bottle. :hmmm: Yuk and no thanks! Perhaps the plastic ones with built in screens?

As far as cocktail picks, try some fun umbrellas as well as a container of little colourful swords? Maybe some colourful margarita salt too? Some drunken olives or cocktail onions? They come in small for at home cocktail use jars and they are yummy! I've done this before and I took a couple "bar towels" and stuffed them into an attractive wine bucket and filled them with these goodies. Don't forget a good wine opener and even perhaps a small cutting board just for cutting fruit garnish. I've also tossed in those goofy and frilly glass "jewelry" charm thingies.

So much of this can be found inexpensively. Have fun! Your cousin is a lucky recipient of a very thoughtful gift! :smile:

I have a four-ounce measuring glass with half-ounce increments that's really handy for cocktails. It's how I learned to measure, and even now I use it when I'm experimenting.

I'd go for cocktail shakers, even though, as several people have pointed out, they're kind of a pain. But they look cooler. And it is a gift.

And unnecessary but really handy (and different): an olive spoon. They're great for fishing out olives and cherries, and also work well to remove the occasional errant lemon seed that makes its way into the glass.

I'd go for cocktail shakers, even though, as several people have pointed out, they're kind of a pain. But they look cooler. And it is a gift.

:smile:

I respectfully disagree. It may be a gift and look cool, you want the recipient to actually use it. (sorry for the split infinitive --- ugh)

I have a bunch of various shaped stainless steel and silver plate; new and vintage cocktail shakers (antique/flea market shows, eBay :wacko: I love them all and collect for display to grace my at home bar). I will never go through that experience again while entertaining guests and making cocktails for them at home! We had to resort to using wide rubber bands (for better grip), running the thing under hot water on the bottom cup part and cold water only on the top removable part along with my imposition upon my must hunky-strong-man guest to try to pull it apart once again!! After eight years of bartending for a living, I felt like a real boob!

As cheap as the stainless steel tin, a single Libbey pint glass and a strainer (don't go to Williams Sonoma!), why not get them both the Boston and a classic cocktail shaker?

Edited by beans (log)

I have a bunch of various shaped stainless steel and silver plate; new and vintage cocktail shakers  (antique/flea market shows, eBay  :wacko:  I love them all and collect for display to grace my at home bar).  I will never go through that experience again while entertaining guests and making cocktails for them at home!  We had to resort to using wide rubber bands (for better grip), running the thing under hot water on the bottom cup part and cold water only on the top removable part along with my imposition upon my must hunky-strong-man guest to try to pull it apart once again!!  After eight years of bartending for a living, I felt like a real boob!

I have two stainless steel shakers (one full size, one single serving size) that I use regularly and have never had this problem. I think it's all in the design and fit of the pieces. I especially use my smaller one the most since I usually make only one or two drinks at a time. The large glass and steel version would be overkill and cumbersome for my needs, though I can understand why professionals would like it - it can be much faster.

I have a set of these stainless steel cocktail picks that really dress up a drink: http://www.happycookers.com/wc.dll/product...ge/1-17551.html

Yeah, I've got a cute, logo'ed little guy courtesy of the kind folks at Stoli. It's great for shaking up one decent sized martini or two fairly sized shots. That's the only one I've never had that metal expansion/contraction problem.

I was using one from Pottery Barn (I think) for a group of six martini lovers in the poorly designed kitchen of my parents' home. One of which is my local newspaper, well read, written and spoken food and fine arts critic. (Yes, I've known her for 25+ years, and she still intimidates me!) I never know when she'll make reference to the Tanq 10 martinis or the Individual Valrhôna Milk Chocolate Gianduja Mousse Tarts that I made "while dining at the home of a friend." Scares the crap out of me every time! So imagine how I felt while she very carefully watched as I created these on Christmas day and turned as red as Santa's suit unable to seperate the bugger! :blush:

I'd spare anyone that inconvenience!

Nice picks! I picked up some fun glass olive ones from Crate and Barrel.

Similarly, another nice gift, are some fun stir sticks -- like the funny glass ones from Pier I (I've got penguins, top hats, pink elephants, etc.) or some recent lucite/plastic ones from Nordstroms (on sale quite cheap too -- surprise). Always sure to bring a smile to the recipient! :smile: The Nordie stir sticks were of various shape and coloured cocktails!

Edited by beans (log)

I was about to suggest stir sticks. Another thought is personalized martini (or whatever they might drink) glassware.

I agree about the shakers. I have a small one (courtesy of Maker's Mark) that I use all the time. I seldomly use the large one b/c it takes two men & a boy to remove the top & I have never been able to pour out of the thing w/o splashing liquid everywhere (& that would be alcohol abuse!).

I bought a cheapie glass mixer several years ago that has measurements & drink receipts on the side & I use that and a strainer most of the time.

another idea: I inherited a portable bar several years ago. It has small shaker cups, bar spoon, muddler, strainer, 2 jiggers & a deck of cards along w/ space for two regular size bottles. I never thought I would use the thing but now take it everywhere & do not know what I would do w/o it. Mine is leather but I have seen some newer ones in that canvas soft side stuff (I prefer the formed b/c of less chance of breakage).

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

I also have two stainless steel cocktail shakers that I love. The are my "barometer" to tell me when the cocktail is ready. I shake it until my fingertips go numb, then it is ready to drink :biggrin:

This sounds like a really nice gift. I would love it!

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

When I wanted a shaker, I went around to all the upscale kitchen shops, but found what I was looking for, the regular shaker they use in bars, at the restaurant supply shop. Topped with a beer glass, very professional, and you save enough money to throw in a waiter's corkscrew, too. Or a pair of champagne pliers.

Thanks for all your suggestions, I appreciate them. The only problem is that you're making me want some of this loot too, when I've been very happy with my minimalist approach until now!

I think I'm going to stick with what's called the Boston shaker, it works really well for me and the point is to use it, not to have it sit there and look good...their apt. is really small and I remember all too well too many well-meaning and useless presents I just couldn't afford to keep out of sentimentality during my super tiny apartment years. I would very guiltily slink off to the Goodwill after xmas every year... Just in case, I don't find a nice vintage one, what exact models of the all metal/prefab shakers have people been happy with?

The cocktail picks are a nice idea, but I just can't do platic cute stuff, I just can't. It would keep me awake at night, I'm sure. If I can find some of those stainless steel ones nighscotman mentioned, I'll go for them.

regards,

trillium

The cocktail picks are a nice idea, but I just can't do platic cute stuff, I just can't.  It would keep me awake at night, I'm sure.  If I can find some of those stainless steel ones nighscotman mentioned, I'll go for them.

I know it may sound odd but try Restoration Hardware.

Most of my cocktail equipment is from restaurant supply stores. But Restoration has been good for a few frills.