• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smoothies

NewYorkTexan

Im holding a course for a friend who had to cancel and the topic is smoothies with and without alchohol. Im thinking Ill make a Pina Colada smoothie, mayby a bloody mary one, and a fennel/granny smith variety. I was also thinking about a jackfruit or durian smoothie. Any carzy mixes or taste-ombinations would be appreciated. Its in three hours, so Im sorta sweating...hehe :laugh:

Probably too late for your class, but a good note is to tell them that whenever their bananas are starting to get overripe, to peel and put into a freezer baggie and freeze. I break them in half if they are large. Adds an excellent creaminess w/out frozen yogurt.

I have a smoothie every weekday morning. Always soy milk, usually orange juice, frozen fruit and frozen banana. I had one really killer one last week that took sunflower seeds, wheat germ and peanut butter. Yum. It was called an atomic smoothie.

Maggie

• 2 weeks later...

We use a Colombo yogurt "mix" base. With ripe fruit, we get a perfectly delicious smoothie, but is not exactly healthy compared to other bases. On another note, anyone have any ideas for a mango smoothie? Yeah, I know, mangoes, but you gotta use a lot and they're expensive, even now. I'd have to sell them for a zillion dollars to make it worthwhile.

I prefer to take whatever frozen fruit I can get at Costco and mix it with fruit juice, preferably some kind of tropical mix, and occasionally vanilla or plain yogurt.

The best fruit mix I've got at Costco was a tropical mix that included mango, papaya, and blackberries but it isn't available in Canada anymore. The berry mix is good and can usually be found at there. I've also found strawberries and a mango/peach combination.

brewers yeast is your friend.

love that stuff.  (not the way it tastes tho)

Try sprinkling it on buttered popcorn - I kid you not - it's really good that way.

I use low fat vanill afrozen yogurt as a base but also add ice which gives me the liquid and frozen component while reducing calries a bit (or at least helping to counteract the calroies of the frozen yogurt). Can't imagine using apple juice as a base because I love cider but hate the juice and every time I try a "juice blend" that I don't like it always turns out to have apple juice as the base.

It's probably just me but I can't use more than about 1/4 of a banana in a smoothie or it totally dominates the flavor. And the "special secret ingredient" that the smoothie stand in my local mall uses is simple syrup.

I know it's like trumpeting DeGiorno's in a pizza thread, but I have to recommend V8's Pina Colada "Smoothie" is really good. In a blender with ice and rum it's a nice after work treat.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

• 7 months later...

ok, I need to make a strawberry smoothie. Ingredients please? Do I need to use frozen strawberries? What else?

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I have been using recipes and ideas from Spiffy Smoothies and recipezarr smoothies

You can use fresh or frozen fruit. Strawberries, yogurt a sweetener if drink is too tart, and so on.

However, if I don't feel like looking at a recipe, I usually just use frozen fruits, in any combination or just one, yogurt, a little milk, orange juice or water if it is too thick, a teaspoon of almond meal or hazelnut meal, a dash of cinnamon (supposed to be good for diabetics) and whatever else occurs to me. Sometimes the fruits are a bit tart and I will add a teaspoon of Splenda.

I also sometimes add malted milk powder.

I like strawberry/banana with a dash of carrot juice. Blueberry/lemon, mango/lime and so on.

I buy the Greek yogurt at Trader Joe's, the zero fat stuff.

At recipezarr, check pages 4 and 7. Page 7 has a great recipe for mango lassi that is terrific.

Page 4 has a mango/ginger recipe that is super.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I had a Mango-Pineapple smoothie at a coffee bar Saturday evening. The taste was delicious and slightly creamy, but the texture left something to be desired. (To avoid grossout, I won't share the details on the texture.) Hence, I think I'm going to make my own Mango-Pineapple smoothie.

I have been using recipes and ideas from Spiffy Smoothies and recipezarr smoothies

Thanks Andie. I made a strawberry/banana smoothie for my son on the weekend using the basic recipe from recipezaar, and he really liked it. He browsed through the site and has come up with a few more for us to try.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

• 2 weeks later...

I make one kind of smoothie at home. Mango.

I've eaten so many bananas in my life that I can't eat them anymore, especially in a smoothie drink.

I merged a mango smoothie recipe from a vegetarian magazine and one from a Smoothie book.

The book recommended ALWAYS freezing the fruit. So I buy mangoes on sale, cut them up and freeze the pieces in foil.

My recipes is as follows:

1 frozen mango, cut into 1/2 pieces

1/2 cup Stonyfield French Vanilla Yogurt

1/2 cup milk (usually 1%)

1/2 lime.

Blend and taste to adjust texture and lime/mango balance.

I make one kind of smoothie at home. Mango.

i just experimented with that kind of smoothie this morning! i have been on a smoothie kick all week; today's was strawberry, mango, and meyer lemon, with a little bulgarian yogurt and ice. splashed a little mango nectar in there as well. mmmmm.

has anyone experimented with nuts in smoothies?

Edited by shoutsandmurmurs (log)

"i dream of cherry pies, candy bars and chocolate chip cookies." -talking heads

brewers yeast is your friend.

love that stuff.  (not the way it tastes tho)

Some movie theatres here offer brewers yeast in shakers for popcorn. And it's tasty. Also a secret ingredient in home fries. But I can't imagine it in a smoothie.

Ok, as if there were not enough reasons to move to Portland, OR (my sister, Voodoo Donut, the Columbia River Gorge, and bicycle commuters)-they have BY in shakers at movie theaters?!!!!

WOW!

I'm there, man, ASAP!

• 2 years later...

I had a surprising smoothie experience yesterday. I was making a smoothie with my new Bamix with the beater attachment (the one that is simply a flat disc) and began simply beating about 1/2 cup of whole milk. Before long it became really creamy, and when I added 2 frozen blackberries (only two -- if they had any effect I'd say it was on temperature) it continued to thicken. By the time I was done I was able to invert the cup over my head without so much as a drop spilling out. It was amazing.

Can anyone explain the science behind this, or at least how I can utilise this for my own nefarious ends? I tried making a chocolate mousse by melting a little chocolate into some milk, but this didn't thicken. What are the important factors here -- temperature? Fat content? Time? Lunar phase?

Dr. Zoidberg: Goose liver? Fish eggs? Where's the goose? Where's the fish?

Elzar: Hey, that's what rich people eat. The garbage parts of the food.

My blog: The second pancake

I have smoothies for breakfast daily especially as I have to be at work by 7am and making breakfast any other way at that ungodly hour is not on. I use 250 gm. yogurt, 200 gm. frozen fruit and 30 gm of unflavoured protein powder and add milk to thin. I use a stick blender and take the smoothie with me in the car. I find I don't get hungry in the mornings now with a protein drink for breakfast and my food intake as a result has decreased to the point that I am loosing weight. Yahoooo.

"Flay your Suffolk bought-this-morning sole with organic hand-cracked pepper and blasted salt. Thrill each side for four minutes at torchmark haut. Interrogate a lemon. Embarrass any tough roots from the samphire. Then bamboozle till it's al dente with that certain je ne sais quoi."

Arabella Weir as Minty Marchmont - Posh Nosh

Bananas are ubiquitous in smoothies because they are cheap, available all year long, and add nutrients and thickness. I hate them in a smoothie or in anything else, but they are very useful and healthy for those who like the taste.

I think smoothies are best when they are very cold--hence the addition of frozen products like frozen fruit, ice cream or sorbet. My daughter, who needs a high-fat diet, adds vanilla ice cream to a drink that typically has banana, frozen berries and milk. She likes orange juice instead of milk sometimes, but still adds ice cream, creating a sort of creamsicle effect.

I like a drink that's lower in fat and cholesterol. I'm not too interested in smoothies until the weather warms up, so I tend to use fresh fruit rather than frozen. I use 1 percent milk, berries or peaches, a little Fage yogurt and a scoop of sorbet if I feel like a dairy-type shake. I also really like just a fruit drink made with orange juice, grapefuit or pineapple sorbet and fresh fruit. If you can find a good coconut-pineapple sorbet you can make a yummy tropical smoothie with milk or juice and fresh mango or stone fruit. A few drops of vanilla or almond extract is nice in some drinks. Almond extract works well with a fresh apricot dairy shake.

I have been making a lot of smoothies this year with my new vitamix blender (get one if you dont have one)

Anyway here are some of my favorites.

Berries Smoothie: Blackberries, Strawberries, Raspberries, some fresh squeezed orange juice and some fresh coconut water.

Tropical Smoothie: Mango, Pineapple, orange segments, banana, fresh coconut water.