• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Heartland & Our Neighbors (October 17-19 )

MatthewB

Oh ye of little faith (not that you have much reason to get your hopes up :sad: ) (Shit, the Yankees beat the Sox tonight :angry: )

Anyway, still OT: Lady T, it's a class on "How to Market Your Freelance Editing Services." Do you think people here would be interested in a précis? :unsure:

Me too. If I didn't have to work this weekend, I'd be packing up my yellow polo shirt and pointing the car towards Grand Rapids :biggrin:

Call in sick, Babe!

I second that. It's just work. Blow that off!

(sure, look who's talking)

Can we watch the Marlin's World Series game on Saturday night?

Can we watch the Cub's World Series game instead (Destiny not withstanding)?

Actually, if the Cubs don't make it to the World Series blame me and Dusty. Right after the top of the 7th, the announcers mentioned that the Cubs only have six more outs until the World Series at which point (Cubs were up 3-0) I mentioned to my wife that Dusty Baker was only 6 outs away from a WS victory with the Giants and lost it all. I hope I'm not right!

By the way, the Cubs-Marlins game is now over, Cubs loose 8-3.

Me too. If I didn't have to work this weekend, I'd be packing up my yellow polo shirt and pointing the car towards Grand Rapids :biggrin:

Call in sick, Babe!

I second that. It's just work. Blow that off!

(sure, look who's talking)

Don't think it didn't cross my mind. If the place burns down between now and Friday, I'm there.

Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega

Call in sick, Babe!

It's called that most legitimate of illnesses: Vision Trouble (can't see going to work).

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Oh no! I just got a call from my ex-husband and he's being sent overseas for a week - starting Friday night. This means I've suddenly got the kids with me for the weekend and I won't be able to make the trek and the gathering. I'm heartbroken! I'm so sorry I'll be missing this, and so sorry to be ducking out at such a late date, but I'll be with you all in spirit. Have a great time and I'll send along good wishes for good weather and good food.

Laura

I've PMed directions to everyone who is driving. If I forgot you by mistake please PM me.

Weather forecast is sunny and mid-50s, not too bad.

It looks like the only set plans are dinner Friday, Market Saturday morning, and dinner party Saturday. It looks like Saturday may be an all day cook along like Varmint's Pig Pickin, except Michelle doesn't have a maze for a kitchen. :wink:.

According to Matthew Michelle is worried about her white carpeting, so please wear some nice, clean socks on Saturday along with your yellow polo shirt.

Lady T, it's a class on "How to Market Your Freelance Editing Services."  Do you think people here would be interested in a précis? :unsure:

:cool:

Suzanne:

Well...I am in fact a freelance editor, and I'm always interested in drumming up business, as you might guess. (Gotta do something to pay for Le Bernardin next spring when I hit NYC for a rematch!)

We've got a lot of writers and editors on the site. Might I suggest that you contact The Powers That Be and suggest an eGullet lecture/seminar similar to Monica's cooking classes? An additional suggestion: You might want to check in with Maggiethecat to get details on the Writers' Retreat we're beginning to plan for December. Apart from the usual Midwestern Damn Fine Food ™, serious drinking, and customary hijinks, there's going to be some righteous skullboning and scribbling/word processing going on.

End OT digression.

(Edited to add: I don't have a yellow polo shirt either. I do, however, have clean socks.)

:biggrin:

Edited by Lady T (log)

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

Matthew, is there anything we need to bring? I'm going to bring some reduced veal stock along with the meat.

Do you need:

extra knives

cutting boards

pots/pans etc.

wine/cocktail glasses

plates/napkins/silverware

thermometers

Can anyone think of anything else? I wish Dave was coming with his tackle box of goodies.

Matthew, is there anything we need to bring? I'm going to bring some reduced veal stock along with the meat.

Do you need:

extra knives

cutting boards

pots/pans etc.

wine/cocktail glasses

plates/napkins/silverware

thermometers

Can anyone think of anything else? I wish Dave was coming with his tackle box of goodies.

Hmmmm.

Basically, we're outfitted for two people prepping at the same time.

So, if we want more than two people prepping (there's a song there, I know it), we will need extra knives, cutting boards, etc.

We should be ok as far as pots/pans.

Do we want real glasses or plastic cups for wine?

I was thinking heavy-duty paper plates & plastic utensils. Do we want real stuff?

We're fine on thermometers.

I wish Dave was coming with his tackle box of goodies.

I wish I was coming, too, security blanket or not.

Don't forget extra side towels -- and since you're on the grill/smoker, an extra pair of welder's gloves might come in handy, in case some guy from Jersey makes off with yours and you don't see them for the rest of the weekend.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.