• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

lay-over in Newark

unreserved

Hi, I have a 10 hour lay-over in Newark on my way to Europe and was wondering if anyone could suggest somewhere to go for an extended lunch or something of that kind. I haven't a clue where the airport is located in relation to the nearest populated area so I apologise if the answer is a no-brainer. :blink:

Thanks for the help.

Anthony - aka "unreserved"

"Never eat at a place called 'Moms', but if the only other place in town has a sign that says 'Eats', go back to Moms."

W. C. Fields

Seabras Mediterranean Manor on Jefferson Street for "Rodizio" or brazilian barbecue all you can eat

or Casa Vasca for Spanish.

You could easily kill 2 hours plus at Mediterranean Manor hanging out in the bar and then eating dinner.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

You're about a half hour out of New York City with all manner of transportation available.  With 10 hours to kill I'd spend the day in Manhattan.

It depends when he is coming in, on certain days the traffic from newark to NYC is horrendous. I'd maybe spend 2 or 3 hours at the big mall right by Newark and spend some time in Ironbound by Mediterranean Manor.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

I assume, on a layover, that you would have no way of getting around the local area; best thing, as someone previously mentioned, is to take the 30 minute bus or taxi to Manhattan, that will open up an endless number of choices for you to partake in.

Yeah, Newark Penn Station will get you into manhattan in like 15-20 minutes flat by train too.

Yeah, Newark Penn Station will get you into manhattan in like 15-20 minutes flat by train too.

Newark Airport has an internal transporter called the monorail, which links the terminals and parking areas with the Amtrak / NJ Transit Northeast Corridor rail line to Newark and NY City.

The monorail is free for use within the airport. Access to, and use of the rail line to NYC is about $11.55 for a one-way trip on the NJ Transit system (Amtrak is more expensive) . As noted, the trip takes about 20 minutes from the airport, trains run about every 20 minutes during the day, less frequently on nights and weekends.

Penn Station NY is located on Seventh avenue at 33rd street, a short cab ride from the Broadway and off-Broadway theaters. Wednesday and Saturday are matinee days for most Bway shows (2pm), many shows have a 2 pm or 3 pm Sunday as well. Bway shows generally play Tuesday thru Saturday evenings. The Metropolitan Museum of Art (5th Ave at 82nd), or the Museum of Natural History (Central Park West at 72nd) are also good bets.

Within the immediate Newark area, the Newark Museum has an extensive collection of Tibetan art (who knew?) and a gloriously restored home once occupied by the Ballantine beer family. That will do 3 -4 hours, have a nice dinner in one of the Portuguese places, and cab back to the airport.

Should you wish to simply relax, most major hotel chains have locations in the airport area, and are happy to accomodate short stay guests who crave a shower and a warm, flat, bed.

edited to reflect thereuare's correction

Edited by Rail Paul (log)

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Thank you all very much - I am overwhelmed by your gracious suggestions. I will print them out and take them with me and definitely report back upon my return. If I can ever help any of you out, Montreal and Salzburg are two cities I know very well.

Thanks again.

"Never eat at a place called 'Moms', but if the only other place in town has a sign that says 'Eats', go back to Moms."

W. C. Fields

Thank you all very much - I am overwhelmed by your gracious suggestions.  I will print them out and take them with me and definitely report back upon my return.  If I can ever help any of you out, Montreal and Salzburg are two cities I know very well.

Thanks again.

Hang loose and enjoy yourself. You should be able to find something you like. What are the must do places in your world?

Living hard will take its toll...

FYI, the metrolink (train from EWR to NYC) is actually about $12/each way, not $13/RT.

I'd also make sure that you're luggage will not have to be retrieved and re-checked at EWR, as i have heard that new rules prevent them from checking your luggage in too many hours before a flight.

If you decide the NYC jaunt, i would also have a back-up plan for dining in Newark... if your plane gets delayed and arrives late, NYC may be a bit too rushed so i'd suggest bringing along the info for dining in Newark as well.

Edited by thereuare (log)

Forget Newark, take a cab into Elizabeth. Most of Newark Airport is actually in Elizabeth. Go to the Madrid for traditional Spanish food or Manolo's for Spanish food with an updated flavor. If you're low on oil go to Tommy's for an Italian Sausage sandwich or Jerry's next door for a hot dog (Jerry's made it on to Hot Dog John's top ten). Afterwards take a cab to the Jersey Gardens outlet mall and kill some time wandering around there. None of this is more than 10 minutes from the airport by car, the mall is maybe 5 minutes. Enjoy and travel safely.

Madrid Restaurant: 645 New Point Rd. (908)289-6767

Manolo Restaurant: 91 Elizabeth Ave. (908)353-7674

Tommy's Italian Sausage: 900 2nd Ave. (908)351-9831

Jersey Gardens Mall: 651 Kaplowski Rd (908)354-5900

Edited by dbrociner (log)

FYI, the metrolink (train from EWR to NYC) is actually about $12/each way, not $13/RT.

yes. that could be the difference btwn super-sizing and not super-sizing. :smile:

How's this...

the RT fare is actually $24/RT, not $13/RT.

That's not just super-sizing, that's about 2 complete combo meals!

Edited by thereuare (log)

• 5 weeks later...

Again, big thanks to everyone – Upon entering NJ International AP I was armed with 7 pages of eGullet suggestions. Unfortunately, after missing the early train to Penn St in N.Y. and then hopping on an Amtrak instead of the regular N.J. line (~24R/T), I did not have as much time as I would have liked. A friend of mine met me in N.Y. and insisted we go to Pastis, on little west 12th street in the meatpacking district. The waiter spoke to us in a very heavy French accent. Naturally I decided to speak to him in French (as I am from Montreal) at which point I realised that his fake accent was his idea of French – amusing. In any event, I stuck with a straightforward salad Niçoise and a glass of white Beaujolais, which I had never tried. I hesitate to judge a restaurant by one salad alone but I will say that I am not a fan of serving wine in 6-8 oz tumblers – maybe I am just old fashioned – many places seem to do it but I still don’t think it is right IMHO.

There are so many great places to eat in Montreal and in order to avoid being blasted, I would recommend searching on the Montreal link where you will receive comprehensive information on the Montreal restaurant scene but for the sake of completeness let me just throw a few Montreal spots (I know I am not hitting all the spots): Steak: Queue de cheval / Regional Market: Toqué! / Schwartz: A must (smoked meat i.e. pastrami from heaven). I send my guests to Hotel Nelligan – a beautiful boutique hotel in Old Montreal. I have an interest in Restaurant Agapes (Continental cuisine) on St-Denis/Sherbrooke – It is only proper to disclose :rolleyes:

What I do want to tell you about is a secret known primarily to Salzburgers concerning a famous coffee spot. One crisp Saturday afternoon I was strolling the old town centre when I noticed a few people walking around with these delicious-looking coffees. Now, in N.A. this is nothing unusual, but in Austria few people walk around with coffee – In their view, coffee is to be sipped and enjoyed while seated (hard to disagree). Well, I still wanted my “take-out” coffee. I searched everywhere and no one had what I was looking for or they were not telling me about it – I finally approached a friendly looking local who was holding a coffee piled with thick cream and did my best pleading. I could tell she was reluctant to let me in on the secret but finally she gave in and now I will tell you: The coffee house is Tomaselli’s and you must go in through the side door – at first you will think this is only the entrance to the toilettes (WC) – crafty Austrians - you will notice an ordinary looking passage that will lead you to the kitchen of Tomaselli’s where you can order coffee, hot chocolate and if they are in a good mood, a pastry. Next, you can proudly walk the streets of Salzburg while sharing quiet smiles with the other “insiders”. Thanks again!

W. C. Fields

Ah, I see you fell victim to the curse of all intrepid eGulleteers, the "I know better than you where to go" local. It is a similar syndrome to the Lazy Group disease I outlined in the thread, Need Restaurant near Caribe Hilton/Caribbean forum, a few weeks ago:

Just a side note... What frequently happens with these large group situations is that the foodie of the group has done a bunch of research, but then no one listens to them. The group complains they're tired, "let's just go to the hotel restaurant" says a particularly grumpy and hungry adult, "I want a hamburger" whines the youngest child. Be strong. Insist. Threaten to go there by yourself if they all want to not experience the local flavor. Drag them.

Of course your group may be of the rarer variety. The "Fabulous! thereuare has done all this research for us. Let's all go to where the good people at eGullet are sending us. They won't steer us wrong!" variety is a protected species.

PS - unreserved, thank you so much for posting a follow-up. It is very much appreciated, even if our good advice went unheeded.