• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to eat in LA

jgbanker

I will be in LA for three nights in August.  Does anyone have suggestions for restaurants that I should not miss?

Where are you staying? What do you like? What do you dislike? Where are you from? What's your budget? But Spago (the tasting menu) is a great suggestion.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

What are your tastes? There are some so many ends of the spectrum! On one end, there is Pinks - famous hot dogs, dontchaknow. Yeah, and then there is Spago but I have always found it a bit over-rated (and too expensive!). Comparable to Spago is Josie. I mean, L.A. is a place for amazing styles of food, depending on where you are coming from. If you live in an area that doesn't have great Mexican, than you should try some. Same with Sushi...

The requests for more info are important to know what to recommend. In the mean time check the thread tomorrow about the e-gullet dinner at Restaurant 2117 in W.L.A. Please do give us some ideas of your tastes. Welcome to e-gullet.

" Food and Wine Fanatic"

Thanks for all the responses. My wife and I are staying in Marina Del Rey and will be touring around LA. I know traffic is a big issue so we will pick restaurants that are convenient to our actvities. Probably going to the Getty Center, Beverly Hills, Universal Studios, drive along the coast and any other tourist stuff we can come up with. We are from NJ and eat in NYC alot (love Nobu). Things we like in a restaurant are great food without a stuffy atmosphere, amazing decor, open kitchens, fusion cuisine (Roy Yamaguchi), Italian, Mexican, Asian. We like to eat just about anything. I know California has some unique restaurants so I guess we are looking for some places that we won't find in NYC. As far as budget goes, we don't need the most expensive place in town,but hot dogs are not on our menu either (unless they are the Kobe beef dogs at the Old Homestead). I hope this give you a bit more insight into what we want. Thanks again for any help.

Thanks for all the responses.  My wife and I are staying in Marina Del Rey and will be touring around LA.  I know traffic is a big issue so we will pick restaurants that are convenient to our actvities.  Probably going to the Getty Center, Beverly Hills, Universal Studios, drive along the coast and any other tourist stuff we can come up with.  We are from NJ and eat in NYC alot (love Nobu).  Things we like in a restaurant are great food without a stuffy atmosphere, amazing decor, open kitchens, fusion cuisine (Roy Yamaguchi), Italian, Mexican, Asian.  We like to eat just about anything.  I know California has some unique restaurants so I guess we are looking for some places that we won't find in NYC.  As far as budget goes, we don't need the most expensive place in town,but hot dogs are not on our menu either (unless they are the Kobe beef dogs at the Old Homestead).  I hope this give you a bit more insight into what we want.  Thanks again for any help.

Okay, you have Nobu's in NYC so you probably don't need to eat at Matsuhisa's on La Cienega. You have a Roy Yamaguchi, so you don't need to try his original L.A. restaurant. All this helps. On the other hand, I would't bother eating at the Getty. It is pretty good, but an awful lot of money for whatyou get. For quintessential L.A., I'd consider Gladstones in Malibu for seafood. Incredible ocean view, potential movie star sightings, and great seafood.

I would avoid the restaurants at Universal Studios. I believe there is a Gladstones there but the tourist crowds are so horrendous, it is not worth it -- as is most of the establishments there. Eat beforehand or afterwards, but don't spend your money and time there if you can help it.

Beverly Hills is lovely (especially for The Beverly Hills Cheese Store!), but again, it tends towards being a tourist trap. Just away from BH are California places like Dan Tana's for steaks. Or, head towards Hollywood for Musso & Franks or Formosa Cafe (again, quintessential California).

For an out of the way and truly memorable sushi restaurant, I can't say enough good stuff about Sushi Mori. (I tried to on this thread. ) Not too far from where you are staying.

Takao in San Vicente in Westwood is another great California-type sushi place, with very good raw fish salad/ceviche type dishes. Very low key place; the decor is nothing special but the food's great.

If you want to eat near Universal Studios, try Sushi Nozawa, a quintessential hole in the wall with legendary sushi--much discussed on the boards and Zagats. I prefer more refined styles, but Nozawa will beat anyplace in Universal Studios by a LOT.

In Malibu, I will differ from Margaret Pilgrim: Gladstone's is great for a sunset drink, but I find it to be too touristy to enjoy. If you really want to eat near there, go farther up PCH to the Reel Inn: still a Malibu dive, but more local. You order your beers and fish at the counter and they bring it to you. No ocean view, though.

For old Hollywood/LA vibe, Musso's is great, as is Taylor's (on Wilshire), an almost surreal journey back in time. These are great old steak houses with lots of history; Musso's being the more famous of the two by far.

AOC is a very good idea, newer and trendier than the other places mentioned, with a great selection of wines by the glass, rare cheeses, and very good cooking. You could also consider Lucques, the slightly more formal place from the same duo. (Sunday night is family dinner night, with a three course set menu, always fun and good.)

In Beverly Hills, there are many fancy places, some better than others. I love Pain Quotidien for great baked goods and casual lunches, but this is an outpost of a NY company, so it might not be unique for you. The Cheese Store, as Margaret says, is amazing.

For fine dining, Sona is my pick. (See notes here ). Spago is good, too, and an institution. Wolfgang's place in Venice, Chinois on Main, is very close to you and still gets great reviews. I haven't been in ages but used to enjoy it.

Campanile, on La Brea, is great for brunch, and is also good for dinner, though I find the prices steep for what you get.

In Santa Monica, I like Border Grill. It is not "off the beaten track" per se, but the food is still great: modern cal mex that is hard to beat. The portions are huge, so watch out!

In general, the farther East you go, the better ethnic you will find: Mexican, Thai, Chinese, Armenian. If you would like specific recs on those types of places, let us know. The Westside, especially near the beaches, is more upscale, so the choices are different.

If you get a chance, spend a bit of time exploring Abbot Kinney in Venice. It's close to the Marina and is very lively, full of interesting new spots. I like Axe for any meal, a spare, modernist place with good food (but bad acoustics) . Interesting shops and art galleries, too.

Places to avoid: The Ivy , Mr. Chow’s, Valentino (old and tired, bad food.) Eurochow, Spanish Kitchen, Dolce, Koi, Sushi Roku, Paladar (TOO trendy, not paying enough attention in the kitchen).

And you must check out 2117, where we had out first LA e-gullet dinner. I am sure many posts will be forthcoming on our fabulous dinner! If you like cal/French with Asian influences, it is a great find, very low-key décor and reasonable prices. :smile::smile::smile:

Let me know if you need specifics on any of the above—and please let us know where you end up!

For a truly LA experience, I second Mixmaster B's suggestons of Chinois, Sona, and Sushi Nozowa.

If you really love Nobu, you can try Matsuhisa (La Cienaga in Beverly Hills), which is the original Nobu, and where you are far more likely to actually find Nobu. I like it much better than the Nobus.

Edited by Beachfan (log)

beachfan

As for tourist stuff, get downtown. See the new cathedral. Drive by the Disney Concert Hall (by Gehry). Check out MOCA. Go to Olvera Street. Have carnitas at La Luz Del Dia. Walk over to Union Station (scene of many a film). Check out the menu at Traxx there. Walk over to Philippe's. Line up for one of their French Dip sandwiches--I like lamb or turkey with blue cheese. You can get Silver Oak by the glass there or just lemonade.

As for tourist stuff, get downtown.  See the new cathedral.  Drive by the Disney Concert Hall (by Gehry).  Check out MOCA.  Go to Olvera Street.  Have carnitas at La Luz Del Dia.  Walk over to Union Station (scene of many a film).  Check out the menu at Traxx there.  Walk over to Philippe's.  Line up for one of their French Dip sandwiches--I like lamb or turkey with blue cheese.  You can get Silver Oak by the glass there or just lemonade.

In the last year I've spent a couple of weeks in LA (first time in my life), and everything that Hollywood has mentioned is right on. My daughter and her SO took us to Olvera Street right after Mass had let out. Watching the families stroll with their kids, eating where there was the biggest line; it was fun.

The Getty's a must. So, if you're a gallery freak and a gardener, like me, is the Huntington in the town whose name I've forgotten, but is close enough to Pasadena to be Pasadena. San Marino?

My daughter told me about the great show hanging at MOCA right now...but I've forgotten already!

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Only two things to add:

1. The view from the Getty is to die for. There are 2 eating choices. The restaurant where you must make reservations in advance. They also have a cafeteria which is pretty upscale as cafeterias go. By the way, entrance to the Getty is free but parking costs $5 and reservations are required for that as well.

2. If you want to combine Puck and Malibu -- go to Granita. No view but you'll be in the heart of Malibu.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

1.  The view from the Getty is to die for.  There are 2 eating choices.  The restaurant where you must make reservations in advance.  They also have a cafeteria which is pretty upscale as cafeterias go.  By the way, entrance to the Getty is free but parking costs $5 and reservations are required for that as well.

I don't think you need parking reservations anymore, especially during the week and especially if you are from out of town. And there's a workaround: if there's no parking, you park at a nearby lot and take a private shuttle.

Anyone tried the Hump, the sushi bar in the Santa Monica airport? Great ambience, very good food.

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

Anyone tried the Hump, the sushi bar in the Santa Monica airport? Great ambience, very good food.

The Hump is overrated.

bah!

I agree--it is probably not a "can't miss" place.

I still like the Hump, though: the room is really nice, and the service is excellent. I think the sushi is just avarage (which in LA is still pretty damn good), but the sahimi salads are often really worthwhile.

When we go to the Getty Center, how's The Restaurant for lunch?

It's good. It costs more than the cafeteria which is surprisingly good. You might want to make reservations for lunch to get a good (view) table.