• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Any Reports on the New Alciati Family Restaurant

Peter Rodgers

Curious to know if anyone is aware of whether the second of the Da Guido progeny has opened (the expected restaurant near Alba, as opposed to the supposedly disappointing "Da Guido" at Relais San Maurizio) and if so whether there is a report to be had.

• 1 month later...

This just in: I knew that a Michelin one-star known for its seafood specialities, La Noce in Volpiano, had closed, and it was said that the owners were moving to Pollenzo, near Bra, the site of the second new Guido. Lo and behold, it's a merger! The catalog for Slow Food's cheese extravaganza in Bra reveals sponsorship of a dinner in the new Guido on September 19. It appears that Ugo Alciati (a better bet as mama Lidia's successor to the Guido culinary fortunes) will share the kitchen with Savino Mongelli of La Noce, while Savino's wife Marcella will share the front of the house with Piero Alciati. This could, of course, be a recipe for disaster, but the idea of grafting excellent seafood onto the legendary Guido menu is ever so appealing. I will check it out this fall. Peter R, as I took inventory of my summer trip, I realized that work (via laptop) had kept me from any new revelations. My summer favorite was clearly Trattoria della Posta in Monforte, which, like Il Centro in Priocca, has blossomed into a ristorante to contend with. See also my post under "Alba Restaurants".

Bill Klapp

bklapp@egullet.com

Mmm. We have plans to be in Alba in March. Hope to have a happy report from you by then. Agree that the combination of Ugo and Piero give this venture the greatest chance of success. Plus, a merger will allow for a bit more adventure. I have always loved Da Guido, but the menu seemed tired after many years, especially once you got passed the primi piatti. Agree by the way that Trattoria della Posta deserves much greater recognition than it has achieved thus far. By chance did you get to La Ciau del Tornavento in Treiso or to Cantina del Roero in Canale? If so, how did you fare?

Did not make it to Ciau or Enoteca this past trip. Enoteca has always been fabulous. I love the people at Ciau, and the kitchen is capable of brilliance, but in recent visits, it was not there. Ciau has been banished to Klapp purgatory, with La Contea in Neive. I'll go back to both, but, given the extraordinary quality of Piemontese ristoranti, it is tough to waste your limited opportunities on places that do not deliver the goods EVERY time out.

Bill Klapp

bklapp@egullet.com

It already has. It is known as Guido di Costigliole, and for the time being, has mama Lidia and her youngest son in the kitchen. When they left Costigliole d' Asti, we got two Guidos for the price of one. The Santo Stefano Belbo location is the restaurant for a fancy Relais et Chateaux hotel.

Bill Klapp

bklapp@egullet.com

Da Felicin closed briefly for renovations, and in 2003, lost its Michelin star. I have heard a strange story or two about the owner. One involved some confusion about whether or not a reservation was cancelled, where Felicin's owner tracked down the person who had made the reservation in another nearby restaurant and blessed him out publicly! As noted above, however, Trattoria della Posta is the clear up-and-comer in Monforte these days. Another in town, La Collina, is also getting some good press, although I have not tried it.

Bill Klapp

bklapp@egullet.com

• 2 weeks later...
This just in:  I knew that a Michelin one-star known for its seafood specialities, La Noce in Volpiano, had closed, and it was said that the owners were moving to Pollenzo, near Bra, the site of the second new Guido.  Lo and behold, it's a merger!  The catalog for Slow Food's cheese extravaganza in Bra reveals sponsorship of a dinner in the new Guido on September 19.  It appears that Ugo Alciati (a better bet as mama Lidia's successor to the Guido culinary fortunes) will share the kitchen with Savino Mongelli of La Noce, while Savino's wife Marcella will share the front of the house with Piero Alciati.  This could, of course, be a recipe for disaster, but the idea of grafting excellent seafood onto the legendary Guido menu is ever so appealing.  I will check it out this fall.  Peter R, as I took inventory of my summer trip, I realized that work (via laptop) had kept me from any new revelations.  My summer favorite was clearly Trattoria della Posta in Monforte, which, like Il Centro in Priocca, has blossomed into a ristorante to contend with.  See also my post under "Alba Restaurants".

Bill, what´s the actual status on the Universita in Pollenzo? Is the ristorante open now where Piero Acliati reappears? Have you eaten there? Or ware we just days away? I will be down there in November and would be very happy to see Piero again.

We were in Asti a few weeks ago and were denied a return visit to Il Centro in Priocca d'Alba because the shmucks at the hotel Castello di Vila in Isola d'Asti didn't bother to make the reservation for us. We settled on Ciau de Tornavento and had a very good meal except for the very poor desserts. I wouldn't rule it out, but I would go to Enoteca and Il Centro before. These are where the great eating is around the Alba-Astil route. We had a mediocre meal at the new Guido in the San Maurizio, but it had opened just a few months before. Flipot was interesting as well. I don't see where it gets its second star, however. I liked more our meal in March at Il Centro. Lamb roasted in hay was remarkable. But don't stay there if you like decent accomodations.

Until 27 October.

Great! We check into La Villa Meidiana on 10/26 (thanks for the advice). It would be nice to get together in town that evening for a glass of wine, or for a coffee the next morning before you leave.