• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Little Help?

hndapwrman

Hi folks.....I've enjoyed this site and after standing sheepishly in the corner, I have decided to brave it and ask for some help.

I just bought a Char-Griller (side firebox has been ordered, but is not in yet). I am in the process of seasoning the grill and grates. I bought myself some hardwood (natural) charcol, some hickory wood, a chimney starter and ....the important part, a pork butt and a whole brisket. I figure I'll start with the pork butt since it seems like it would take a little more abuse.

I'm all gung ho, but not sure where to start exactly. You know, how much wood, charcol, brine, mopping, temps, etc. I hate to bother you folks with stuff that has been said before, so if there is a link to a thread or something that you think I might find helpful, I would be very thankful. Any new tips would be awsome also. Thanks in advance for any help! Happy Fourth!

Thanks for the tips! (Fantastic stuff Col.!!!)

My grates are seasoned and I was going to start a Butt, but I saw the suggestion of Col. Klink on brining. I put my butt in brine (hmmm maybe that didn't sound right) and decided that unless I wanted some pork to be done at midnight I should just start it tomorrow.

Question: I'll take it out of the brine in the morning, should I also give it a rub, or will mopping after 1.5 hours suffice?

Thanks!

You'll be happy with the brine (I'm a disciple of Klink). Rub it if you want, but it is not neccesary. I brined my butt yesterday/today and it is now rubbed waiting for tomorrow.

I hope you "got" the part about drinking beer/wine/bourbon etc. while smoking. It is the most important part.

Great point!! The fridge is stocked with beer and I'll transfer them to a cooler filled with ice. I am not sure if there is anythig better than pulling a beer out of ice and b.s.ing with friends and family while tending to meat. A little Makers Mark might be in order too.

What kind of rub did you use? I saw Klink's dry rub but didn't know if that worked well with butts. I know once I get a couple smokes under my belt I'll have fun with experimenting, but my I think trying some "tries and true" ideas would be a good idea for now. Will you pull the pork for sandwiches?

The rub I used this time is (approximately):

4 parts paprika

3 parts black pepper

2 parts ancho chile powder

2 parts dry mustard

1 part ground cloves

2 parts ground Mexican oregano

I didn't put salt or sugar in the rub because it was in the brine.

Edit: Yes, I'm goping to pull the pork for sandwiches (w/ coleslaw on top).

Edited by guajolote (log)

What kind of rub did you use?

You can use whatever flavors suit your fancy. However, a dry rub on a butt (~7 lbs) is not going to have the same affect as a rub on ribs because the former is up to 6 inches thick and the latter is less than an inch. After a number of hours on the smoker, basically all that remains of a rub is the heat -- all of those delicate flavors in the rub will be washed away, especially when you start mopping.

Have a happy 4th and post pics if you can! For inspiration, here was my last bbq:

fbc39d83.jpg

I'm going to take a different view.

A pork butt, in my opinion doesn't need brining.

We do a rub, and then smoke over lump charcoal with cherry or apple wood for flavor.

Typical cooking time at 225-250 degrees is about 14 hours for 7lb butts (brings the internal temperature up to 190-195, then let rest for a while before pulling).

Also, because of the nature of my cooker (ceramic) I don't have to mop, so the rub stays put, forming a beautiful crust.

Edited by alanz (log)

Wow Col. Klink......now that is a bbq!!! Being my first smoke, I am being a little more timid. One Butt. I brined it in Kosher Salt, Brown Sugar and Water for about 18 hours. Since I am waiting on the firebox from Char Griller, I had to build a fire off to the side. Seemed to work pretty well, obviously some temp fluctuations, especially when I put more lump and wood on. I was patient and didn't try to over correct or anything, just worked with the damper.

I put a quick rub of Kosher, pepper, dried mustard, paprica, garlic salt and dried parsley. I let it go for an hour and a half and mopped with a little brown mustard, red wine vin, salt, pepper, cillantro, hot sauce and some fresh lime juice. I mopped about every hour or so.

I had to add fuel every hour or so also. Is that normal? I was trying to keep the "fire" small so it didn't get too hot. I have a probe stuck through a potato to check the temp of the grill along with an oven thermometer on the grate and the thermometer on the char-griller.

She has been on for about 7 hours now, and she looks pretty good! If figure a little while longer and I'll be styling.

BTW......Grey Goose and lemonade to strat with then followed up with a couple Hacker-Pschorr Weisse beers as the afternoon slipped by. This looks like it will be an addictive hobby. Thanks for everyones input. I'll put a couple pics up when she is done!

Thanks for the inspiration on the rub and mop Kilk. I liked yours and followed you sugestion of adding things that I like.

Edited by hndapwrman (log)

hndapwrman,

One thing to watch out for.

When the internal temp of the meat reaches about 165 degrees, you'll find that it stays there for a long time, perhaps several hours, before the temp starts to rise again.

It's at this point that the connective tissue is breaking down and liquefying, and it takes some time. When that's done, the temperature of the meat will begin to climb.

Many folk who don't expect this start wondering if their meat thermometer is broken < s >

Good things come to those who wait!

One more thing to consider. It's the same effort to cook 2 or 3 butts as it is to do one.... and they freeze wonderfully once cooked (especially using a vacuum sealer, like a foodsaver).

Enjoy.

Funny you said that. I was wondering what happened.....it was going fine and then slowed to a crawl. It turned out real good!! A real nice smoke ring and tender as can be (except for those nice dark bits on the outside....yum!!).

I like that idea of cooking multiple butts and vac sealing them. Foodsavers really are great. Do you put anything on the pork before you seal it or do you add something when you re-heat it (if you put anything on at all)?

It ended up taking about 12 hours for the butt. A little longer than what I thought, but certainly worth the wait.

I took a couple digital pics, but I have no idea how to post them. Can anyone give me a little help?

Thanks!

Edited by hndapwrman (log)

hndapwrman,

No, we just seal the butts, one to a bag. We simmer the bag in a pot of water to reheat. Pretty much foolproof, and the flavor stays in the bag, with no place to go... so it works out beautifully.

If we're just keeping it a week, it stays in the refrigerator. Longer than that, it goes into the freezer.

alanz,

You pull it before sealing, correct?

Thanks for the tip. Might as well cook multiples. I guess it is kind of a waste of wood and lump doing just one. Especially when I can vac it into bags, reheat it easily and it still tastes good.

Actually I seal the butts whole. I don't think I've ever sealed it after its been pulled.

Besides, pulling the pork in front of some guests is part of the fun of serving the meat < s >