• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tapioca Drinks (Boba and others)

Boba means "Huge Tits". Sorry for being straight forward. It is just an advertising slogan 15 years ago. Prior the intro of Boba, black tapioca pearl were a lot smaller. I am wondering where Bobafett got his name???

Cheers,

AzianBrewer

Leave the gun, take the canoli

Not really. It's a little more specific then just "tits". It makes sense actually, in a funny way, because the "bubbles" kind of do resemble nipples. It also makes you understand why the drinks started out such a huge hit with teenagers in Taiwan.

regards,

trillium

I think I heard my Taiwanese students say"mother's milk" or something to that effect? :unsure:

I thought it was the part where the mother's milk came out of (very specifically) :biggrin: . Looks like...

Dejah, next time you're in Winnipeg, if you haven't already had the bubble tea at Asia City (Sargent and Young), you really should! But only get one of the fresh fruit varieties. The young coconut is almost like a dessert. I used to get either mango or lychee, but now I find them too sweet. They even have avocado, durian, pandan...all those interesting flavours!

You're absolutely correct. The dispenser, not the drink. ;)