• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

One Day In Philadelphia

bilrus

My wife and I are thinking about driving to Philadelphia from DC this weekend. Of course, we are going to eat and who better to ask than the people who read this board.

We are looking for someplace casual for lunch and something slightly more upscale (but fun) for dinner.

Also I have heard good things about the Reading Farmers Market. Is it really good or hype?

If it is good then lunch near there would be really cool.

Bill Russell

The Reading Terminal Market is an absolute must for lunch.

My choices:

Tommy DiNic's for roast port sandwich (get it with aged provolone and greens).

Salumeria for a very atypical hoagie (get an Italian of Prociutto with the house dressing and artichokes).

Breakfast at either the Down Home Diner or the Pennsylvania Dutch Food Stand. (Treat yourself to a side of scrapple at either joint.)

Pasta By George makes one of the best pizzas in the city.

Freshly made soft pretzels at Fisher's in the Pennsylvania Dutch section of the market. (The kids can watch them being twisted into shape.)

Bassetts Ice Cream. An absolute must! Try the Raspberry Truffle. And strictly as a scientific experiment, try their regular vanilla and compare it to their French vanilla. Again, strictly in the name of scientific advancement.

If you are not going to trek elsewhere for cheesesteak, like Pat's or Geno's, and you absolutely gotta have one, Rick's will do okay. Far from the best in town, but a decent, if not thrilling, sandwich. But I think you'd be better off with Tommy DiNic's roast pork.

If you want a sugar fix, you've got lots of candy choices. Fisher's has a fair selection, but Muller's Chocolates has a lot more, including an astounding conglomeration of licorices, and chocolate molded into just about any and every conceivable shape.

For gifts and toys, try the Pennsylvania General Store, which only features items made in the state. Some wood toys and games may bring back memories.

Enjoy!

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

I think the RTerminal Market is a good choice, too. I enjoy putting together a lunch at the various stands..I wish that some places served smaller portions, so that you could put together a "tasting" of sorts of different foods.

Regarding shopping there, I've also been impressed with some of the cheeses and fish...but am usually in town for other reasons,and don't have anywhere to stash purchases. Last spring, I bought some beautiful shad roe during my lunch there..could not resist the glistening or the price...and then, had to beg a receptionist to use the conference rooms' refrigerator while I spoke at the "Political Advocacy for Non Profit Organizations" Seminar. I'm talking voter registration and GOTV, thinking, " hope no one mistakes my roe for their leftover hoagie!"

If you prefer ethnic, I've been to quite a few above average Vietnamese places right near the convention center...sorry, don't recall the names, but I recognize the awnings!

I think the RTerminal Market is a good choice, too.  I enjoy putting together a lunch at the various stands..I wish that some  places served smaller portions, so that you could put together  a "tasting" of sorts of different foods. 

Regarding shopping there,  I've also been impressed with some of the  cheeses and fish...but am usually in town for other reasons,and don't have anywhere to stash purchases.  Last spring, I bought some beautiful shad roe during my lunch there..could not resist the glistening or the price...and then, had to beg a receptionist to use the conference rooms' refrigerator while I spoke at the  "Political Advocacy for Non Profit Organizations" Seminar.  I'm talking voter registration and GOTV, thinking, " hope no one mistakes my roe for their leftover hoagie!"

If you prefer ethnic, I've been to quite a few above average Vietnamese places right near the convention center...sorry, don't recall the names, but I recognize the awnings!

I am planning on bringing a cooler along in the car, just in case.

Thinking about food while working on voter registration. That sounds like my daily routine. I am a political consultant / voter file vendor in real life but it seems like I spend as much time looking at eGullet as I do on my voter files.

Just kidding (in case the boss (or clients) happens upon this site.)

Its nice to see someone else in the business who has a healthy interest in food. It seems like a cold sandwich at the desk is as into food as most political people are.

Bill Russell

Nobody has mentioned that on Sunday the Reading Market is closed; on Sunday, if you want a quintissential American breakfast, go to Blue In Green, 3rd St just North of Market. Great eggs, homefries, etc., in a great retro setting; for a more laid back breakfast, Metropolitan Bakery on Market 1 block west of Front St; fabulous baked goods, great homemade granola & yogurt, sandwiches, wonderful coffee in an art gallery setting, with changing art exhibits.

In the same area, I would opt for Fork, 3rd & Market, for a wonderful dinner. Creative New American.

Enjoy Philly!!

N.B. A great thing to do in the afternoon is the Walk Philadelphia walking tours, run by a non profit architectural society. Walk Philadelphia Web Site

Edited by menton1 (log)

addendum to menton's post,

blue in green's sansom st locale is also good.

i was just there for 1pm breakfast sunday.

on sansom at jeweler's row, between 7th and 8th.

sansom itself is a smaller street just south of chestnut.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.