• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Petite Cafe, Nutley

I do not know much about restaurant food preparation, however, I have to admit, several people had the mussel risotto and I was wondering how they turned it out so fast. The two times I have made it , it came out wonderfully, hoever, I had to stir for almost 1/2 hour. Ans reheated risotto is worse than the concept of reheated oatmeal. MUSH.

Still, I enjoyed the halibut and scallops. Perhaps the halibut overpowered the other dish.

Ciao

Heuriger Wein is mein Lieblingswein!

well, after reading about The Petite Cafe for a long time here on eGullet, we are finally going to try it for dinner tonight. I had been there for breakfast a couple of years ago & was not impressed, but their dinner offerings certainly look promising. i'll post afterwards.

www.cookstour.netMy Blog

Hi Rosie!!

Yes, It's Karen, sister of cook 123. It's been a long time! :cool:

I haven't been dining out much these days, so my favs are too few to mention. Trying to keep the waistline trim...lol

I had actually thought about dining at The Petite Cafe, last weekend. Then I read you were there that night..It would have been fun seeing you again

Do you ever have your group dinners on the weekend? I would love to join you, one of these days....You, too Tommy!!! I begin a new job on Monday, and will now be working in the city....so weekdays would be hard for me.

Wish my first time at Petite would have been better.

jesus, you're sure a blast from the past!!!! it must be what, 4 years or so??

good to see you around, karen. jump in and get involved! on the NYC board as well if you find yourself grabbing lunch or dinner after work.

and best to cook123 as well.

Edited by tommy (log)

Gonna have to try this place soon. Finally found my way to Nutley for the 1st time with The Rock last week. WILL try The Franklin Steakhouse again though. Didn't see the menu but I've heard many good things. Think I'll sit at the bar.

Sit at the bar...hmmm I wonder why??? :unsure::wink::blink: Anytime you want, I'll join you...place is like a third home for me.

A.D.S.

jesus, you're sure a blast from the past!!!! it must be what, 4 years or so??

good to see you around, karen.  jump in and get involved!  on the NYC board as well if you find yourself grabbing lunch or dinner after work.

and best to cook123 as well.

Thanks Tommy, I will !!

Charlie is doing fine....also keeping away from dining out, but making great meals at home.!!

• 2 months later...

I have been to the Petite Cafe several times. It is indeed very inovative cusine (alligator ettoufe), and the owner Maureen is very nice. The service and atmosphere need improvement to compliment the wonderful menu.

jwjojo--Welcome to eGullet and thanks for your post. I think the charm of Petite Cafe is that it is a storefront BYO. They may not have a fancy atmosphere but the food is sophisticated. Where else do you like to dine?

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

...several people had the mussel risotto and I was wondering how they turned it out so fast...

When you make risotto in a professional setting, it is not uncommon to cook the rice about 3/4 of the way done and then cool it. Then at service, you cook the "additions", finish cooking the rice, and then combine them. That way it only takes about 10-15 minutes to put together the final dish.

And having been he executive chef of a restaurant that was open for all 3 meal periods, plus had a robust catering business, I have to give them kudos for being able to pull it off. Three meal periods is a very hard thing to do, especially if you are trying to be a different restaurant at dinner than you are at breakfast. That's what we tried to do, and you'll notice that I'm using the past tense to describe it :shock:

Unfortunately, it sounds like from the reviews that the breakfast service suffers a little bit.

Nothing says I love you like a homemade salami

So many restaurants......

China 46, Wondees, Sri Thai, Beti Kabab, Paisano's, Finks Funky, Amanda's, Daruma Sushi in Rutherford, Mela Indian, India on the Hudson, Corso in Montclair..find it uneven, Tried the new Rest. in Montclair Fastino...good...not great in my opinion. Like Eperney, good not great, Tuptim Thai, used to like 28 a lot, Marra's in Ridgewood is okay, Tina Louise in Carlsdadt...used to be better. To name a few :biggrin: GREAT website...thank you.

• 1 month later...

I doubt it. The Petite Cafe is a great little restauant. Was there last week and had a most enjoyable meal. Even ran into "Nutley Resident." I assume that this is a nasty rumor by a disgruntled employee or a competitor.

I am merging this topic with the original postings on The Petite Cafe.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

I just received the wine tasting menu, my husband and I will be attending (if we can get a babysitter)

THE PETITE CAFE AND CATERING

503 Franklin Ave., Nutley 973-667-7778

Fax 973-667-7767

WINE TASTING July 28th

7:00 PM

APPETIZER

BAKED CLAMS BOURSIN

WINE

OYSTER BAY SAUVIGNON BLANC (NEW ZEALAND)

APPETIZER

GRILLED CHICKEN YAKATORI

WINE

JEAN-LUC COLOMBO CÔTE BLEUE ROSE (FRANCE)

ENTRÉE

SAUTÉED SHRIMP LYCHEE

WINE

EXP VIOGNIER

DESSERT

FRESH BERRY FEUILLETÉ WITH SABBAYON CREAM

WINE

LES RACINES ALSACE

$50.00 Per Person, Tax and Gratuity Not Included.

• 2 weeks later...
david corcoran rates Petite Cafe 'Good' in tomorrow's NYT.

How do you know of the review if it comes out "tomorrow?" (Just curious) Is it online?

Nutley Resident

-------------------------

Proud to be American

Proud to be a Nutley Township Resident

david corcoran rates Petite Cafe 'Good' in tomorrow's NYT.

How do you know of the review if it comes out "tomorrow?" (Just curious) Is it online?

Some people who have home delivery get the NJ Sunday section of the NY Times on Saturday.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

In the Sunday NY Times of August 1, 2004 (New Jersey section) is a very large article with photograph of Nutley's own Petite Cafe. I don't know if the article is in electronic form anywhere online, but NY Times Food Critic, David Corcoran gave it a Good rating. Congratulations to The Jarets on their accomplishment!

Nutley Resident

Proud to be American

• 2 months later...

Stopped in to TPC today for a late lunch with my mom...and remembered that I have to do this more often! Our lunch was very tasty, though nothing wild (our choice); a Paris salad for me (goat cheese, walnuts + beef tenderloin added by moi to the order) and a tuna wrap for my mom.

There's a sign up that says Chef's Tasting (this) Thursday. Here's the deal: 4 courses (actually 5 with dessert--don't know why they don't just bill it that way) for $40pp. You have to make a reservation, and let them know at that point if there is anything you don't eat or are allergic to. And of course, it's BYO. :wub:

There is also a sign for the next Wine Night, which is when everyone who comes for dinner shares their wines with everyone else. That's on Oct. 20th. Just thought I'd share the info!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

If anyone is interested I just recieved this regardibng their next wine tasting:

THE PETITE CAFE AND CATERING

503 Franklin Ave., Nutley 973-667-7778

Fax 973-667-7767

WINE TASTING October 20th

7:00 PM

APPETIZER

WEINER SCHNITZEL (PAN FRIED LEMON VEAL)

WINE

NIGL VELTLINER

APPETIZER

BAKED CHEESE BAVARIAN STYLE

WINE

HEINRICH ZWEIGELT

ENTRÉE

WILD BOAR WITH QUINCE

WINE

RATSENBERGER 1998 KABINETT

DESSERT

KIRSCH AND DRY CHERRY CUSTARD

WINE

LUCASHOF RIESLING

$50.00 Per Person, Tax and Gratuity Not Included.

Just a point of clarity (in fairness to readers) - please understand that TPC is a BYO and they do not serve wine. You need to bring a bottle of the wine listed in the menu. Of course, that is all explained when you call for reservations. It works out quite nicely. My wife and I are not drinkers but have gone to a few of their wine events. Very lovely and highly informative. Good food and conversation flow with the wines!

Nutley Resident

Proud to be American