• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Petite Cafe, Nutley

Thanks for that clarification!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

• 3 months later...

First time at TPC last night and I was quite impressed with the quality of the fish. Both the ahi tuna and red snapper were cooked perfectly and very flavorful. We also had a nice roasted cauliflower soup and sauteed brie salad. Might have to check them out for brunch now...

Well, I'm convinced! I'll have to get over there for dinner soon and report back. The February wine tasting sounds great (tapas, according to the website).

"If you've heard this story before, don't stop me, because I'd like to hear it again." --Groucho Marx

• 9 months later...
They have changed their menu.  It is no longer the foodie menu, but wraps, and salads and such.  They still have entrees, and I assume specials, but it ain't the same.

Honestly, I was there a few times and was not as impressed as other egulleters. I felt their menu was all over the place..They never quite figured out "what type of restaurant they `wanted to be" ..a bit asian, a bit italian, none of it great, just a cut above mediocre.

Perhaps they've found their niche.

Edited by Cook456 (log)

They have changed their menu.  It is no longer the foodie menu, but wraps, and salads and such.  They still have entrees, and I assume specials, but it ain't the same.

For dinner? That's the kind of menu I've seen at lunchtime, which is the only time I've been there.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

They have combined their lunch and dinner menu. I have always liked their food and I think the new combo menu has brought in more people for them.

They still have some great specials, I just recieved this via email:

SOUP DU JOUR

BUTTERNUT SQUASH BISQUE

APPETIZER

MALANGA CORN PANCAKE WITH WILD BOAR SAUSAGE

ENTREES

PIEDMONTESE SHORT RIBS

PIEDMONTESE SIRLOIN SHORT RIBS, BRAISED IN DARK BEER (DOS XX)AND FINISHED WITH PAN GRAVY

CARIBBEAN CORAL SNAPPER

PINK SKINNED CARIBBEAN SNAPPER WITH SWEET AND SPICY BAJAN MUSTARD SAUCE

PAN FRIED SALMON FILET

CRISPY PAN FRIED SALMON FILET FINISHED WITH SUN-DRIED TOMATOES AND BASIL PESTO SAUCE

CIOPPINO OUR WAY

CLAMS, MUSSELS, SCALLOPS, WOLFISH AND SHRIMP IN BROTH, SERVED WITH SOURDOUGH BREAD

DESSERT

ESPRESSO MOUSSE CHOCOLATE CRUMB PARFAIT

• 2 years later...

I resurrected this old threat from several years ago to sadly announce that The Petite Cafe is closing their doors after 7 years. The owner informed many of the patrons last week that they are moving to a kitchen in Lyndhurst to exclusively produce their very popular stuffed cupcakes for wholesale and mail order. They are trying to obtain a store front on the other end of Franklin Avenue to sell their cupcakes to the public. I don't know much more information, but if you want to know any further details you can call them at 973-667-7778 (I think she said the number will stay the same even in the new location of Lyndhurst). Maureen & Keith's last day is March 16 (a Sunday).

Nutley Resident

-------------------------

Proud to be American

Proud to be a Nutley Township Resident

Wow! Is Lyndhurst slowly trying to become a food-lover's town?!? Go figure! :blink:

I have to say that each time I've had lunch at The Petite Cafe I've enjoyed it, but it's not a place that's even on my radar screen when considering dinner. Can't tell you why that is, but it is. But their cupcakes are delicious, and I've enjoyed them at The Fine Grind, so having them within even closer reach will be good (as well as dangerous). Best of luck to them!

I read the first sentence and nearly had a heart attack. Petite Cafe is going to be the centerpiece of our wedding; we're planning on doing a cupcake cake (but we haven't told them yet, heh) with their cupcakes. I'm glad they're going to be producing the cupcakes exclusively, but I hope we'll still be able to come by and do just one or two.

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

As many know, owners Maureen & Keith Jaret closed their doors due to their new landlords needing to renovate/knock down the building to construct a new jewelry store (Arlington Jewelers). Sunday, March 16, 2008 saw their last day in business at that location. The Star-Ledger produced a very lovely article with several pictures. I could not find the article online. It was a nice tribute to a special part of Nutley. Thanks, TPC, for seven enjoyable years!

jaretrr2.jpg

Nutley Resident

Proud to be American

As JPR reported over here, the site of the former Fortunato restaurant in Lyndhurst is for sale. A few of us were discussing TPC's cupcakes last night and I mentioned that they were moving the baking operation to Lyndhurst-why not take over that space for the restaurant and help Lyndhurst in its (recent) quest for something other than Italian food?!? :biggrin:

As JPR reported over here, the site of the former Fortunato restaurant in Lyndhurst is for sale.  A few of us were discussing TPC's cupcakes last night and I mentioned that they were moving the baking operation to Lyndhurst-why not take over that space for the restaurant and help Lyndhurst in its (recent) quest for something other than Italian food?!?  :biggrin:

Curlz, you should send an email to the Cafe owners via info@thepetitecafe.com and give them the details. As you wrote, they'll be in Lyndhurst anyway!

Many of the patrons received the following email today:

Dear Friends,

We would like to thank all of you for your wonderful warm wishes while we make our transition. So many of you have been calling about your cupcake orders and availability of cupcakes this weekend while we move, well rest assured cupcakes have not stopped. We will have cupcakes all weekend and you can still pick them up at our current location. But, we have found a new home down the road at 231 Franklin Ave. Next to Thai Essence. It is presently occupied by Commissioner Tom Evans, but we worked out an agreement that we will share the space until the election. We will be at that location starting Tuesday April 1st. You can still call in orders that 973-667-7778. We will continue to update you as plans evolve.

Best Wishes,

Maureen and Keith

Nutley Resident

Proud to be American