• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TDG: Wine Camp: A Francophile Love Story

Fat Guy

Craig Camp rides the Iron Horse.

+++

Be sure to check The Daily Gullet home page daily for new articles (most every weekday), hot topics, site announcements, and more.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Most of those who have a personal connection with Iron Horse Vineyards have made that connection through the most aptly named, Joy Sterling, daughter of the founders and the ultimate ambassador for the wines of Iron Horse. It should not go without mention that Joy is also the author of some wonderful books on wine: A Cultivated Life, published by Random House, Vintage Feasting, Vineyard: A Year in the Life of California Wine Country and A Vintner's Guide to Red Wine published by Simon and Schuster.

Joy's book, though, was not well edited and contains many remarkable spelling errors: Names of some French producers were not checked, for example. And she writes about the grape "pomace" (skins) but it was spelled "pumice".

Her enthusiasm is to be applauded, though, even if her dotting of the "i's" and crossing the "t's" is not.

I was a marketing person so I'm blameless!

Those pesky editors.

I can't believe Random House is now my publisher, and I'm the pesky mid-list author who always bothers the poor marketing people. But I digress.

Really, Joy's book is a great read. It made me want to be like her.

Ellen Shapiro

www.byellen.com

Joy's book, though, was not well edited and contains many remarkable spelling errors:  Names of some French producers were not checked, for example.  And she writes about the grape "pomace" (skins) but it was spelled "pumice". 

Her enthusiasm is to be applauded, though, even if her dotting of the "i's" and crossing the "t's" is not.

Which book? She has four.