• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Joan, there a few restaurants in Honolulu that serve jebi churi (and I even remember one in Arizona as well!), but I guess haven't spent enough time in Southern Cal to identify places serving it there. You might trying to go to one of the big Korean supermarkets and see if they have it packaged and / or ask the butchers how it's cut and which restaurants serve it.

I tried to locate some restaurant menus on the web but wasn't too successful. If you want a picture of how it looks like before grilling, here's one from the Yongmunjip restaurant in Seoul. And here's a helpful chart of all the different Korean cuts of neck (chuck) beef, from the Canada Beef Export Federation of all people.

Hope this is at least slightly useful . . .

Also, welcome to eGullet, MarcoPolo!

Sun-Ki Chai
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~sunki/

Former Hawaii Forum Host

Wow, thanks skchai. I should learn to search as well as you. :biggrin:

So jeibi churi is neck meat then? The dish looks familiar, but then it looks like yet another plate of beef. I'll start keeping better track from now on.

The yang, tripe, you were talking about, I think gras double refers to the regular smoothish tripe which is known as double tripe. I think that's right. A lot of times, I see honeycomb tripe, but also the smoother, firmer kind, which I'm not sure is double tripe or blanket tripe or what else. I'll look for websites, if anyone is interested. Here we also see book tripe, esp where there's Vietnamese, I think there's more, but I haven't done a comprehensive survey of tripe offerings.

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

In person, it also looks like yet another plate of beef. Chewy like chadol baegi, but maybe not as fatty.

The yang I usually see at bbq jips is usually the double kind - though if you order seollongtang or other soup containing tripe, it seems like it's usually the honeycomb type.

All these fine distinctions end up just confusing me. . .

Sun-Ki Chai
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~sunki/

Former Hawaii Forum Host

• 4 weeks later...