• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's Pig Pickin'

Varmint

Maybe I could get a good bluegrass band?  Or even a mediocre one?

I'm in.

If Nick brings his guitar, and tommy hauls in his kit, we've got the start of a band -- and I doubt that mediocre would be overstating it. Is it too much to hope that there's a banjo player somewhere on eGullet?

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

That happens to be the Canadian Thanksgiving this year, so I could probably make it of course I'd probably bring my non egullet accountant husband too :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

What a response!

The following eGulleteers have said they're in or think they're in:

hjshorter

ZebA

Marlene

vengroff

Jaymes

=Mark

maggiethecat

Holly Moore

NickN

KatieLoeb

Malawry

Dave the Cook

Notice I did not include tommy. He has to send in a deposit before he can be counted.

If you bring spouses, partners, kids (I have 'em, so I'm not about to exclude them), then we'll have enough of a start to do this. I'll invite the 2 or 3 friends I have. Zebster will invite his closest 50 friends, so we'll have a kick-ass party!

I have a 5 bedroom house, a big basement, and lots of floor space. Of course, remember I have 4 L'il Varmints who like to wake up very, very early!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

If Nick brings his guitar, and tommy hauls in his kit, we've got the start of a band -- and I doubt that mediocre would be overstating it. Is it too much to hope that there's a banjo player somewhere on eGullet?

LOL! well i'm sure we could round up a banjo player in NC for cryin' out loud. :biggrin:

but seriously, wouldn't that be fun?

LOL! well i'm sure we could round up a banjo player in NC for cryin' out loud. :biggrin:

but seriously, wouldn't that be fun?

Yes it would, tommy. So come on down!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I seriously doubt that Scott would want to miss the porky goodness, never mind spend the weekend by himself with both kids, so I will be bringing him and the two little Shorters. :biggrin: We will most likely seek out the nearest suite-style hotel.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Jason and I have been talking about doing a North Carolina furniture buying expedition for a while and it looks like it might actually happen this fall, so we may be able to schedule it for that week. I could probably confirm us, or not, sometime over the summer. How far away are you from the furniture Mecca?

Jason and I have been talking about doing a North Carolina furniture buying expedition for a while and it looks like it might actually happen this fall, so we may be able to schedule it for that week. I could probably confirm us, or not, sometime over the summer. How far away are you from the furniture Mecca?

If it's High Point, that's an hour and a half. If it's Hickory, that's 3 hours.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

That happens to be the Canadian Thanksgiving this year, so I could probably make it of course I'd probably bring my non egullet accountant husband too :biggrin:

Cool!

(Does he play banjo? :unsure: )

(If not, can he learn? He's got five months, you know.)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Cool!

(Does he play banjo? :unsure: )

(If not, can he learn? He's got five months, you know.)

I''ll tell him that :biggrin: He does pretty good Karaoke though :blink:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I was going to suggest I bring hush puppies but despite testing about 12 recipes in the past two months I have the feeling Holly's are even better.

What, me cook?

Oh no, that's not what I was saying. I was just indicating a preference for hushpuppies over those gawdawful cornsticks.

However, as Katie suggested, I'd be glad to whip up a batch of Butterscotch Krimpets. Plenty of room, Katie, though I may be up to my usual tricks and go on an eat-about for a few days afterwards. Glad to get you there at least.

Holly, don't worry, as I really would never make corn sticks. They are awful -- akin to sawdust with a touch of Elmer's glue.

I like my hushpuppies fairly soft, with a fair amount of wheat flour mixed in with the cornmeal, some onion, a touch of sugar, plopped into super hot oil. We can make 'em, it's just a matter of getting the gear set up.

As far as weekends are concerned, I could certainly do it on the Columbus Day weekend. Specifically, Saturday, October 11. For the Northerners out there who get the benefit of a three day weekend, you could have a long weekend. We don't celebrate Columbus Day much around these parts, but I think that would be a good weekend.

what's up with you guys? i love cornsticks

i suppose you don't like deep fried snickers bars either

If it's High Point, that's an hour and a half.  If it's Hickory, that's 3 hours.

Have you seen that comedian who does the bit:

"Hickory! I mean come on, why not just call it Hillbillery"

Kills me every time.

jaymes, can i assume you play the washboard?  :biggrin:

Are you referring to your compact, six-pack tummy?

If so, well then, sure.....

Although it's been a long time. :biggrin:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

it's more like a 12-pack, hon.

Some of us have kegs.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

it's more like a 12-pack, hon.

Some of us have kegs.

Well maybe we can do a little 'keg-bumping.'

You know, 'dancing.'

:biggrin:

Well of course you'll do it in the fall, Dean -- barbecue is not summer food!

And yes, I'd definitely come. I'd even bring deviled eggs.

Kathleen Purvis, food editor, The Charlotte (NC) Observer

Why is the pig in the photo not wearing a baseball cap? I thought that was essential.

Down here, we call them "gimme caps." As in: "Gimme one 'em hats."

And we don't wear baseball hats. We wear NASCAR hats. Preferably with a No. 3. :cool:

Why is the pig in the photo not wearing a baseball cap? I thought that was essential.

And we don't wear baseball hats. We wear NASCAR hats. Preferably with a No. 3. :cool:

And in the winter, we don't wear ski hats or knit hats. We wear "toboggans." Seriously. I still can't bring myself to call them that.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Maybe its only in Mississippi:

From How They Cook Hawgs in Mississippi

After the hawg is prepared, lay him belly down on the grate. Place a new Mississippi State hat on his head between his ears, shades on his eyes, and an Ole Miss baseball cap on his rear end. If he has a bullet hole between his eyes, he will need a bandaid here. The hawg won't cook without these items.

<pic>

Figure 3: Bert and Ernie. You must name the hawgs.

They refuse to cook without personal identities.

And in the winter, we don't wear ski hats or knit hats. We wear "toboggans." Seriously. I still can't bring myself to call them that.

Aw, I bet you'd call it "pop" instead of Co'cola, too.

A long time ago in a place far, far away, I used to pick a five string banjo. As long as everyone plays at half speed, if flexible with tempo and limits the music to "Cripple Creek" and maybe "Cumberland Gap" I might bring mine along, asuming I still remember how to tune it.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

As long as everyone plays at half speed, if flexible with tempo and limits the music to "Cripple Creek"

"Going up Cripple Creek going at a run

Going up Cripple Creek to have some fun..."

Okay, I'm ready. :cool:

Edited by Jaymes (log)