• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cast Iron Skillets/Griddles/Pans

EJRothman

If you see an ugly old cast iron pan at a garage sale, and you have access to a self cleaning oven you're in business.  If it's not warped, run it through a cleaning cycle and you're back to gray metal.  Start all over again.

• 11 months later...

I'm selling some of my cast iron cookware so took some photos, including showing how non-stick well-seasoned cast iron can be.

This is a "vintage" Griswold #3, made in the late '50s, 6 1/2 inches in diameter from rim to rim, not including the pouring lips.

This morning I used about two teaspoons of oil (rice bran oil) added to the pan after it was hot, then added the two eggs.

I covered the pan for a few minutes after the initial setting of the whites.

The eggs slid easily out of the pan with absolutely no sticking, as well, if not better than any non-stick pan.

Of course, I have been using this little skillet exclusively for eggs, since the early '60s so it is very well seasoned - it has been preiodically cleaned and re-seasoned over the several decades I have owned it.

Before:  The brown is polymerlized oil, not rust.

Grisw #3d.JPG

During:

HPIM7521.JPG

HPIM7522.JPG

After:  Just needs wiping with a paper towel.

HPIM7523.JPG

• Like 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett