• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top Pot

I'd love to see one in West Seattle. I think the neighborhoods are especially supportive of their local snack/espresso spots, so Top Pot would find W.S. a warm and friendly home - ideally somewhere near the alaska junction or, even better, Fauntleroy ;-) , tho' we wouldn't want them too close as to hurt The Original Bakery's biz.

Actually, the Dept of Transportation is considering applications for food vendors at Colman Dock right now. I think a Top Pot place on either side--BI or Seattle--would pretty much be able to print money.

I could not agree more with this statement. I would only add buckets and buckets of money. Top Pot, are you listening?

Edited by MGLloyd (log)

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

Actually, the Dept of Transportation is considering applications for food vendors at Colman Dock right now. I think a Top Pot place on either side--BI or Seattle--would pretty much be able to print money.

The location they proposed was inside where people take the esculator down to Alaskan Way. Most people don't go by there. They take the overpass to 1st Ave. So that didn't seem like such a good idea.

Feaster

True--but if you had some good signage, I still think you'd do really well. I know I would make a tiny detour for a Top Pot donut! The little coffee joint on the other side of the pedestrian overpass (has since changed hands) used to do a lot of business, and their food and coffee offerings were only so-so. For walk-on passengers who want to bring in a treat for the office, this would be way more convenient than trucking something all the way from BI (where, as I have mentioned before, there is a serious donut deficiency anyway). The other thing I'd think would help is how many kids (teenagers) are regular ferry commuters for sports events etc. . . isn't that a built-in constituency? Not to mention the ferry workers themselves.

(Yeah, I want the donuts. Mmmmmmmmm. . . . . :wub: )

agnolottigirl

~~~~~~~~~~~

"They eat the dainty food of famous chefs with the same pleasure with which they devour gross peasant dishes, mostly composed of garlic and tomatoes, or fisherman's octopus and shrimps, fried in heavily scented olive oil on a little deserted beach."-- Luigi Barzini, The Italians

Hmmm. what about Wedgewood? Charbuck's is going in at the old Godfather's building. Think Top Pot could compete? As a sidenote: Has anyone noticed that the doughnuts are less oily? Another sidenote: Udub and Swedish medical centers will soon be selling Top Pot doughnuts somewhere in their facilities. Be sure to have a couple before you go upstairs to have your stomach stapled.

Feaster

Edited by Feaster (log)

Swedish medical centers will soon be selling Top Pot doughnuts

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! :laugh:

As for the next location, there are many that would work, but West Seattle seems obvious to me.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I never should have opened this thread.... I may just have to return to Seattle to get real donuts again. We finally have KK in this area (upstate NY) and it appears the either ya luv it or ya don't. very little in between opinion. Top Pot donuts are chewy and have lots of body and character but I don't think they're heavy unless you're using KK as a reference point. The product Top Pot is providing is what we once had in central NY state twenty years ago when there were still a few good qualoity independents around. Add to that the fact that you can get a good espresso or latte and it's a winning combination. I visited the original location on one of my Seattle trips and loved the neighborhood feel to the whole place and the good mix of people. We should be so fortunate to have a place like that around here (but we don't and unless I open it myself it's unlikely to happen).

i2364.jpg

Yup, Overpass Espresso in the T-wing of the Health Sciences Bldg (a mere 20 feet from the classroom I'm locked in all day, every day) has TP Donuts.
I noticed to my delight and horror that they sell Top Pot doughnuts now at the cafeteria at the west end of the UW medical school, which is mere feet from my office. I'm doomed. In fact, they're all over campus, at all the espresso carts.

How did I not know this? :blink: I'm off to get a doughnut right now!

• 3 weeks later...

Top Pot doughnuts started appearing at Swedish a couple of weeks ago, but have already disappeared, replaced once again with an inferior Safeway-type doughnut. I wonder what happened.

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Mmmmm, Top Pot. . . . we went to Zeitgeist Sunday morning and the Top Pot on Fifth the same afternoon!!! :blink:

agnolottigirl

~~~~~~~~~~~

"They eat the dainty food of famous chefs with the same pleasure with which they devour gross peasant dishes, mostly composed of garlic and tomatoes, or fisherman's octopus and shrimps, fried in heavily scented olive oil on a little deserted beach."-- Luigi Barzini, The Italians

• 1 month later...

There's not much I wouldn't do for a raspberry bismarck from Top Pot! :blush:

agnolottigirl

~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh, hush! I'm getting over a nasty stomach virus, cautiously slurping chicken broth at my desk.

Now I want a Top Pot doughnut! Serves me right for opening this thread...

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

:sad: Sorry you're feeling poorly, lala. Get well soon. . . so you can have a donut! Edited by agnolottigirl (log)

agnolottigirl

~~~~~~~~~~~

aren't you sweet... maybe a donut would actually *settle* my tummy...yeah, that's it...it'd be Good for me... :wink:

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

The active Top Pot partners Mark, Joel and Mike

portrait21.JPG

The counter area of the 5th avenue store. Mark and Mike built all the cabinets and installed the terazzo floor

toppot2.JPG

Top Pot hopes to open another 5 to 8 stores during the next 3 years. August is the target date for the next one. I might know later this week where it's gunna be.

Please notify me when you start selling shares of stock. :biggrin:

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

The north Eastside or south Snohomish county! Canyon Park! Alderwood Mall!

Edited to add: Woodinville! Bothell! Kirkland! Redmond!

Edited by MGLloyd (log)

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

There's a mid-century building with hipster cool lurking just beneath the surface available at the corner of Jackson and Rainier Ave.. Lotsa commuter traffic = Perfect place for a Top Pot!

c

i play the rock. you shake the booty.

Bainbridge Island. Ferry. Ferry terminal. (No, I can't stop stumping!!) :biggrin:

agnolottigirl

~~~~~~~~~~~

What great responses! Getting closer to securing a location for another store. The prospective landlord's attorney returned the lease agreement and asked Top Pot to approve some minor changes. Still no signature from them so it ain't official yet.

I hear Krappy Kreme is opening their South Seattle store any day now.

Hmmm. what about Wedgewood? Charbuck's is going in at the old Godfather's building. Think Top Pot could compete?

Feaster - I really like this Wedgewood location idea you mentioned a few months ago. Are you still considering it? You could easily compete with Starbucks in this area in my opinion.

Oh, and thanks for the heads up on the old Godfathers building. I have been meaning to find out what would replace that eye sore. Unfortunately a different eyesore. I do like to see more businesses coming into Wedgewood though. Where Starbucks goes others follow. I think it could possibly become a more interesting retail area. Or maybe I'm just hoping.

More potential Top Pot locations south of Seattle:

In Renton, 3rd and Burnett near the new downtown development and the new transit center. High traffic area. Only a few coffee joints in the area (Met Coffee and Wine Bar is fabulous, but a different beast than Top Pot)

Alternately, a location in Kent at the new Downtown Train/Transfer station. Heavy commuter area and lots of retail spaces planned; construction beginning soon.

In Tacoma, on Proctor near Metropolitan Market/Europa Bistro/Pomodoro neighborhood... or possibly in the Sixth Avenue neighborhood near Il Fiasco and the Harbor Bread Bakery. Both are foody destinations, near UPS.

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni