• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

South City Grill in Mt Lakes

Lreda

After sitting home all day without kids and wanting to find a restaurant with a TV to watch the Masters, Sue and I ventured over to SCG. I wanted to try 3 West but alas no tube. Get to the bar as Mike Weir is on the 17th hole tied for the lead and got a seat in front of the Plasma TV. Only 5 tables in the restaurant and 1 person at the bar. After looking over the winelist which was incredibly over-priced decided to have Chalk Hill Chard '00 $72( Limited white choices besides Chardonnay). Bartender comes back and says they're out. Next, back to the list and ordered Cakebread Chard '00 $68. Bartender comes back, "Ooops all out" . By now I'm figuring someone was too lazy to restock after Saturday service. Orderede Sonoma Cutrer " Les Perres" '01. They had it.

By now another couple comes in and orders wine by the glass. Bartender then serves them before opening our wine. The couple complains the glasses are spotted. She puts our wine on the side now and has a conversation about the cleaning process. Sue is now patting me on the leg as I'm clearly getting pissed. As I'm getting ready to leave but coming up with no place to go to and The Masters heading to sudden death she served the wine. Just to give everyone a idea how over priced this list was the cost of the above wines are:

Chalk Hill $26

Cakebread $ 24

Sonoma Cutrer $ 24

Also had Newton Unfiltered on the list for $78, cost $16

As for the meal it was good. Apps had tuna tempura rolls and Chicken spring rolls

Entrees; Tuna with sobu noodles and crisp vegetables. Very good but would have prefered the noodles not to be so warm, I like the contrast between quickly seared tuna, rare with cold noodles. Sue had Roasted chicken with hericot veres, which was very moist. Declined on coffee as the espresso I had last time was like water.

No management on hand as no one apoligized for the wine problems. I love the decor of the place and the fact that it was quiet. Learned my lesson from the previous visit where the decibel level was extremely high. Will be in no rush to get back. Will try 3 West next or the bistro menu at the Ryland. Has anyone had the bistro menu at The Ryland yet?

Lou

Lreda -

sorry to hear about your experience at SCG. I've been there a few times, and have been impressed with the hustle of the staff. Food has been OK, and I've never been dissed the way you were. Maybe there's something about a nearly empty place that lets the staff relax in front of paying customers?

They have a good selection of draft brews ($4-5 pints, IIRC), and a great bar (watching) scene on Thursday nights. Front room (open kitchen on one side, bar scene on the other) is always more pleasant than the main dining room.

Consider the bright side. One fewer place to be considered as real competition to your shop...

Paul

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

I've been to the SCG on Rt 17 a couple times and thought the food was pretty decent each time. I can't really recall the wine we ordered, but those mark-ups are ridiculous. I've had the tuna, which tasted really fresh, and I think the noodles were served cold. I also had an excellent blackened shrimp wrap with a surprisingly good cole slaw for lunch there...tasted like there was Maytag blue in it. Supposedly they have live jazz on Sundays, never checked it out. I remember one time we showed up there on a whim on a Thursday night and they told us no short sleeves allowed after 7:00 (I had a polo on), so we left. The next time we went at night I was all ready with my long sleeve button down, and 9 out of 10 guys in there had polos on. Ya gotta love that.

• 2 months later...