• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Washington Green Grocer

lackadaisi

Has anyone tried the service provided by www.washingtongreengrocer.com?  It seems like a pretty good idea - they deliver produce.  I was just wondering if anyone could comment on the quality.

Thanks.

The quality is pretty good, and the people who run it are great. I just can't make it work for us. You get a list every week of what's being offered and you have the option of deleting and substituting. The problem we have with the service is that our meals for the week have to be planned around what's in the box. And since it's just veggies we still have to go to the store for other stuff.

At this time of year, you'll do better at the farmer's markets around town.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I've been using Washington's Green Grocer for almost a year and think it is great.

The quality is better then what you'll find in large grocery chains; the vegetables/fruits are fresher and keep longer then what you can get at Giant, Safeway, etc. I'm sure you can get fresher, more selection, better prices through a local farmers market; but I don't have time to. Price wise, I think its a little more expensive then buying the same basket of goods at Fresh Fields, but Fresh Fields isn't at my door when I get home from work, so the extra ~$5 a week is worth it.

I've turned some friends and coworkers onto them also. They like it for the same reasons I do; better quality and convenience.

True, you are limited to what fruits/veg they have on hand, but that's never caused me a problem. I usually take the offering as is, with minor additions (garlic, lemons, limes, herbs) and occasional changes.

My wife's a vegetarian and I rarely cook beef, chicken, pork, fish, etc. The service works well for us because we eat a lot of fruits and vegetables. For the most part, I plan our meals around what's being delivered. They've even gotten me to try vegetables and dishes I never would have had otherwise.

Since there is no commitment, I'd say it is definitely worth trying it for a couple weeks. If anyone's interested, I still have their weekly emails and can post what they've made available.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the information and recommendation. I have since tried them, and I too agree that the quality is excellent. I don't know if I could do it every week, however, because it is a little cumbersome to plan meals based on what they have, but I will continue to use occasionally.

WGG worked out well for me. I like that they are flexible, you can schedule delivery on an irregular basis - I travel too much to commit to a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program for the entire summer and WGG is available all year long! It is great to get an emailed list a few days before delivery, so you can plan the week’s meals and make substitutions. I don't have regular service anymore, but I resume delivery when I am feeling uninspired or don't have time to make it to the farmers market. The quality isn't quite as good, but it is convenient and keeps me eating a healthier diet.