• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Another "Best Places in Jersey"

Rail Paul

White House Subs is very good for subs.  Good cold cuts and excellent fresh rolls.  Worth getting some take-out if you're in AC.

I can't understand the popularity of the white house. IMO, you can get better subs at any number of italian deli's in NJ. They also make a very mediocre cheese steak. Go only to see if they still have the autographed picture of OJ up on their wall of fame. You can get a better meal from the hotdog vendor outside of the Trump Plaza.

White House sucks.

:D

Pete Genovese, writing in the Star Ledger, identifies his twenty best places in NJ.

Pete's Other Gig

Dale's Market on Route 206 in Culver's Lake.

I just caught this. I've been in Dale's Market a hundred times and I like it fine, but I must be missing something. What is their secret specialty that puts them in the top 20?

probably the coleslaw, potato salad and wings.

when we used to go up to sunrise(before johnnybird started our hawkwatch) we would stop there for a takeout picnic lunch before hitting the mountain.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

probably the coleslaw, potato salad and wings. 

when we used to go up to sunrise(before johnnybird started our hawkwatch) we would stop there for a takeout picnic lunch before hitting the mountain.

(Dale's Market rt. 206 in Branchville, NJ)

Thanks, suzi! I knew I could count on you.

Now it makes sense -- I've been missing out on the good stuff because of my aversion to mayo. Kind of like how I'm underwhelmed by the famous cinnamon buns at Worthington's down the road because I like mine dry and minus the raisins. Still don't see how anyone could find them amazing except long-distance AT hikers. But my family loves them & thinks I'm crazy. I don't remember them gushing about the salads at Dale's, though, but when my parents were living there they'd often pick up chicken for a last-minute supper.

About Dale's -- I'm still skeptical (familiarity breeds contempt, maybe, or else the reviewer was cracked or was trying to fill an obscurity quota) but damn proud nevertheless. Mr. Babyluck & I are in the process of selling the property up there and thinking about Dale's has put me in a nostalgic mood that's giving me second thoughts.

Queen of Grilled Cheese

NJ, USA

I can't, for the life of me, figure out how Geneovese left off DELORENZO'S TOMATO PIES in Trenton off his list. It's easily one of the benchamrk pizzas in the US.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Rich, I guess this belongs in a ``pizza" thread, but I would definitely give Brooklyn's Pizza of Hackensack the nod over DeLorenzo; the latters' plain pie is excellent but lacking in the addition of either fresh basil or even oregano.

I can't, for the life of me, figure out how Geneovese left off DELORENZO'S TOMATO PIES in Trenton off his list.  It's easily one of the benchamrk pizzas in the US.

You beat me to the punch on De Lorenzo's, which, IMNSHO, is much better than Taconnelli's (I often hear the two compared).

JB's Bar-B-Q, in Rio Grande (Cape May county, near Wildwood), makes some very good BBQ. I'd put them on any "best of cheap eats" list.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

Passage to Indai has always been in my favorites..I have included it, I think, in my won end of the year lists that we do on the board in January or so. While its not expensive, it is a nice, sit down kind of place..not a shack or take out kind of place. I've been to White house Subs, very good but just like Tastee Subs in Franklin Park and Edison..I think Conte's has a lot more flavor than DeLorenzo's, for pizza in general...I've never been impressed with anything other than the iciness of their beers at the Broadway in PPB.

Tastee Subs in Franklin Park and Edison..

Wow. Tastee Subs is still around? That was a semi-regular weekend lunch stop when I was a poor college student in the mid 80s. A sub and a quart of Frank's Black Cherry soda was under $5. The rolls were big and fresh, the meat was average at best, with lots of shredded lettuce.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

Passage to Indai has always been in my favorites..I have included it, I think, in my won end of the year lists that we do on the board in January or so.  While its not expensive, it is a nice, sit down kind of place..not a shack or take out kind of place.  I've been to White house Subs, very good but just like Tastee Subs in Franklin Park and Edison..I think Conte's has a lot more flavor than DeLorenzo's, for pizza in general...I've never been impressed with anything other than the iciness of their beers at the Broadway in PPB.

Although I appreciate Conte's Pizza in Princeton, its crust lacks the depth of flavor that comes with a Delorenzo's pie, IMHO. And lately the pies at Conte's have been strangely oily and undercooked.

And Delorenzo's blows away the pie in Hackensack (used to be my favorite when relatives lived in Hackensack). Blows away.

Edited by Rich Pawlak (log)

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Now it makes sense -- I've been missing out on the good stuff because of my aversion to mayo.

actually they use a miracle whip - i asked because i don't like mayo. the chicken they offered(not the wings though) was broasted as i remember. really moist.

but wings....... :wub::wub:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Rich...Your entitled, of course, but DeLorenzo would rate much higher w/ me if they discovered fresh herbs, especially fresh basil in season, and the judicious use of decent olive oil, especially their pies cry out for some deft seasoning.. that's why Brooklyn's of Hackensack gets my nod....but hey, that's what makes forums like this fun. Better than them both is the little-known Pizzeria Napoletana, Route 35 South, Point Pleasant Beach.