• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

BBQ Leftovers

fifi

There is a lot of BBQ/Smoking action going on here so I am going to assume that there are going to be lots of big hunks of meat lying around. In my case they don't actually hang around in their original form but I usually have some respectable sized chunk as a leftover.

It occurs to me that a bunch of you creative types out there have figured out what to do with leftover BBQ and might like to share.

I will share a recipe for posole that I got in Queretero, Mexico some years ago. (Posole is the Mexican tern for hominy or a stew with hominy in it.) It was served at lunch in this wonderful restaurant on the square. It was SO GOOD that I insisted on talking to the chef. Between my bad Spanish and his bad English, I eventually figured out what he did. They make it from the leftover smoked meats from the day before. This is one of those things that turns out to be a lot more than the sum of its parts. I have had friends and family DEMAND that I do some smoking just so I can make this.

Simply put... You take 3 or 4 cups of diced or shredded meat, 2 cans of hominy, 2 small cans chopped green chiles, onion, garlic, Mexican oregano and about 4 cups of liquid (I like to use beer) and just stew it up. Technique is simple. Saute the onion and garlic, add the meat and liquid and simmer about 30 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer about another 15 minutes.

I took a look at the new recipe site and will put it in there like a real recipe if anyone is interested.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I've never heard of adding smoked meat to posole but it sure sounds good. Queretaro is a great city with great food.

I like using leftover BBQ (except there usually isn't any left over :sad: ) to make fried rice.

I had never heard of it either. Neither had any of my Mexican food freak friends. And we all go down there a lot.

Fried rice! Why didn't I think of that?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

My method for using leftover pulled pork is best accomplished using a Pie Iron, but could also be done on one of those indoor grilling machines or just grilled in a skillet.

Place bread butter side down on half of iron. Add shredded pork, sliced red onions, cheese (I like pepper jack) and a bloop of Hoboken Eddies Mean Green hotsauce. Place another slice of bread butter side up on top. Close and latch the pie iron and cook over fire/stove turning occasionally until medium browned.

A taste sensation!

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Do you know about barbecue hash, usually found in South Carolina? I've found several versions: Some of it is a way to make a hash out of leftover barbecue. Some of it uses parts of the pig not used in the barbecue. (You don't want to know -- think pig liver. :huh: ) And some of it involves beef or venison and is a sort of stew served on the side with barbecue, sort of the way Brunswick stew is used in North Carolina.

Kathleen Purvis, food editor, The Charlotte (NC) Observer

OK... I'll bite. How do you get from split pea soup to 5 pork salad??????

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I added "Barbeque Posole" to the recipe site. My hats off to the site developers. Really cool!

Great ideas so far. I am making a list.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

If you have access to the NYT Cookbook, their Western Beef and Rice Casserole is pretty good. I made it with bits of leftover steak the first time, and it was fab. Since then it's been pretty good, but not as good as with the steak. I'm sure it would work nicely with BBQ.